It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End the Electoral College, End Political Parties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It seems that the electoral college has outlived its usefulness. Considering that the Congress acts as a representative republic, why can't the Presidential election be by popular vote? Why shouldn't the majority rule in deciding who is going to captain the ship and either take us through smooth open sea or run us aground. Wouldn't that put the responsibility of the matter in the peoples hands. Instead we have people feeling cheated through the electoral college, especially considering the members are not bound to vote a certain way.

Second, why the heck to we need political parties? Is it just a means for creating divisiveness between people? For the life of me I can see no good that the do or accomplish. It seems to me more like a club. Why can't candidates stand on the grounds of their personal views and merits instead of by affiliation. When you take a group of people who identify as a certain party, and ask them what their political views on key and hot topics such as guns, abortion, welfare, taxes, even amongst people who identify with a certain group you will get different answers. Someone please tell me what good are political parties and what would be better or worse without them.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Wolf321]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The U.S. is long past the turning point for any revolutionary change. Any change of the order of magnitude that you suggest would result in civil war, no doubt. If you've read about the war of independence, you'll have known that there was a lot of fighting. Hypothetically, I have nothing to add to this discussion. Sorry. It's very interesting though.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cognoscente

While getting politicians, and people for that matter, to give up a political party affiliation (people need to feel like part of a group for some strange reason) may be next to impossible, I don't see why ending the electoral process would cause a civil war. Really, at this point, the electoral college only benefits the politicians. I don't see why average citizens would be up in arms at that idea.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
You're average American doesn't even know the role of the electoral college. Believe it or not I remember debating this in 10th grade with my history teacher (6ys ago) and I remember him making a fool out of me in front of the class for even believing the electoral college over ruled the majority vote. Of course my stance has never changed.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Techsnow]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I was just looking over a couple sites that explain the electoral process. I was bothered by what I read.

people.howstuffworks.com...

Most of the time, electors cast their votes for the candidate who has received the most votes in that particular state. Some states have laws that require electors to vote for the candidate that won the popular vote, while other electors are bound by pledges to a specific political party. However, there have been times when electors have voted contrary to the people's decision, and there is no federal law or Constitutional provision against it.

While I am all for states rights/sovereignty, I can't say I like the idea of a non standard manner of electing the president.

www.handsonenglish.com...

Why do we have this system? The reason is that the smaller states want to keep some power. If we had no Electoral College, all the political power would be in the biggest states.

and also

People in less populated states might as well stay home and not even vote. The candidates would not pay any attention to the "small" states as they campaigned - why bother?! All the people who live outside the "big" states would feel like they weren't even part of the country because they would have no "voice" in choosing their president

If that is the case, why didn't they just give each state 1 electoral vote and the winner of the popular vote would receive the vote? That would give each state equal power. Politicians wouldn't be infatuated with just a handful of states in their campaign, but have to win over all the states.

This is a broken, and outdated system and needs to be done with!

[edit on 2-11-2008 by Wolf321]

top topics

join