It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former President Carter: McCain 'Milking' POW Experience

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Former President Carter: McCain 'Milking' POW Experience

elections.foxnews.com

Former President Jimmy Carter said Thursday that John McCain is “milking every possible drop of advantage” from his time as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, USA Today reported Thursday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
IDK about you guys, but i do not think ive ever heard john mccain really mention his POW "experience" in this election period or is it just me???? when is carter going to understand that he was a bigger failure than 8 years of bush?

elections.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Even though I was not alive from 1977 - 1981, I have been informed by many on both sides of the political spectrum that Jimmy Carter was the worst President ever elected. Interest rates were between 18 and 21%, the unemployment percentage was in the double digits, and the entire economy was in shambles. I am not saying that we are in the Roaring Twenty's, but we are better off than Americans in the late 1970's. The nation was in such bad shape that Ronald Reagan won the election of 1980 with a single question.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Barbarian
Even though I was not alive from 1977 - 1981, I have been informed by many on both sides of the political spectrum that Jimmy Carter was the worst President ever elected. Interest rates were between 18 and 21%, the unemployment percentage was in the double digits, and the entire economy was in shambles. I am not saying that we are in the Roaring Twenty's, but we are better off than Americans in the late 1970's. The nation was in such bad shape that Ronald Reagan won the election of 1980 with a single question.

You were told the truth.
Carter is a bitter man, his insigificance has overwhelmed him.
This is also a sign that they don't know how to combat real heroism and are afraid. It is a factor that can sway an undecided voter right up to the time they go to the voting booth.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I don't see McCain "milking" his POW time, or the fact he has a son in Iraq right now, either.

But here's my question: Where was good ol' Jimmah's critical thought, during John Kerry's run for the presidency? I seem to remember about every other word out of his pie hole being about his "service" in Vietnam. Of which, the toolbag didn't even complete the "gentleman's tour" he was supposed to.

God, I love these double standards...

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
jimmy carter... because if your wrong, hes wronger. good slogan for him..

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The Dems are imploding. Whether Carter is wrong or right, saying this isn't going to get a single vote for Obama.

What's next? Will people start making fun of Palin because her baby has Down's Syndrome?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
McCain's campaign uses the POW card a lot. Carter is right, you can say what you want about his presidential time, but it has nothing to do with his statement or it's validity.

Vietnam Veterans Against John McCain

Newsweek's Fineman: McCain campaign using POW status as 'crutch'

A spokesman for Senator John McCain recently attempted to deal with the flap over McCain not knowing how many houses he owns by asserting, "McCain is not an arugula-eating, pointy headed professor-type" ... [but] a guy who lived in one house for five and a half years -- in prison."

McCain Himself Invokes POW Past To Deflect Criticism Of Houses Gaffe
McCain slipped a reference to his war captivity into an interview McCain did with CBS that's airing today. He appeared to be referring to Joe Biden's crack yesterday that McCain has trouble considering people's kitchen table issues because he has to decide which of his own seven kitchen tables to use...

"I am grateful for the fact that I have a wonderful life," McCain said. "I spent some years without a kitchen table, without a chair, and I know what it's like to be blessed by the opportunities of this great nation...So the fact is that we have homes, and I'm grateful for it."

McCain’s ‘cone of silence’

The matter is of interest because Mr. McCain, who followed Mr. Obama’s hourlong appearance in the forum, was asked virtually the same questions as Mr. Obama. Mr. McCain’s performance was well received, raising speculation among some viewers, especially supporters of Mr. Obama, that he was not as isolated during the Obama interview as Mr. Warren implied.

Nicolle Wallace, a spokeswoman for Mr. McCain, said on Sunday night that Mr. McCain had not heard the broadcast of the event while in his motorcade and heard none of the questions.

“The insinuation from the Obama campaign that John McCain, a former prisoner of war, cheated is outrageous,” Ms. Wallace said.

McCain Invokes POW Days to Repel Attacks, Court Votes (Update1)

When Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former Senator John Edwards, rebuked McCain's medical-care proposal and noted that he'd always enjoyed government health benefits, McCain responded that he knows what it's like to get inadequate care -- ``from another government.'' During an October debate, while knocking a Hillary Clinton plan to help fund a museum celebrating Woodstock, McCain said he missed the 1969 festival because he was ``tied up at the time.'' Even his rivals applauded.

At a candidates' forum, he dismissed accusations that he was a carpetbagger with a well-timed ad lib: ``The place I lived the longest in my life was Hanoi.''

This time around, McCain and his strategists aren't holding back either. They've created posters and aired television advertisements showing him as prisoner, lying on his back, holding a cigarette.

He referred to his POW days today in Miami in a response to questions from reporters about accusations from Democrats that he's changed his positions on Cuba over the years.

``My record is unchanged and consistent for 24 years,'' McCain said. ``A Cuban officer and enlisted men came to Hanoi and tortured my friends -- killed one of them. My position on Cuba has been exactly the same.''

These aren't the only examples, just a few to show you that he and his campaign have used the POW story quite a bit.

EDIT: Not that this cartoon means anything, just thought it was kind of funny.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Parabol]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
The Dems are imploding. Whether Carter is wrong or right, saying this isn't going to get a single vote for Obama.

What's next? Will people start making fun of Palin because her baby has Down's Syndrome?

No, actually I've seen the opposite. I just heard them discuss on CNN the fact that she didn't abort the child, even though she knew pre-birth that he had down syndrome. They acted as if she should have been commended for it, as if the normal choice is to abort it, and she chose the path less taken.

And it's not always about getting votes for the other person. Seeing how McCain uses the POW card doesn't make me want to vote for Obama, if anything that a deflection of the issue.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

IDK about you guys, but i do not think ive ever heard john mccain really mention his POW "experience" in this election period or is it just me???? when is carter going to understand that he was a bigger failure than 8 years of bush?

Are you kidding? I don't think I've NOT heard John McCain mention his POW experience throughout this election period. I respect his service but he can't use it as an answer to irrelevant questions.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Another thing that was pointed out to me.

McCain was a POW longer than Carter was President!

top topics

join