It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Acceptance Speech

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Policy wise, Obama talks a lot about a "new direction", yet Obama has voted with Pelosi and Reid more than 90% of the time. Is that the new direction, going with Democrat dinosaurs that brought the congress to single digit approval ratings? Is that change? Is that getting away from old Washington politics that he so "skillfully" blasted Hillary with?

Republican president 20 out of last 28 years.
Republican controlled Congress 1992 -2006.

Yes I would say that voting with Pelosi and Reid is a new direction. The current state of affairs in this country is tied almost directly to the Repulican agenda over the last 30 years. Good or bad, where we are at today is thanks most in part to the Republican party. Why dont you check and see who has moved through the most legislation over the last 30 years. Also, how is a Democratic congress that has only had a slight advantage for less than 2 years supposed to get any of their legislation through when the President can veto any thing that doesnt tow the Repulican line and there is not enough of a majority to get 2/3 to override a veto?

YES, blame the Democrats, they have not had the majority in this country over the last 30 years. How can you possibly say that they are the ones who have been making all the decisions. Please explain to me how that happens. And by all accounts, things are not going well in the country right now; dollar dropping value, stock market stagnant, mortgage crisis, unemployment up(based on real numbers), consumer spending down, huge govt deficit, war in multiple middle eastern countries, over strained military, corporate bailouts happening at an alarming rate(not to mention that they are bailouts of BANKS, which is a bad, bad sign).

I repeat, the current state of affairs in this country is the direct result of the Republicans. Please show me how this is wrong.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

No one has an answer to this question yet. Let me know when you figure out how you can blame the minority party for everything thats wrong with the country.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Maybe , with all these problems that the Republicans have caused, whether real or imagined, is nothing compared to the bad memories of the Carter years or the Democrat lies that got us into that messy affair called the Vietnam War which cost 50,000 American lives. Dang that Robert McNamara makes Dick Cheney look like a teddy bear.

Maybe the reason why Republicans have been in "control" is because the people that elected them felt that the Republicans are the lesser of 2 evils.

With Obama's policies, we might see a Carter part duex.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by wutone

If people dont want to vote for a democrat because of Carter or Kennedy getting us into Vietnam thats fine. I'm just sick of the Republicans blaming the Democrats for what is going on NOW. There is no justification for it. They have not been the majority. The good or that bad that is happening in this country has a much more direct relationship to the Republicans as opposed to the Democrats. Its really tough to argue that. Look at the legislation that has been passed for the last 30 years. The last 30 yeas is the agenda of the Republicans and I challenge anyone to prove that fact wrong.
It just bothers me whe people are blaming the current democratic congress for all the problems that were created by a Republican agenda. I agree the current congress has not done that much but first off they have had less than 2 years(previous 14 Republican), secondly they are fighting against a Republican president who has only decided to use his veto once the democrats were the majority, thirdly thier majority is not sufficient enough to override a presidential veto.
The Republicans had 6 full years with a majority in the house, the senate and a Republican president who made it very clear he would sign any Republican bill that hit his desk(except for stem cell research). The Republicans could have passed any legislation they wanted. Why didnt the Republicans authorize the offshore drilling they want so badly? Its not as though the rise in oil started in the last two years. Its was ~$30 a barrel when Bush got into office and started rising after 9/11. Why didnt they attempt to push through any alternative energy bills?

It just seems more than hypocritical to blame the party that did not have the majority in the congress 14 years. Republican presidentail terms out weigh Democrats almost 3 to 1 over the last 30 years.

Like I said, whether its the good in this country or the bad, the blame falls directly on the Republicans. They wanted control, they got it and now they are blaming others for the problems created by their agenda.

How does this make sense?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I stopped listening to his rhetoric when he started hobnobbing with Dick Lugar and his Council on Foreign Relations cronies. That organization is well described in the book "None Dare Call It Conspiracy", along with the Trilaterals.

I long ago, in politics as well as wars, learned to "follow the money" to get the real story.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I thought Obama's speach was just the prime to empty my wallet.
Did he actally say,", in the soldiers who re-enlist after losing a limb,"?
I read his speech (didn't hear it).
If he said that...he's a moron.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Barack Obama's speech was absolutely outstanding. What a lovely man, who encompasses what appear to be the essence of a truely great leader.
I think he is the most genuine public servent i have ever had the pleasure to see. I wish him all the luck in the world and to his family and also to the American people.
I am convinced the European's will have more empathy when Bush has gone and for once we can all be civilised and not put greed at the top of the agenda. Knowledge is power, not money!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join