It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Acceptance Speech

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
He is peaking in his call for bipartisanship.

Now he's going into how we can all agree to find middle ground. This might just be me, but in this part he seems to be simply speaking words without any belief or passion about what he's talking about.

Now when he's going on the offensive again he's getting his passion back.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I'm taking a wild guess that WE will be paying for everything, not him.

Yes, and I have a feeling that it will be expensive Nike sneakers and X-box's for every man, woman and child in the country ... courtesy of everyone who makes over 250K a year.

OMG, he just said he didn't fit the 'typical pedigree'. I seriously want to puke. And the 'naysayers'?? Is that what people who don't like what he stands for are called?

And for someone babbling on and on about 'change coming to Washington', why in the world did he choose Joe Biden as a running mate? What a hypocrite!!!

Jemison

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I thought the same thing about his comments about the same people in Washington when he has Biden, Kennedy, Clinton, Gore, and Kerry backing him.

It's interesting to separate the strategic comments from the reality. I.e., it's strategic to tell people he's going to be all about new blood but in reality he's not.

Now he's citing Martin Luther King and 45 years ago today... are we really to believe that this date was chosen by pure coincidence?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
He is ordinary. He is a regular politician. His great "Change" is nothing but a change from a Republican administration to a Democrat one.

I disagree with you here. I don't find him to be a regular politician. I find him to be fairly (note fairly) unpolluted. He owes no one anything. He can forge his own path and find his own "middle" ground. Hillary wouldn't be able to and neither will John.

b.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Wow.... he's done???????

And now a country western song comes on????

I was waiting for more. I was waiting to hear more substance and less rhetoric.

Now his kids are being trotted out like stage props again.

Now some more weird music. Come to think of it, the choice of music at the start of his talk was surprisingly generic too. Overall, the music might be the weakest part of the production.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Of course it wasn't chosen by chance. There are no coincidences in politics these days.

Well, he didn't sway me. I wanted to hear why I should vote for him....not why I shouldn't vote for McCain.

I wanted to hear not only what he would do.....but how planned to do it.

I wanted to hear something new from him....not the things I've heard from him during his stump speeches.

Too much negative in the speech (about McCain)....not enough positive (about Obama).

And, the only "Change"??? To liberal/Democratic policies.....not a change as to how things are done.

He's showing that, while he is a great speaker, with charisma (really didn't need the fireworks I am seeing now.....too much pagentry), he's just a regular, ordinary politician.....

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys

He is ordinary. He is a regular politician. His great "Change" is nothing but a change from a Republican administration to a Democrat one.

I disagree with you here. I don't find him to be a regular politician. I find him to be fairly (note fairly) unpolluted. He owes no one anything. He can forge his own path and find his own "middle" ground. Hillary wouldn't be able to and neither will John.

b.

I might have felt that way, too.....if he had chosen a different running mate, if he gave more substance that rhetoric, if he didn't follow the "party line". He started out as seeming unpolluted. The longer this has gone on, though, the more he is sounding like a generic Democrat. JMO.....

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
After Olympics, fireworks look lame in comparison.

Curtain call line with Obama, his wife, Biden, and his wife is just odd looking.

Seeing Biden walk off with Obama I can't help but thinking how spectacular the scene would have been if he would have picked Hillary Clinton as VP.

If it were Hillary and Bill and Barack and Michelle on stage he would have about a 15-20 point win on Nov. 4.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
"I interrupt this prayer for a closing instruction..." ????

This is about the oddest thing of the night.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Nancy Pelosi is now speaking.

I will lay odds she will be a co-host on "The View" someday. You can say you read it here first.

COOL... now Springsteen is playing "Born in the U.S.A."

Could this be a subliminal message re the questions over where Obama was born???

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
UK here, disparate in my view. McCain world is sufficiently unreal for it not to be an issue. Got his soundbites tho.......

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Does anybody else here see the irony of the Dems using "Born in the U.S.A." as their closing anthem?

I'm pretty sure Springsteen didn't intend this as an ode to the greatness of the U.S. It's actually a pretty bleak song about the U.S.A.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys

b.

I might have felt that way, too.....if he had chosen a different running mate, if he gave more substance that rhetoric, if he didn't follow the "party line". He started out as seeming unpolluted. The longer this has gone on, though, the more he is sounding like a generic Democrat. JMO.....

Not a Biden fan? I can understand that but honestly I couldn't (and still can't think) of anyone in the Dem party that would have been better.

This was a fluff, party rallying speech - it is meant to appeal to the masses. And I think that it was gauged to appeal to middle roaders - to get them thinking. The debates will tell the tale and for the first time, in a long time, I can't wait for those.

Cheers to you!

Bleys

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Ronald Reagan used that song during his campaign.

That's what I find kind of odd....couldn't Obama come up with something more original?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Obama is a Marxist radical playcating the audience.

He probably thinks he is Zeus with that Greek Hubris stage setup. The GOP were referring to the setup as Barackopolis.

I heard Bill Clinton would skip the speech, don't know if he did or not.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Unless you look at it as a paralleling between the America Springsteen was singing about and the America that the last 8 years has wrought us.

But I doubt anyone looks at it that deeply, It's like a Bon Jovi song coming on in a bar here in NJ. It's just an anthem to rally the masses.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
better than I expected!!!

I loved the entire thing!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Well you nay sayers can try to make Obama's speech look bad all you want, but that was a great speech. He spelled out what he wants to do as president and knocked down every argument the republicans have been saying.

Admit it. You wish John McCain could give a speech half as good as that.

And before you say "well that's all it was, a speech", then like McCain, you just don't get it. It represents the idea of what this country could be and that is what the majority of the people want. We have been told for too long that these ideas are just not possible. It is thinking like that, that is the only thing that is holding us back.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Overall, I think the Dems really screwed up strategically by having this at the stadium and building it up. There's no way the speech could have lived up to the hype. They raised expectations that could have never been met.

What happened to their entire strategy in the primaries of lowering expectations and then exceeding them?

I personally thought the "race" speech was 100x more moving and authentic. This speech tonight seemed so ordinary, like it was written by the same people who write Hillary's stuff, or who wrote Kerry's stuff 4 years ago.

Obama may get the smallest polling bump after a convention that's been seen in quite some time.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

better than I expected!!!

I loved the entire thing!

Quazga, Obama can do no wrong in your eyes. It wouldn't mattered what he said, the Kool-aid keeps you from being objective.

Glad his speech is over, time to get back to business. The business of keeping this radical Marxist from becoming POTUS.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by jetxnet]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join