It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Acceptance Speech

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Obama just took the stage...

I think it would be cool to have a thread that captures people's first impressions live as it unfolds rather than after the fact.

My first impression is that the movie leading into his appearance was very well done, and Obama's appeared genuinely humble and grateful when he took the stage....

....then he started on the praise for Hillary and Bill Clinton and he no longer seemed quite as genuine.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
...if I hear one more time about how Biden rides a train home every night I think I'm going to puke...

But I'll bet this isn't going to be the last time we hear about it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Etc etc etc, blah blah blah.

I'm still waiting for him to explain his policies.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I just wonder if this speech is going to be full of generalities, his normal stump speech?? I am looking for some specifics.....not just good oratory skills and rhetoric.

The scene itself catches one's attention rather well.....

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I turned the channel when he said thank you twenty times to try and hush the crowd. If a crowd cheered for me like that I would let them cheer away and then say thank you twenty times.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Ok ...I really thought he was good ...and he said just the right things in the right tone ..(I believed him )
He mentioned some things I would love to see happen ...

I was wondering what my Republicans friends would say if I did go and vote this year and vote for Obama ....(Yeah I can hear it now)

I think he is sincere and very likeable ... ...

So please list reasons (as provable as possible) of why I should not vote for Obama ?

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
He's trying to appear humble.....and he wanted to get them to quiet down so he could spend the next 12+ minutes bad mouthing Republicans and McCain without saying anything about what HE will do to improve things.

So far, he's saying "Vote against THEM", and not saying anything about why we chould vote for him.

Generalities, nothing much new so far.

Is that suppose to be a "White House" facade behind him??

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm a little surprised at Obama's demeanor during his speech. Specifically, he's coming across as angry up to this point. He's not gone into his "hope and change" demeanor yet.

I'm also noticing how rarely he looks straight into the camera. I wonder if this is planned or just his natural way of talking to the crowd.

Still coming across as angry more often than not.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
10:33 PM EST now spelling out what change would mean if he were President.

But still coming across as angry. There is a fine line between passionate and angry sometimes, and so far to me anyway he seems angry, even when talking about positive things he wants to do.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
To me, it sounds about how great the Democrat party is. I want to vote for (or against) a person, not a party.

On the other hand, it is a party rally.

change means . . . .

cutting capital gains tax for small businesses . . . cut taxes on middle class . . .

end our dependance on mideast oil in ten years (how many terms is he planning for???)

He preaches about how bad it is to import oil, then speaks against drilling for it here (I live in Texas, where home drilling is quite popular).

Promising us american made cars . . . .

150 billion for new energy. Isn't that a boondoggle for the energy cartel??

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm having a hard time watching this speech. It's not just Obama's words that bother me, but it's the people in the audience, crying when he came onstage as if they had just witnessed the second coming of Christ. It is sick and disturbing that people can be woo'd by this man.

Obama is sitting there going on and on about what McCain has voted 'no' to ... but he's not explaining that McCain was saying NO because of all of the pork that was snuck into those bills.

Vote OBUMa- Bidet and you're flushing the Country away!!!

Jemison

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

Still coming across as angry more often than not.

Though it can be bad if it's too much, a little bit of anger always makes a promise of reform seem more genuine. As if the speaker truly believes that which he is saying which a passion that is on the edge of control.

It makes him sound more firm, one of the things I never liked about his hope & change rhetoric was that it sounded like just that, rhetoric.

Obama does an outstanding job of selling himself, and some of the changes he outlined were decent ones.

I'll still be writing in Ron Pauls name.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Wow... here's a big change...

Now he's going to find a way to safely harness nuclear power.

A few weeks ago he blaster McCain's plan for 48 new nuclear reactors.

Another interesting shift...

Now everything he's saying begins with "I will" do this and that.... instead of "We will...."

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Elimination of faulty federal programs that do nothing but drain money... ha, John Corzine could take a lesson from that.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This crowd seems to respond well to the "angry" tone. There are a bunch of angry people in that crowd. Justified or not.....

I think we can safely say now that his "Change" mantra is not an actual change in how things are done in Washington, but a "change" from Republican policies to Democrat policies. Business as usual.....politics as usual.

Ok, he's spelling out what he wants to do, but HOW is he going to do it? And, maybe it's just me, but a lot of what he is saying seems to be able to be boiled down to making the government bigger, more powerful, more "in charge" of our lives......I work for our government, and they don't handle what they have now very well. How are they going to handle and manage all the "added" responsibility of an Obama administration?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Watching, listening and playing the drinking game. A tradition in this household during the conventions. The Dems buzzword is "change" and the Repubs is "permanent tax cuts." Now that I think about it "change" was a stupid word to pick.

The Dems pep rally (which is precisely what the party conventions are all about) is fairly predictable. But, just as I have from the day he announced his candidacy, I like this man.

Whodathunkit - I officially have a case of TB for Obama.

Bleys

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
He mentioned the broken foreign policy, but has so far not promised to change it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
When asked of John McCain "What do you consider rich?" He jokingly said "5 Million?"

How can Lord Obama get away with saying that McCain considers 5 million a year, middle class?

Anyway....the more Lord Obama talks...the lighter my wallet is feeling.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Now he's talking about "How I'll pay for everything..."

I'm taking a wild guess that WE will be paying for everything, not him.

And yes, I am fascinated by the pavlovian responses from the audience. "Blah blah blah" CHEER CHEER CHEER.... "blah blah blah" BOO BOO BOO...

This just made me think about something...

Now he wants to debate McCain on temperament and judgment to be commander in chief.

This might just be me, but whenever Obama starts making snarky comments about McCain he starts coming across as less likable and more ordinary.

Now rather than talk specifics about what he will do in terms of foreign policy he simply says that the Roosevelt and Kennedy were Democrats and therefore Democrats will defend the country.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
He is ordinary. He is a regular politician. His great "Change" is nothing but a change from a Republican administration to a Democrat one.

He is a great speaker.....when prepared or with a teleprompter. But, mesmerizing?? No. Not when you realize that the change he wants is the change that any politician from an opposing party wants.....a change to "your" way of thinking and doing things.

He still isn't convincing me to vote for him.....this speech strikes me as more of why we "shouldn't" vote for McCain.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join