It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Biden Withdraws After the Convention?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Just wondering if anybody knows the legal protocol that would be followed if Biden would withdraw after the convention?

Would the DNC have the opportunity to place another name on the ballot? Is there a legal procedure to replace his name on the ballot?

I'm curious because all the legal documents and filings will have the candidates names, but what if a candidate leaves the ticket? Does Obama get to pick a replacement without the DNC formally approving?

Just curious... if Obama is trailing in the polls in October it wouldn't surprise me if a skeleton popped out of Biden's closet and we found ourselves with an Obama/Clinton ticket after all.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

That already happened in 1972.
After the Democratic convention had picked George McGovern for President and Thomas Eagleton for VP, word that Eagleton had been hospitalized in the past for depression came out, and Eagleton was forced to resign due to public pressure. McGovern then chose Sargent Shriver.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The DNC can probably just select someone else. It has happened in the past and I don't think the law has changed. In 1972, Thomas Eagleton was removed from the Dem ticket and replaced with another VP candidate following the convention.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Thanks!

I forgot about 1972.

I'm just curious from a legal standpoint if Obama gets to pick or if the DNC must make an appointment.

top topics

join