It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notice: Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Certain Terrorist Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Notice: Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Certain Terrorist Attacks

www.whitehouse.gov

Because the terrorist threat continues, the national emergency declared on September 14, 2001, and the powers and authorities adopted to deal with that emergency, must continue in effect beyond September 14, 2008. Therefore, I am continuing in effect for an additional year the national emergency I declared on September 14, 2001, with respect to the terrorist threat.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
What exactly does this mean? Is he going to stay in office for another year?

www.whitehouse.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
that sounds kind of scary actually....

and it comes on the even of Obama's big speech....

something really big seems to be on the horizon...will we see it tonight??

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The threat of terrorism continues? Really? Maybe it's time to change the foreign policy then, since the current one is clearly working so well.

If I didn't suspect they were hinting at something, I'd call em Captain Obvious and chalk it up to pervasive stupidity, but even the most simple of people understand the concept of terrorism. Hell, the statement itself could be considered terrorism, as it could lead to invoke fear in some people.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
nevermind.

Its' nothing

Section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)) provides for the automatic termination of a national emergency unless, prior to the anniversary date of its declaration, the President publishes in the Federal Register and transmits to the Congress a notice stating that the emergency is to continue in effect beyond the anniversary date.

In accordance with this provision, I have sent the enclosed notice, stating that the Iran emergency declared in 1979 is to continue in effect beyond November 14, 1998, to the Federal Register for publication. Similar notices have been sent annually to the Congress and the Federal Register since November 12, 1980.

The most recent notice appeared in the Federal Register on October 1, 1997. This emergency is separate from that declared with respect to Iran on March 15, 1995, in Executive Order 12957.

Source He has to renew it or allow it to diminish. He's just trying to hold onto his power for a little bit longer before he's out of office.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I'm scared to death.

This is getting out of hand. I GUARANTEE before the end of his term Bush will declare Martial Law.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
He can't without the senate and the congress i think.

The President isnt the same thing as a dictator or King.

Big big difference.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
What new threats is he talking about? Have we been attacked here at home again? If so, was it in the news and I didn`t see it? Well, let`s see, it`s been going around about September being a month full of surprises, and it is getting very close to election time, so, what`s going to happen that he needs to keep the National Emergency going like this? I have my own thoughts on this, and man, I truly hope I`m wrong in my thinking. This guy is scary and dangerous I`m afraid.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Exactly what I'm saying.

If the national emergency is going to expire so late into his term, why does he even care? What's the point of continuing it for ONLY one year. Something is fishy about this and I feel as if Bush needs the national emergency kept in place to do whatever it is he has planned to do.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by MatrixBaller04]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
MatrixBaller... why do you fear so much??
"scared to death"???

come on guys where are your cojones. Unless you yourself intend to do something about the situation, then you have no reason to fear it because you have absolved yourself of any sense of responsibility. Meaning, you can't let fear rule your lives over something you have no intention, or no means, to change. your heads should be held up in pride of what your life is and means outside of what outcomes may be wrought from an unswayable circumstance.

By the way it seeems like a technicality that it has to be announced, as someone pointed out. Gauging by your responses, you WANT to be ruled by fear, and thats why you come to ATS, to go to a place where someone will give you something to be scared over, even if it is as inane as a routine notice. All it says is, "Yep, the war over there is still happening." As long as the US is in the ME, there will be a threat to American soil. And likely, long after it has left.

EDIT: I just noticed that it was You matrixballer who started this thread in the first place... so my apologies about you coming here to find something to fear; in this instance, it is you coming here to share your irrational fears.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by kidney thief]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Man I don`t want to see more innocent people die here at home or overseas because of this guy. Like I said, I hope I`m wrong, but when I get a gut feeling about something, it normally comes true.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kidney thief

Irrational fears? Ok, let`s put it in this light then. If nothing happens between September 1st and inaugural day next year i`ll come back and say that I was wrong. But, if something does happen, I`ll remind you of what you said.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is just normal protocol. I did not see any new threats mentioned in the article.

It reminds me of doing the accounting and doting the i's and crossing the t's.

Please, don't waste your time being scared. Life is still good.......enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
He has renewed this exact same policy more than once in his 7 years as President. Carter did the same, Clinton Did the same, just google the title of this thread, and you'll find all the examples you need to show you:

This is nothing.

Ther'es nothing to worry about.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixBaller04
I'm scared to death.

This is getting out of hand. I GUARANTEE before the end of his term Bush will declare Martial Law.

Really? You guarantee it? Can we mark this down as one of the predictions that never come true?

Have they declare martial law today? Nope. And they aren't tomorrow or after that gets renewed. As Andrew said, it's nothing to freak and geek about.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I think Georgia may be false flag lite.

Perhaps a last gasp attempt to reignite the cold war by the neocons.

I think these neocon maniacs are dangerous to the very last moment of their administration.

Dick Cheney is on his way to Georgia right now and that fact does not give me a "warm fuzzy" as they say. I'm sure "go f*ck yourself", Mr Diplomacy, Dick Cheney will only represent the interests of average americans and not the agenda of his corporate cronies!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Phew, for a moment there I thought the man was going to pull a "we're at war, so you can't have your democracy, neener neener"

It's just standard protocol though.

Good... all plans to get him out of office and into the international courtrooms can proceed as planned without a major world war to do it.

new topics

top topics

join