It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia could destroy NATO ships in 20 mins: Admiral

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

www.ibnlive.com

Moscow: Russia's Black Sea Fleet is capable of destroying NATO's naval strike group currently deployed in the sea within 20 minutes, a former fleet commander said Friday.

"A single missile salvo from the Moskva missile cruiser, the flagship of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, and two or three missile boats would be enough to annihilate all the NATO ships deployed in the Black Sea," Admiral Eduard Baltin said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I think we are down to playing Russian Roulette with a shotgun.... just comes down to who's gonna go first?

www.ibnlive.com

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Looks like Big Bear is fully awake and prepared to counter every threat.

'Russia mulls EU oil cut'

Russia is reportedly preparing to cut oil supplies to Poland and Germany in response to threatened EU sanctions over the Georgia conflict.

European diplomats say Moscow has sent a clear signal it will retaliate if the EU imposes sanctions arising from the Georgia conflict during an emergency summit of to be held on Monday.

According to one newspaper report, rumours are circulating in oil markets about a possible cut in oil flow through the Druzhba pipeline that feeds both Poland and Germany.

source

Looks like Russia can put out their own rumors that counter even the slightest thought of putting sanctions on them. It's nice being back to two bullies on the playground.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by airteck

www.ibnlive.com

Moscow: Russia's Black Sea Fleet is capable of destroying NATO's naval strike group currently deployed in the sea within 20 minutes, a former fleet commander said Friday.

"A single missile salvo from the Moskva missile cruiser, the flagship of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, and two or three missile boats would be enough to annihilate all the NATO ships deployed in the Black Sea," Admiral Eduard Baltin said.

Maybe thats a hint at things to come?

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Nice?

It's nice being back on the brink of nuclear war? It's nice that Poland and Germany might have most of their energy shut off on them? You think its nice that Russia is issuing these thinly veiled military threats at its neighbors every day?

Make no mistake, the West has been trying to find a diplomatic resolution to this conflict since it began, while Russia has been annihilating its neighbor and literally threatening to use nuclear weapons on anyone that dares to defy their will. And while Europe and the U.S. looks for a way to avoid military confrontation and conflict at all costs, Russia threatens to destroy their entire fleet... and you think it's nice?

Boy, the standards for this site have sure gone to crap.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Russias got to be mad if they are willing to take on the world

nuclear war is definitely looks like its going to happen and i wonder if this is exactly how they planned it all to happen.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
QUOTE FROM ARTICLE IN QUESTION:

However, Baltin said the chances of a military confrontation between NATO and Russia in the Black Sea are negligible.

"We will not strike first, and they do not look like people with suicidal tendencies," he said.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
That's right... nice.

Nice to be getting back the balance of power. For every action there should be an equal reaction. Since the end of the cold-war there has been NO balance. One bully in the school yard stealing anyones lunch money they wanted.

So yes..... NICE.

Have you forgotten that prior to 1991 these two forces have over 40 years of experience flexing their muscles as we are seeing right now. Only difference is the Internet and media with more information available.

There will be no conflict. If you get the irony of my "Russian roulette comment with a shotgun" you can't win. First one that acts is done.

Smarten up and lose the fear that the world is going to end.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Cheers for the rest of that quote, Pixie.

It doesn't really make me any less nervous about the situation, though. I mean, what was the alternative?

"Actually, yes - we will strike first... and NATO are completely mental."

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
Make no mistake, the West has been trying to find a diplomatic resolution to this conflict since it began, while Russia has been annihilating its neighbor and literally threatening to use nuclear weapons on anyone that dares to defy their will.

When you say "trying to find a diplomatic resolution" I assume you mean issuing new threats of punishment and sanctions every day, while encouraging the Baltic States to turn against Russia and host US missiles in their territory.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Russia is just posing and reasserting themselves once again as a major world power. Now that they have condensed there states and minimized there own conflicts to be more productive in today’s world markets.
The threats are there but they know upsetting the world’s political and financial markets will greatly hurt there own interests.
They know nuclear confrontation, if only fractional, will upset balance of world powers and they neither have the manpower or resources for a long engagement of military force.
We all need to except that the Bear is done hibernating and is tired of all the sticks poked at it over its slumber.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

Make no mistake, the West has been trying to find a diplomatic resolution to this conflict since it began ...

Then why on earth did the the USA push Georgia into attacking Osstetia?

Why did the USA have Special Forces and other "advisers" on the ground in Georgia?

And why on earth does the USA believe that they have a right to the oil that is shipped via Georgia from Iran to Russia and other countries in the region?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 2stepsfromtop

Exactly.

Once the ceasefire was on, what did the US do? They claim they sent aid... but aid usually doesn't involve giving Humvees, Weapons, Ammo, etc. to the Georgian military. Unless they're using a new dictionary I haven't been introduced to yet.

Handing military hardware to the same military that just shelled a city... this doesn't sound like diplomacy.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
thats funny matt, i thought western powers INSTIGATED this conflict. And of course, russia is supposed to just stand by while the west tries to install a missile defense system that would "supposedly" make russias nuclear arsenal obselete? at the same time that the west is now attempting to advocate nuclear first strike as an option in future engagements?? The way i saw it, russia advanced to the defence of ossetia, retaliated by destroying MILITARY targets (as opposed to georgias attacking almost all civilians...with western supplied weapons), and then pulling back and holding positions. If russia was really "annihilating its neighbor" as you say, the whole of Georgia would have been destroyed in half of the first day. Stop pushing your propaganda and fearmongering upon a population who can read the truth for themselves, and stop changing the facts around...thats called lieing

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
"We will not strike first, and they do not look like people with suicidal tendencies."

No, they'll certainly do whatever they can possibly do to make it look like someone else always starts it. I particularly like the veiled egotistical threat in the second half of that quote.

Of course, if we're talking Global Thermonuclear World War III, then both of my sentences become moot as well. And that's the point, I suppose.

As long as there is more than one superpower, I think we're much more likely to stave off any major attack, wouldn't you say? Russia is simply playing their part in this global Chess match, and they're playing it well.

With this in mind, let's just hope no one cheats.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well i guess if all the NATO ships just sit there and not take any defensive measures and as soon as the first missle is fired from a Russian ship, the rest of the NATO ships just sit there and watch to be sunk one by one, then yes i guess that would take about 20 minutes LOL.

SOmehow, i just dont see it going down quite like that.

www.ibnlive.com

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop
Then why on earth did the the USA push Georgia into attacking Osstetia?

Really? Where did you read that? That statement that Putin made? Did he have any proof?

Why did the USA have Special Forces and other "advisers" on the ground in Georgia?

When? Where were they? Proof?

And why on earth does the USA believe that they have a right to the oil that is shipped via Georgia from Iran to Russia and other countries in the region?

Did the US make any claims for the oil? Don't remember that.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Once the ceasefire was on, what did the US do? They claim they sent aid... but aid usually doesn't involve giving Humvees, Weapons, Ammo, etc. to the Georgian military. Unless they're using a new dictionary I haven't been introduced to yet.

Dude, that was stuff that was either seized at the port waiting to be shipped back to the US, or stuff that the Georgians had already bought and was captured during the initial fight. The US hasn't sent any Humvees or weapons to Georgia.

And once the ceasefire was signed, the Russians just consolidated their positions and set up checkpoints instead of leaving the area.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

NO, THEY CANT

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet

NO, THEY CANT

fire enough missiles at those ships....most will get through, so yes, they could destroy nato ships that quickly.

people seem to really underestimate Russia, you'll regret that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join