It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion in West Viginia - Harmful Chemicals!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Explosion in West Viginia - Harmful Chemicals!

wvgazette.com

There was an explosion at the West Virginia Bayer plant in Institute.

Witnesses claim to have seen a fireball.

Developing!
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
As news pours in, what the hell could this have been?

wvgazette.com

"INSTITUTE, W.Va. -- Witnesses reported seeing a red fireball and feeling a blast as far away as Charleston, after an explosion was reported at the Bayer Crop Science Plant in Institute at 10:35 p.m. Thursday. The explosion was heard at least as far away as Mink Shoals."

[edit on 29-8-2008 by chetinglendalevillage]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by chetinglendalevillage

As news pours in, what the hell could this have been?

wvgazette.com

What ? Someone finally popped Hillery Clintons big head? (Not the little one..The big one)

Lmao Sorry for the sarcastic reply.. I hope no one got hurt..

[edit on 29-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Witnesses saw a mushroom cloud!
Wow...

And yeah, at least one person was hurt - so, let's hope s/he pulls through.

The major concern is, of course, the potentially toxic cloud that was released.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Great reporting man! I do hope the injuries are minimal. Maybe since it was nighttime there was not a whole crew working. So this was some kind of crop/pesticide manufacturing plant? I didn't know Bayer did that.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Crop Science plant. Maybe ammonium nitrate problem? Same fertilizer Oklahoma bombing used

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo
Crop Science plant. Maybe ammonium nitrate problem? Same fertilizer Oklahoma bombing used

en.wikipedia.org...

Ammonium nitrate decomposes into gases including oxygen when heated (non-explosive reaction); however, ammonium nitrate can be induced to decompose explosively by detonation. Large stockpiles of the material can be a major fire risk due to their supporting oxidation, and may also detonate, as happened in the Texas City disaster of 1947, which led to major changes in the regulations for storage and handling.

Just like a lot of other chemicals.. and most other things in life.. The second you don't respect it ..It will turn around and bite you.

Edit.. Oh and here is a nifty video of a Fertilizer bomb

[edit on 29-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
What's bizarre is they were JUST talking about Bayer chemical manfacturing toxic nicotine based pesticides which could be depleting honeybee populations on C2C and then this story hit...

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Reposted from a shorter thread.

Originally posted by ipsedixit
George Noory was just in a conversation with Linda Moulton Howe about disappearing honey bees in which Bayer chemical was implicated due to their role in making nicotine based insecticides, when he interrupted her to tell her that he'd just been handed a note that a Bayer chemical plant had just exploded somewhere in the US. Not sure of the location.

I imagine more will be available shortly on the web or radio, but Linda Howe was speculating about the cause of the event, accident, or sabotage.

What a coincidence, considering their topic of conversation. Shuddering, up here in Toronto, where a propane plant recently exploded. Hope everyone at the Bayer plant is OK.

sundaygazettemail.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I thought ammonium nitrate at first too, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The chemicals stored there were listed in the article, and it's a safe bet that one or more from that list were responsible for the explosion.

If I had to put money on what caused the explosion, I'd say it was dimethyl disulfide. Just an educated guess...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Linda Howe just said on Coast that the explosion had occurred in a part of the plant that makes a neurotoxin, according to messages sent to her. This would be part of their insecticide operation.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I thought ammonium nitrate at first too, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The chemicals stored there were listed in the article, and it's a safe bet that one or more from that list were responsible for the explosion.

If I had to put money on what caused the explosion, I'd say it was dimethyl disulfide. Just an educated guess...
I have family down there, and seen the size of the plant.
The plant is massive in size, plus its right on the river.
If anything I wouldn't touch the water supply in the county for a good long while.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Xabora]

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Xabora]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
funny, I'm a c2c listener, but in this case, since I'm a nutball who posts regularly on Above Top Secret, all my friends know to tell me the minute they hear something strange happening.

I've still been unable to get more info than whats already here in the post and in the article link.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
One plant worker injured, another missing (not sure if that includes the one person rumored dead...)

Now I'm listening to c2c and a caller just called in noting a recent 60 Minutes story covering a liability issue uncovering Bayer's responsibility in the deaths of 1,000s (22,000 by estimate) for Bayer's drug Trasylol... that was back in Feb, and the chemical here is, at least, unrelated.

www.newsinferno.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Ok.. first of all to all the people saying "oh, I hope everyone is alright"... HA HA HA

it's an evil chem company that is responsible for the death of thousands of people because of their "drugs" and you hope everyone is alright?

not me, I hope that plant was wiped off the face of the earth. including those people responsible for the crappy drugs they make and push.

and second... it was in WV! who cares? it's one of the dirtier, raped and backwards states out there..

people, don't be so distracted by your bleeding hearts.

top topics

join