It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the current DefCon level?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't know where I should ask this, so maybe this place will be good.

Does anyone know where can we get info about the current DefCon status? Or is it classified? And I'm not talking about the Homeland Security Alert level what we can monitor at the webpage of the Pentagon and the White House. I'm talking about the current military DefCon. I'm curious what status is on the military right now due to the current Georgian / St. Ossetian conflict. And also it would be good to see it as some sort of warning system, i.e. if some idiot is preparing the nukes and raise the alert level to DefCon 2. Honestly I'd like to know, because if something will start, we will be the very last ones whose are going to learn it via the news channels. And if we learn it, we will learn it from a bright flash.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Sheridan]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have wondered this myself and will keep an eye on your thread.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I don't see a reason to hide the DefCon status at all. If they've made the H.S. Level to public via the net, there should be a DefCon monitor too. Somewhere. Okay. It's just my guess.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Current level as of this morning was l-5, calm and quiet. Last I ever seen it was L-2 and that was when Cuba was getting missles from Russia. L1 means war is happening. But, it ranges from l5 to l1 and used more with higher ups like generals now days. At lease this is what I was told when in nam back in the late 60's and early 70's.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
DEFCON 3 would be most likely

--------------------------------------------------

DEFCON 5
This is the condition used to designate normal peacetime military readiness. An upgrade in military preparedness is typically made by the Joint Chiefs of Staff and announced by the United States Secretary of Defense.

DEFCON 4
This refers to normal, increased intelligence and the heightening of national security measures.

DEFCON 3
This refers to an increase to force readiness above normal. Radio call signs used by American forces change to currently-classified call signs.

DEFCON 2
This refers to a further increase in force readiness just below maximum readiness. The most notable time it was declared was during the Cuban Missile Crisis, although the declaration was limited to Strategic Air Command. It is not certain how many times this level of readiness has been reached.

DEFCON 1
This refers to maximum readiness. It is not certain whether this has ever been used, but it is reserved and new wording now is terrorist alert status

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Current military DEFCON status is DEFCON 5. However, one part of the military can be at one level while another can be at a different level. I am assuming that you are asking "How close are we to nuclear war", in which case the answer is DEFCON 5.

The DEFCON Warning System

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Sheridanwe will be the very last ones whose are going to learn it via the news channels. And if we learn it, we will learn it from a bright flash.

That's exactly the same thing I've said before. If (or with the way things have been going, when) it happens, that's how "Society" will find out about it. That's the reality that everyone in this country is in and has been for a long time. A few may hear it from a news outlet only if that news outlet knows about it, but how many will be given that information, and how many people are sitting at home 24/7 watching the news? Not to mention what time of day it will come.

Those living close enough to the silos to see our missiles going up are the only other ones who will have any idea that things are going to get really bad really soon.

There's more that comes to my mind right now, but I'll leave it with that.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Americantrucker

I belive that most of us living away from major population centers will survive, and may not even realize what is happening. At this point (looking at DEFCON from a purely nuclear standpoint) there is no threat. L5 is most likely. However, from a military standpoint, L4. We are at war, after all. We've got to have some level of readiness.

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
You can find out what the Defcon Level is by going to either:

www.defconlevel.com... (Which explains what the current defcon level is)

Or: www.defconlevels.com... (Which explains what the current defcon level is, and an explanation to what each level means will be added shortly).

posted on Apr, 11 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
So.... What is the definitive answer? 3? 4? Any reliable source out there?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
As stated in the Defcon Level site I posted, our current Defcon Level status is 4 at the time being.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The official DEFCON level is kept secret for a number of reasons so nobody can actually say for definite what the level actually is without breaking national security confidentiality agreements. Anyone who tries to tell you that we are at “DEFCON 2” or any other level is frankly talking out of their ass unless they are breaching national security confidentiality agreements. There is lots of speculation on the net about what level we are at but unless the government or a senior military source leak the level and lets us know then for now we are probably going to be in the dark.

If I had to guess I would say DEFCON 4 or 5, I would be extremely shocked if it was any lower than DEFCON 4 based on what the media have been reporting.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The Defcon level has changed to 3.
And yes, you can know what the Defcon level is.

www.debka.com...

Again, www.defconlevel.com...
edit on 13-4-2013 by wolfcry044 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by wolfcry044

Where exactly are these sites getting their intel? Or are they just pulling it out of their collective asses?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Where exactly are these sites getting their intel? Or are they just pulling it out of their collective asses?

They are just guessing like the rest of us. When it has gotten as low as 3 in the past people talk about it after because it is a big deal. 3 or 4 times in our history maybe. Right now I would guess 5.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
For instance:

www.defconlevel.com... is this guy:

Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Contact Email: [email protected]
Name Servers: NS1.PROMOTE1ST.COM|NS2.PROMOTE1ST.COM|
Registrant Name: www.promote1st.com...|Donald Standeford
Registrant City: Vancouver
Registrant State: WA
Registrant Postal Code: 98664
Registrant Country: UNITED STATES
Administrative Contact Email: ([email protected])
Administrative Contact Name: www.promote1st.com...|Donald Standeford
Administrative Contact Organization:
Administrative Contact Street: 7491 Delaware LN
Administrative Contact Street 2:
Administrative Contact city: Vancouver
Administrative Contact state: WA
Administrative Contact Postal Code: 98664
Administrative Contact Country:Administrative Contact city: UNITED STATES
Administrative Contact Fax:
Administrative Contact Phone 1.360353434

Why don't we call him and ask?

click thumbnail for larger screen capture

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

These sites have no way to know the true NORAD DefCon level unless they had a inside person that leaked it.

It is all a guess based on their personal assessment of world events and what this main BS site announced:

defconwarningsystem.com/.

The site even states : The DEFCON Warning System is a private enterprise which monitors world events and assesses nuclear threats against the United States by national entities. It is not affiliated with any government agency and does not represent the alert status of any military branch. The public should make their own evaluations and not rely on the DEFCON Warning System for any strategic planning. At all times, citizens are urged to learn what steps to take in the event of a nuclear attack.

In other words, as a fellow poster put it, they just pulling it out of their collective asses!

What I do know is that it hasn't changed in several years, if that will help you determine what DefCon we could be in.

Sirric
edit on 13/4/13 by sirric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Again, the information is out there on intelligence websites like Debka file, as I just posted to you a minute ago:

www.debka.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The point in having an alert website, is to cut through the big fat article and just show people what the status is so they can go through their day without having to dig through a bunch of information. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making things easier on people.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolfcry044
Again, the information is out there on intelligence websites like Debka file, as I just posted to you a minute ago:

www.debka.com...

Nobody legit takes Debkafile seriously. All they do is guess and tend to push worse case scarry scenerios. I guess that gets more traffic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join