It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maximizing Survival Time Inside the Event Horizon of a Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
if by chance you were traveling at warp speed to antares, took a wrong turn and ended up in the event-horizon of a black hole what can you do to maximize your existence before you join the singularity as a smear of particles?

Fortunately, Geraint F. Lewis and Juliana Kwan from the School of Physics at the University of Sydney, have got some suggestions that fly in the face of this stuggle = quick death hypothesis. Their paper is called No Way Back: Maximizing survival time below the Schwarzschild event horizon, and it was recently accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the Astronomical Society of Australia

Consider a race to the centre between a free faller and a rocketeer. Suppose they cross the event horizon together holding hands. As they cross, they start identical stop watches. One falls inwards, while the other accelerates towards the centre for a little, then swings their rocket round and decelerates such that the free faller and the rocketeer meet and clasp hands again just before hitting the singularity. A check on their stop watches would reveal that the free faller would experience the most personal time in the trip. This is related to one of the basic results of relativity - people in freefall experience the maximum proper time.

source

peace

daz__

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I am not sure you can do anything at that point.

Wouldn't that be a great way to go out though. Joining the singularity of a black hole.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Due to the tremendous tidal forces, an unlucky victim will suffer spaghettification, where differences in gravity from your head to your feet stretch you out. But let's not worry about that for now. You're trying to maximize survival time.

spaghettification...

This sounds like a rather painful process. I wouldn't worry about maximizing survival time. It's a moot point.

Personally, I'd want things to end as quickly as possible to reduce an overly long and agonizing death. But that's just me.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 8/28/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Please pardon my sidestepping your question. But if you want to survive, you do not cross the event horizon. The event horizon is a product of riding the spiral in. At least the one you would cross is.

You go straight into the black hole well away from the wall. The tremendous forces and energy are all pulled along the spiral plane of the wall. Space itself if stretched and twisted along the curve of the wall.

Think of it as a blender where the blades are along the edge of the container, and the container rotates around it's contents.
You don't want to be part of the contents, you want to go down the middle where there are no contents because they are all pulled out to the sides by the rotational forces.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i hear ya bro,

but the situation is you are accidentally landed in the hole.. you are now there..
what do ya do..

sit around and enjoy the view for as long as possible or

hope for a quick painless death..

i have been wondering though with all the spagettification and streatching would ya end up with a body millions of km long??

perhaps while in that density you may not feel the body streatch..

time as i understand it in the hole slows down so changes from the perspective of being in the hole would be of infinataly long.. you probably wouldn't notice being stretched..

i like the idea of the free fall to the center..
reminds be a bit of life hehe..

cheerz for responses

daz__

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by daz__
i have been wondering though with all the spagettification and streatching would ya end up with a body millions of km long??

It depends on the kind of black hole you're approaching. The radiation environment surrounding the hole is probably more likely to kill you as you approach a supermassive black hole than tidal forces. Why? Because you won't feel severe tidal forces until you're about 600,000km out from a supermassive's center of gravity; that means you entered the event horizon already. But understand something, if you fell into the hole from a rest point at ten times the supermassive hole's Schwarzschild radius you'd have 7 seconds from the event horizon before you hit the singularity, not much time no matter what you do.

A smaller black hole that you might find elsewhere in the galaxy will have a smaller event horizon though, which allows you to feel enough tidal forces to rip you apart before you get close enough to enter the event horizon. Let's say you find one with 30 solar masses. At the event horizon you'd be feeling a tidal force of 1 MILLION g's! For a 30,000 solar mass black hole you'd only be dealing with less than 1 g though (that's just the difference between the gravity at your head and toes, not the total gravity pulling you of course).

[edit on 29-8-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by daz__

Back to my original premis, and much like how you get out of a riptide.

You don't try to ride it in, you try to move at a tangent and reach the middle. You dont fight the tide, you swim in a tanget to it.

You might even have a chance to make it all the way to the mass that lies within before you splat!

I wonder if you can do the opposite, can you move at a tangent to the plane of the spiral outward and escape completely? I might try that in preference to stretching out my certain doom.

What has always bothered me about black holes is that they are three dimensional with a back and a front, the back having a jet, and the front a funnel, What is going on at the sides?

Your question has made me wonder, can you penetrate the front to reach the side?

Good question!

[edit on 30-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

[edit on 30-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Increase power to the spatial dampers, divert all available power through the main deflector, and create a gravitational flux ahead of the ship.

Easy

top topics

join