It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Categories - Outstanding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I think that this is a bit of TinWiki that is being overlooked by a certain three people, that would be Myself, William One Sac and Optimist. I feel like we are the three leading sysops at this current time, you two are the masters and I'm the sysop; therefore i think that it should be up to us what gets into this category, but of course all comments from others are welcomed. So how about every week we have a look around and induct one article a week if we think it is good enough. there is currently a Outstanding page here, so if we post up nominees there and then vote on it. All members are welcome to nominate but its up to the Masters and Sysops at the time to decide what actually gets in. How does that sound ?

Fox

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I think this is an outstanding idea!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Haha i was wondering how long it was going to be until some one said something like that. So any ideas when were going to start this?

Fox

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hey guys. I think that is a great idea as well. Does it matter how old the article is that we want to nominate?

Rush

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Article can be any age, it could of made made last year and we might not put it in till next year. Rush, if you think that any article is good enough, don't hesitate to nominate it,

Don't be shy to nominate your own work

Fox

[edit on 29-8-2008 by ProTo Fire Fox]

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Fox,

I, too, think this thread is a good and appropriate initiative.

Your thread also inspired me to finally get something done that I've thought a short while back, which is to add a page for actually doing the work of the judging, or such, of the nominated articles. That new page is here. Right now, the page is mostly just created, and has virtually no content in it. As for what should be in that page, I'm thinking one thing that could be kept there is some sort of log showing the results of each judging round. The article discussion may also come in very handy, of course.

The activity level in tinWiki seems to now be increasing a bit -- which is a very nice thing. There's still not too much activity, though, and the likely article candidates also aren't necessarily all that many, yet. Therefore, I feel that doing the judging every week may be a bit more often that what's necessarily the most appropriate. That's just how it seems to me, though.

Anyway, an important issue that should be discussed a bit, is the topic of what criteria an Outstanding article should live up to. I've read the criteria that are used in Wikipedia for some category like this, although it was a while ago, and I'm not sure I read them all, but that's at the back of my mind, naturally. So, with that as my starting point, and since I also thought they seemed to make sense (as I remember it), my view would be that an article that gets the Outstanding award shouldn't simply be better than others, but should live up to some specific demands. A short list of demands should, as I see it, be created and displayed in the Outstanding nominees page (and in this new page I created today).

Anyway, again, I think it's healthy in several ways if the good articles are held up as such and given proper acknowledgement. So I definitely agree, Fox, that it's good if we could get some work done on evaluating some articles and get some deserving ones into the Outstanding category. I also agree that it's probably natural if you, WOS, and I make the decisions. Perhaps 'down the line' when there are more contributors and so on, the jury group might be natural to compose in some different way, but that would be something to think about in the future...

How do you generally like the idea of the new page, Fox and WOS?

And would you agree that some list of 'demands' should exist? What would you suggest should be included in that list, if so?

Optimist

edit: had to improve or specify a sentence a little bit....

[edit on 7-9-2008 by Optimist]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The current banner from what i can tell is just some text in a table with a itty bitty little icon of a medal. After giving this project some further thought, i decided to throw something together that has more presence. Seems to me such an idea deserves a little extra effort.

In the process, I thought it would be nice to have this linked to a page of article winners (Gallery of Awesome Articles) out of curiosity i would think more then a few people would check it out and in the process get a better idea of what we'd like to see more of here.

I'm open to any part of this banner being changed... provided you can come up with a tweak that makes sense. I'm even thinking we could have a mouse over effect... where the hand changes to an open palm when people move their cursor over the hand... just to make it a little more interactive and fun... as if you really are giving the hand a high-five.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Another idea and note just an idea... i just throw these out there in an effort to jump-start some collective brainstorming. Though since i haven't received any feedback on the last post, i suppose i'm brainstorming all on my own

(should work just as well 1/4 this size)

I thought this could be posted on tinwiki editors profile pages, who have successfully created/edited X# of articles to above par standards... that reach new heights (ceiling... get it?) or heights that are rarely reached. Having this "Award" hyperlinked to a tiWiki welcome page... would in turn allow the passing-through curious general membership to learn more about tinwiki and possibly ideally spark an interest in joining the effort.

[edit on 5-10-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I really like the awards you have made The All Seeing I. Do you have any specific nominations in mind you would like to try out, perhaps as an experiment, to see how they look in practise? I really like the ceiling award. You think it would look okay at 25% the size it is now? I do agree it might be a little big the way it is now. As for the awesomness award. I have to admit I was a little skeptical about the word "Awesomness" at first. But the more time I have had to think about it, it has grown on me. The only thing I might say about it though is do you think the white text is too hard to read? I am thinking it might be especially on tinWiki where the whole background is white. Other than that though, I think it is great. Why don't you nominate someone or an article you have in mind and try it out? If it doesn't work out, don't worry about it as it is a simple step to revert any changes that have been made.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reduced to aprox 1/4 & 1/3, bumped up the bold, beveled and matched color on text to blend in with the tile's over all aesthetic.

(200X200)

(300X300)

as for criteria/standards for award...
my initial thought was 10 Awesome Article Awards plus 20 standard (not stub) article entries... so that would be 30 total from which at least 10 have to be from a tinWiki editor or ATS staff's request list.

From my limited initial survey of our latest greatest contributors... i'd say skeptic1 is a definite awardee if he continues his current quantity and quality in pace.

I'm thinking it would make for an extra pinch of class to have such a person given a "tinWiki Edior" badge that has a tin-crown on top of the mascot with an extra title added to the badge ... like for instance "Master" or "Supremo"

Maybe these standards are too hard for most to reach, if this is the case then we can just lower them so more may partake in this honor/glory.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
As for "Awesomness"... it's meant to be taken with a little bit of humor. Much like the "tin" in tinwiki is not meant to be taken literally. The "awesome" reference i used just for fun plus there was something about "tinWiki Awesome Article Award" that had a ring to it. But if others prefer "Outstanding" or something other then, no problem... it's an easy fix.

Your concern over the readability on a white background may have merit, but when i was putting this together in adobe's CS3 i was working with a white background and didn't notice any issues in readability. This also is an easy fix... if we find it's hard for some to read.

On criteria for honoring an article, i was thinking a check list of characteristics we could provide people to aim for... all that is covered in the tutorial and maybe a couple above par.... call of duty?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Along with the "tinWiki Tin Ceiling Tile Award"
we could perhaps upgrade the tinWiki Badge to...

(a 1st draft, of mascot with tin crown & "Master" added to the title - i am open to any suggestions on how we may improve this)

...as well as a tinWiki page for each Master
to help them keep track of their contributions,
provide a convenience for monitoring and improving the articles they have created.
This page may also contain the editing links most often used by such an experienced editor.

With such a level of commitment in delivering quality in quantity, it's the least we can do...
to recognize and help star contributions maintain their stellar performance record.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

That's good, but seeing as it is tinWiki, maybe the crown could be reworked a bit to resemble tin-foil.....same shape, but a little more crinkled like the current logo's cap?

Just an idea....

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Excellent suggestion skeptic!

I am using adobe photoshop CS3 extended.

I tried a couple filters and masking tutorials with less then par mixed results...

here is the best of the attempts thus far
it's been a real challenge to get any definition
working on such a small scale...

I will try to make some improvements on this in the coming week.

...here's the sheet of tin-foil i've been using... maybe i need a better sheet?

[edit on 11-10-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Yeah, maybe another example would be better. But, it looks good.

Maybe one with more definition with the "crinkles" in the foil....more contrast with the light portions and dark portions.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
ok... i think i'm getting closer...
i used the original fullsize logo to sample from:

What do you guys/gals think?

new topics

top topics

join