It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin vs. Obama... Who Has More Experience?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
reply to post by mhc_70

Yup, i guess, getting elected to the senate and voting on hundreds of bills is one accomplishment.

Here are a few of his accomplishments while working for the state senate:

Voted to end $300 million worth of tax breaks for businesses. (2004)

Voted for having Illinois endorse embryonic stem cell research. (2004)

Voted against restrictions on public funding of abortion. (2000)

Successfully co-sponsored a prescription drug discount buying club program for seniors and the disabled. (2003)

Unsuccessfully co-sponsored ban on discrimination based on sexual orientation. The measure became law after Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate. (2003)

Successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform called the Gift Ban Act. (1998)

Here is a link to most everything he has done, including the committees he is/was on. It also has more voting statistics and bills that he has introduced.
Obama

Do you have any more info/accomplishments on Palin or have we tapped that well.(pun intended.)

BARRACK OBAMA was the PRESIDENT of the HARVARD LAW REVIEW, chosen out of 18 candidates.

LITTLE attention is paid to this, but this position is like being the most excellent of the excellent in the field of law. WORLD CLASS, at arguably one of the most academically
prestigious institution in the world...

I'm my opinion this experience is one of his strongest and most important attribute as pertains to "experience".

The POSITION of POTUS require a great deal of legal understanding and hopefully critical thinking.

I DOUBT that GODDESSARAH has even a miniscule portion of the deep understanding of the law that OBAMA possesses.

FOR all you nay sayer this position is so hard to obtain that the statistical chances are
in the billions.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

BARRACK OBAMA was the PRESIDENT of the HARVARD LAW REVIEW, chosen out of 18 candidates

look - for them to understand the importance of that role

they first have to know what Harvard is.

They have no time between nap time and recess to figure it out at this point...

I'd save my wrists, because these guys are going to give us carpel tunnel

and if McCain gets elected, you wont be able to afford health insurance to take care of it...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
reply to post by mental modulator

BARRACK OBAMA was the PRESIDENT of the HARVARD LAW REVIEW, chosen out of 18 candidates

look - for them to understand the importance of that role

they first have to know what Harvard is.

They have no time between nap time and recess to figure it out at this point...

I'd save my wrists, because these guys are going to give us carpel tunnel

and if McCain gets elected, you wont be able to afford health insurance to take care of it...

I admit total ignorance to the significance of being President of Harvard Law Review. Can you explain the significance of this position in terms of running for POTUS?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ
Obama is running for President. Palin will be a Vice President. Big difference.

Honestly, it still bothers me. Palin may be running for VP but McCain is 72 and in questionable health. If (god forbid) something happened to McCain and she had to take the office as President I don't think she could handle it.

The politics on Capitol Hill (I work here) are far different then anything a Mayor or Gov. would have to deal with and that is saying a lot. Palin served on a city council with a population smaller then the one a very good friend served on for four years. (25,000 population) She served as mayor in a town no bigger then the membership of a national union were I was a board member for years. Her past experience as a Mayor or City Council member does not impress me in the least. My friend and I probably made more decisions in a week then she did in a month. Nothing about her experience impresses me at all.

Obama, on some level is less experienced then McCain but in my opinion they are both born of the same tree. Obama has the "on the ground" experience that a agree with while McCain has been a politician for far too long, dug in with the "old guard" and would never upset the status on the hill. Obama is a fresh unknown and I think that is what we need to get our foreign policy back on track and some fresh perspective from someone our age and general background.

Besides, we all know Bush either rolled over his advisers or he has some stupid ones...one thing for sure if the right mixture of level headed advisers assist Obama and he actually listens to them (something I think Bush never did and McCain is too rock headed to ever do.) it will make the perfect synergy.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
I admit total ignorance to the significance of being President of Harvard Law Review. Can you explain the significance of this position in terms of running for POTUS?

From Wikipedia:

"The Review is one of the most cited law reviews in the United States and considered by many to be the most prestigious. It is published monthly from November through June, with the November issue dedicated to covering the previous year's Supreme Court Term. The review has a circulation of about 8,000,[1] and also publishes online. In addition, it publishes the online-only Harvard Law Review Forum, a rolling journal of scholarly responses to the main journal's content."

According to this New York Times article:

Law reviews, which are edited by students, play a double role at law schools, providing a chance for students to improve their legal research and writing, and at the same time offering judges and scholars a forum for new legal arguments. The Harvard Law Review is generally considered the most widely cited of the student law reviews. On his goals in his new post, Mr. Obama said: ''I personally am interested in pushing a strong minority perspective. I'm fairly opinionated about this. But as president of the law review, I have a limited role as only first among equals.'' Therefore, Mr. Obama said, he would concentrate on making the review a ''forum for debate,'' bringing in new writers and pushing for livelier, more accessible writing.

The president of the law review usually goes on to serve as a clerk for a judge on the Federal Court of Appeals for a year, and then as a clerk for an associate justice of the Supreme Court. Mr. Obama said he planned to spend two or three years in private law practice and then return to Chicago to re-enter community work, either in politics or in local organizing. Professors and students at the law school reacted cautiously to Mr. Obama's selection. ''For better or for worse, people will view it as historically significant,'' said Prof. Randall Kennedy, who teaches contracts and race relations law. ''But I hope it won't overwhelm this individual student's achievement.''

An article on how surprisingly fair and balanced he was

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Obamas nickname is: Barry Obama; “The One”?? Who besides the right bloggers have ever called him this?

"A light will shine down upon you..." LOL

This guy came out of virtually nowhere, gives lofty speeches like they are sermons, and draws huge crowds who fawn over him like a rock star. Obama himself and others in the Democrat Party proclaim him to be the one we have been waiting for (Pelosi even said he has been sent from God). Obama asks you to believe in him (change you can believe in). Given all that, I think the term "The one" is quite fitting in a lighthearted way. Lighten up, it's the silly season.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by mhc_70]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

So let me get this straight. You admit ignorance as to how having an indepth knowledge and understanding of the laws of the country you are the president of can be helpful? Go read the patriot act and then you may see how understanding simple things, like the constitution can be very helpful for a president.

It's like admitting that you don't understand the fact that a chess player that knows all of the rules of chess will perform better than one that doesn't.

Palin doesn't even know what the vice-president does, forget understanding the laws of the country. I wonder what would happen if a tape surfaces of Obama asking what the president is suppose to do.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Intilus]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Its sad Obamas supporters are so desperate to show a level of experience they have to resort to what he did in college.

Kudos to him for being on the national review at Harvard, but how has he applied, in real life not college, what he learned while there should be the real question.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by mhc_70]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I find it interesting that the dems are so concerned with the experience level of Palin, why is Obama running for POTUS and not Biden?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhc_70
I find it interesting that the dems are so concerned with the experience level of Palin, why is Obama running for POTUS and not Biden?

Obama is running for president because he wanted to, he is the candidate because the constiutency voted for him to be that candidate.

Palin was selected by McCain and/or his advisors.

Its sad Obamas supporters are so desperate to show a level of experience they have to resort to what he did in college.

Kudos to him for being on the national review at Harvard, but how has he applied, in real life not college, what he learned while there should be the real question.

Did you already forget all of the accomplishments that have been posted repeatedly in this thread. I guess using what you did in college to eventually make it to the top legislative body in the country is pretty weak.
I'm sorry that he has chosen a different life path than some. His credentials could have allowed him a judicial seat or any number of things but he chose the path he chose. I'm sorry that a Magna Cum Laude, Harvard Law graduate, who worked his way through the state of illinois senate and eventually to the US Senate is not enough accomplishments for you. But most would say that he has accomplished quite a bit.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Obama is running for president because he wanted to, he is the candidate because the constiutency voted for him to be that candidate.

Palin was selected by McCain and/or his advisors.

Did you already forget all of the accomplishments that have been posted repeatedly in this thread. I guess using what you did in college to eventually make it to the top legislative body in the country is pretty weak.
I'm sorry that he has chosen a different life path than some. His credentials could have allowed him a judicial seat or any number of things but he chose the path he chose. I'm sorry that a Magna Cum Laude, Harvard Law graduate, who worked his way through the state of illinois senate and eventually to the US Senate is not enough accomplishments for you. But most would say that he has accomplished quite a bit.

Obama has lived the American dream and, no doubt, should be highly commended for what he has achieved. But the title of this thread is "Palin vs. Obama... Who Has More Experience?"

Non of the examples given in this thread pale in comparison to what Palin has done to gain experience for the POTUS.

Besides, comparing experience levels between a candidate for VP and POTUS should have like a like a 10 swing handicap.

It should not even be close.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Why does the obvious have to be flayed out for the thumb less.

Palin is put against Obama.. because McCain is a decrepit old codger riddled with cancer who is 73 years old.

That and if you cannot notice how far he has slid down the slide on mental cognitional abilities, since this election cycle has gone up a few notches....Then you deserve to live in the Hand Maids tale...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

If your going to make a comparison then compare apples to apples. Your talking about "Vice" Presidents. If thats the case, Biden has the win hands down. If Palin was all that "Great" she would be on the Big Ticket. Face it, all the spin in the world will not make her a somebody. In charge of Alaska National Guard? Whooopey. Now thats quite a qualification. The woman is a loser for anyones ticket. Wait and see...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zastava
reply to post by jamie83

If your going to make a comparison then compare apples to apples. Your talking about "Vice" Presidents. If thats the case, Biden has the win hands down. If Palin was all that "Great" she would be on the Big Ticket. Face it, all the spin in the world will not make her a somebody. In charge of Alaska National Guard? Whooopey. Now thats quite a qualification. The woman is a loser for anyones ticket. Wait and see...

I agree, you have a point, but it seems to be getting missed by the fact Obama picked Biden while running on a campaign of change...more "do as I say, not as I do".

Contrast that to Palin and McCain has stolen the flag of reform and change and given conservatives something to vote for.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Palin is commander of the Alaska National Guard. Obama has no similar experience.

Palin is chair of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission. Obama has no similar experience.

Palin is chair of the National Governors Association (NGA) Natural Resources Committee. Obama has no similar experience.

In fact, in the last 18 months while Palin was working on solutions to the energy problem Obama has been running for office.

All that tells me is that Palin can play weekend warrior once each month and a couple of weeks each year; Palin can keep Bush's oil buddies the fat cats they are already; and Palin can work from the inside to destroy any chances this country has to considerably lower the United States' dependence on oil while appearing to be the golden child of McBush.

She's in bed with the Bush administration so to me, that means she is as crooked as Bush, Cheney, and McBush/McSame.

Personally, I am not that thrilled with Obama because I was hoping for Hillary but if I can't have Hillary on the ticket, I'll choose Obama. Between McSame/McBush and Obama, I'll choose Obama as he is the lesser of the two evils and at least Obama acts as if he cares more for the public than the rich buddies that Bush and McBush want to keep rolling in the money.

It is well overdue to get an idiotic republican out of office, especially one that is more of the same (ie Bush & his puppetmaster Cheney). It's my hope that Obama will hire a special prosecutor to go after the Bush/Cheney team and all the administration employees that perpetuating the lies over the last 8 years; then the time will be right to put Bush/Cheney, and the B/C cronies in the hands of the UN World Court so the Bush/Cheney & crowd can be tried on treason and inhumane treatment against prisoners of war, which is a slap in the face of the Geneva Convention rules as it relates to POWs.

It is long overdue for Bush, Cheney, and company to face what they shoved upon Sadaam. It's time for these men to pay the piper... WITHOUT ANY PARDONS!

SJ

[edit on 1-9-2008 by sammyjo]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sammyjo

All that tells me is that Palin can play weekend warrior once each month and a couple of weeks each year; Palin can keep Bush's oil buddies the fat cats they are already; and Palin can work from the inside to destroy any chances this country has to considerably lower the United States' dependent on oil while appearing to be the golden child of McBush.

She's in bed with the Bush administration so to me, that means she is as crooked as Bush, Cheney, and McBush/McSame.

Personally, I don't care for Obama. I would rather have Hillary but if we cannot have Hillary then Obama is the lesser of two evils.

SJ

Any source for this rubbish?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

Yes, there's proof and it consists of learning to read as well as choosing documents that do not come from the same source such as Fox news. Read a bit of REAL news for a change!

SJ

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sammyjo
Yes, there's proof and it consists of learning to read as well as choosing documents that do not come from the same source such as Fox news. Read a bit of REAL news for a change!

I can read and I anxiously await your source for that rubbish

All that tells me is that Palin can play weekend warrior once each month and a couple of weeks each year; Palin can keep Bush's oil buddies the fat cats they are already; and Palin can work from the inside to destroy any chances this country has to considerably lower the United States' dependent on oil while appearing to be the golden child of McBush.

SJ

Quite an imagination you have there!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by davion
So much for McCain preaching experience, now his running mate has even less experience than Obama.
[edit on 29-8-2008 by davion]

Let's face it, the only reason McSame/McBush chose a female running partner is to garner votes that would have otherwise gone to Hillary so now he is hoping to pull Hillary backers to his side and away from the Obama camp, which makes makes McSame/McBush's decision one of the top idiotic choices of all time.

SJ

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

I am not your undergraduate or your law clerk. Do the research on your own. If you have trouble with the alphabet, then I think it is time to return to kindergarten and then work your way back toward high school; perhaps by then you will be able to do your own research.

I did my research. Now you just have to bite the bullet and do your own.

SJ
PS: My days of law clerking are over.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join