It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA to irradiate green leafy veggies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

FDA to irradiate green leafy veggies

www.care2.com

Well they did it, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has decided to allow food producers to irradiate fresh spinach and iceberg lettuce, effective immediately.

Food irradiation is a processing technique that exposes food to electron beams, X-rays, or gamma rays. It is used to kill bacteria that cause food poisoning, such as salmonella, campylobacter and E. coli. According to Dr. Urvashi Rangan, an environmental health scientist and policy analyst at Consumers Union, irradiating food “does not make it radioactive. But understand that, for example, the maximum dose of irradiation on meat is about 4.5 kiloGrays, which is equivalent to about 7 million chest X-rays.” Cough.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
For those in the know with regards to health matters about the government trying to own nature"especially raw foodists and green smoothie drinkers". Here is another one to hit the nose in the bud.
They are starting to irradiate greens lettuce in America and UK without need for labelling them. So just a warning that what we eat will be less nutritious and more toxic. As most of us know they are trying to own nature from gmo, irradiation etc. They are downgrading health foods to be merely junk food and nothing more. So the important vitamins, minerals etc etc will be either taken out or replaced with synthetic types nto natural to the human body. The more we understand the benefits and healing from nature the more its taken away from us. So that all that is left standing is the tyranny of the chemical junk world to bring on more endless disease and death.
They are one step ahead of humans who want to gain true health. The mroe awakened and intelligent we become the mroe they work around it it to keep us diseased and buying into thier fake foods and chemical drugs under the guise of health care. Mus tof us know nature works but will they want you to know. NO! There is no money in it so they are liskely to destroy it before we receive any benefit from it whatsoever.

www.care2.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
They should have to label this.
Besides from the fact that its utterly absurd and the risks far outweigh the benefits.
What if someone already on some radiation treatment eats it?
They already have just tipping the high dose in there body and this puts them over the top and kills them.
These people are freaking nuts.Why on earth would you want to or need to do this.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
FDA is now in bed with big pharma. So rest assured more of these absurdities will come about.
When you dig deep and see how many people are curing themselves from nature such as juicing, raw foods, herbs etc. You then wonder why they are trying to destroy nature and keep people sick. The more intelligent we become in researching benefits in nature, grow our own food etc, the more their tactics come to light and the more silly they begin to look when they use excuses to underestimate our questioning.
When they do the same type of evil often enough they need to expect people will awaken and question it sooner or later. Especially when the only alternatives they give us lead to earlier deaths.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Just as you don't become radioactive when you get an x-ray, foods that are irradiated don't become radioactive when exposed to gamma-radiation.

So there's no additional danger to patients.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The food will not contain radiation. It will not be pushing anyones dosemeter over the edge.

Radiation like light is not there without the source.

They are exposing the food to a different frequecy of energy than light.

They are not packing the lightbulb with the lettuce. Just shining the light on it before they ship.

God help anyone who gets the tinyest part of the lightbulb in their salad though. The probability of rapid onset of cancer will approach infinite.

I am not saying it's a good nutrition move. I'm just saying they are not making the food glow in the dark. Not wholesale anyway.

Which brings up a very interesting question, When you have a massive radiation source, how do you detect the presence of tiny radiation sources within the larger field of radiation, to prevent their escape. I don't think you can.

I wonder if they will bother to monitor the exiting food for stray radioactive particles. Why would they, it would only introduce liability for failure to stop any. No monitoring, no evidence that any ever escaped, no liability.

I have read very bad things about what it does to the nutrition. I have no reason to doubt those who say it is bad, but I'm not qualified to judge that part.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
Which brings up a very interesting question, When you have a massive radiation source, how do you detect the presence of tiny radiation sources within the larger field of radiation, to prevent their escape. I don't think you can.

I wonder if they will bother to monitor the exiting food for stray radioactive particles. Why would they, it would only introduce liability for failure to stop any. No monitoring, no evidence that any ever escaped, no liability.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Gamma radiation, usually obtained by exposure to Cesium-137, is not particulate in nature but is composed of high-energy photons. So there's no danger of 'particulate' matter, radioactive or otherwise.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Already a thread about this here.

Not a one liner.

[edit on 8/29/2008 by sc2099]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So... the tomato scare a few months ago... no doubt that they used that as a springboard for more irradiation measures. If this irradiation is so harmless, yet it is equivalent to so many million chest X-rays..... I can't help but think of the people standing behind the plexiglass shields and the lead vests......

But it's all harmless, right?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The way I look at it, if 'they're' doing it, 'they'll' make sure it hurts you one way or the other. Par for the course.

Eff it, grow your own!

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

They also irradiate blood that they give for transfusions to prevent graft-vs-host disease. Obviously the blood goes to cancer patients directly into their bloodstream. Rather than harming them it saves them from a horrible side effect of engraftment by donor leukocytes.

I don't know what you mean about Plexiglas shields, gamma irradiation is done behind lead shields - it's quite energetic.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
This topic has already been posted:

FDA: OK to zap spinach, lettuce with radiation

Please continue discussion in the above-linked thread, and please read the section about repeat topics in this link.
Closed.

new topics

top topics

join