It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invitation for opinions: My internal debate on taking a hiatus from ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It has recently been said, and with good cause to believe it, that there are many seasonal ups and downs, as participation varies with new members, and to some degree, the participation of the more seasoned.

There is no doubt that the content offered by those participating in this social experiment is to a very real degree, excellent beyond comparison to any other.

But as some may have also noticed. Our content seems to have been infiltrated by those who's agenda has distinctly little to do with 'Denying Ignorance." And, as paranoid as this may sound, I am fearing that some of our content is actually being used by those who wish to oppose such a goal.

I have begun seeing, within MSM content of many nations, statements and opinions that I fear may have actually come from ATS itself. Whether for right or wrong, I am torn by the conflict that we could be innocently helping the predatory or opportunist to defeat what many people would see as a noble goal.

I feel that we may be undermining our own efforts. Perhaps this is 'paranoid thinking.' Or perhaps the enemy - 'fear.'

When we tell ourselves that organizations or states are telegraphing there intent, we are giving them an opportunity to 'correct' their image for the consumption of all? The Media, clearly savvy and adept at controlling world opinion, is not devoid of those who know. Is it unreasonable to suspect for example the recent 're-branding' of the NAU by transnational corporate interests?

I will not belabor the point further. Could it be that our little warehouse of alternative information were chock full of timeless wisdom; that apparently disparate elements can be synthesized into a powerfully cohesive message that threatens the staus quo; that the elements contained within could bring forth a conceptual document to challenge their own creeds and projects?

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I have begun seeing, within MSM content of many nations, statements and opinions that I fear may have actually come from ATS itself. Whether for right or wrong, I am torn by the conflict that we could be innocently helping the predatory or opportunist to defeat what many people would see as a noble goal.

I have to question this statement from your post.

As much as I'd like to believe that ATS members are the best informed and most intelligent people on this earth I know we are not the only people or group that use their brains and make assessments concerning our issues.

Lately I have talked with strangers that bring up the subjects we discuss. Both my children have businesses that deal directly with the public. I spend time just hanging out with them and meeting people. There are people that talk about the very same issues we discuss. It is comforting when I meet the stranger that attempts to enlighten me about the world situation. It is nice to talk face to face with other people that think like me.

I would miss you if you left ATS. Your posts are informative and well thought out. You do deny ignorance.

Sometimes a break is just what you need to clear your thoughts. If you do take your leave I hope you will return soon.

Best wishes,
Marilyn

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I know, perhaps it's just 'political' fatigue. I am not denying my intention is to stay, but I thought perhaps others may have had similar reservations.

I will be patient, it's a fault of mine.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I myself took about a 3 month break from ATS earlier in the year. I had gotten to the point where I was spending 8 hours a day refreshing threads looking for new posts. All day every day I did this. What I came to realize, is that there is nothing really happening here. Yes there are some excellent threads and some excellent people, but over all, this is an entertainment site. Not only did this obsession take over my personal life, and make some of my friends and family question my sanity, but I was getting furious with some of the other people here.

In any case, I know this is not quite why you are talking about leaving, but the moral of my story is this. Yes it is a good idea to take a break for a while. Trust me you won't miss anything

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I would say that if you think you need a break, you probably need a break.

I've been in a similar position, and a few days off from the board works wonders, because it allows you to regain perspective. I immersed myself in mainstream media for a week, and when I came back I realised just what a breath of fresh air this board really is.

The key is, I think, to understand that no one knows the actual "truth" about anything except the actual people involved - everything else is educated guesses and speculation. Some people make better guesses than others and some are simply just more convincing liars

Yes, there are probably posters on ATS with agendas, but when you step back and look at what the MSM produces, its nothing but agenda driven.

I guess you have to step into the fire sometimes to realise that it burns, in order to prevent yourself being incinerated.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I think you can do whatever you please. It's amazing for me, when I don't come here in a while, then all of a sudden I decide to come back and find some very intriguing threads going around. It's like I've been missing something that I would not otherwise know, because you can't find a bigger site for these taboo and these topics that are not discussed to a good extent on mainstream media.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Sometimes you need to just get up from the desk, take a day or a week or a month and get your mind back into reality.

You can lose days on this site, it happens. Hell, I wonder if some of these people even sleep

You are probably fatigued and feeling burned out as a result of all of the chaos and political crapolla that has been bombarding the board as of late.

Ultimately you know what is right for you, and if your body or mind is saying it needs a break then listen to it. ATS isnt going anywhere, you can come back whenever you want.

I have had to take several long breaks from this site since joining. It is a great place but it can consume your life if you arent careful.

As for people frequenting this site who may have an agenda, absolutely there are. But what power do they have over us? None.

So do yourself a favor, take a long holiday weekend, get out and breathe fresh air, go somewhere new and most of all have yourself some fun.

I for one would hate to see you bail for good because I enjoy reading your posts, but I cant blame you for taking time out.

We all need a break from time to time, and when you come back the same faces will greet you upon your return.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I took a three week break a little while ago. And what I realized is that the same good stuff and the same crap was here when I got back. So nothing gained nothing lost either. Of course I was sitting on a beach in Greece when this happened so neither the GFL nor Misters McCain and Obame were much in my thoughts. I missed weedwhacker though!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
It's useful to take breaks from here every once in a while. I like going on the ATS website. I made a habit of it myself. When I feel like going on ATS but not reading about politics I go to BTS and I can talk about what's on my mind over there.

I really like BTS. It's like the anti-ATS ATS website. It allows me to read things connected to the real world not politics related on ATS so I don't get sucked into the black hole that is ATS.

Also, if you want to take a break from ATS, go for it. Just take a few walks outside... these solitary walks should really clear your mind. You can think about whatever you want to think outside.

Read a few books too. If you find these member posts too unnerving perhaps a book with a plot not related to politics will help ease your mind from thinking about all of these schemes and evil politicians.

Talk to people. Talk to your friends. Hang out with them. Why not have an all-MSM day? You'd take a break from ATS and watch the television networks for news like you did in the old days. See how it was back then.

Just a few suggestions... if you need a break from ATS GO FOR IT!

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
My vote would be no, don't go nowhere. You are allowed one meal a day, and you better be in front of ATS when you eat that. And installing extension keyboard, monitor and mouse into your bathroom for those "indisposed" occasions is highly recommended- heck, just ask SO or Springer how well that works.

new topics

top topics

join