It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Herd of Martian Creatures?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Are you purposely not answering my questions?

I see that you have admitted to creating sensationalist headlines, but you still won't address this specific issue. You posted a cropped picture and insinuated that they were a "herd" of "critters." Judging by what you just stated to NephraTari you purposely concocted that headline to bring attention to the photo.

The problem is, you knew that it was labeled as "Defrosting polar dunes" but did not say this to begin with. You say you promote research, yet you withheld information that would have greatly assisted others doing so. What is the purpose of drawing attention to this when you knew it was a natural phenomenon? It appears that you did no research on the photo, and if you did, I ask that you present it. The_Modulous did a great job of doing the research that you should have before you presented it.

The only conclusion that I can draw from you making this post is to further your reputation or claims about your research. You are consistently referring to other threads and will not address the questions concerning this one. I don't understand how this is helping your cause when you present information this way.

What research did you do for "The Herd" photo?

Why did you not mention the dune explanation to begin with? Especially when you challenge or mock those who think rocks are the common explanation for anomalous photos in the OP.

So yes an 'interesting" headline draws the crowd... and without crowd pleasers there would be little point in providing the effort

I get what you're saying, but how about learning or discovering as the point for your effort? Why do work only to please others? If they choose not to hear the good or 'real' information then that is their loss, not yours.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
The only problem I have with this is the way you presented it. Why did you crop the picture to show only what you called the "herd"?

Because only that part looked like a "herd"

I understand that you posted the link to the entire picture in the OP as well, I'm not saying you covered that part up.

Okay so since the whole picture is to large to post... and the whole picture has so much other stuff on it and as you say I provided the link to the original picture...

In every image in every anomaly thread we clip the relevant part of interest and show that section....

Unlike Hoagland and others I ALWAYS provide the link to the original and to the source... I am not paid to be here... surely it is not to much to expect people to follow the links and look for themselves? Oh yes I know you have lives off line so expect it all on a silver platter... well I too have other things that take my time...

Ummm what was your point?

If I remember correctly, you contribute to the website

Well it appears your memory is faulty... but I won't hold that against you
This is why I do what I do now... because people like yourself prefer to argue.. but do not read, do not follow links, do not pay attention but have time to point out what others are doing wrong...

The caption below the picture mentions that they were labeled as dunes. Why did you not mention this in your OP? You even challenged the assumption that they were rocks.

Why yes so it does... so I guess had anyone LOOKED they would have seen it presented what it is... So without any effort all you had to do was look at the full source link below the OP photo and you would have found where it came from

Stating "Dunes on Mars" would hardly have gathered people together for discussion... "like the Fossil on Mars thread... "A Herd of Martian Creatures?" with a QUESTION MARK on the other hand has brought this cool image to the attention of many... and I doubt there is one person here who thinks they are truly 'creatures'

If you wanted others to research and help the dune comment would have been an important piece of information, which you chose to leave out. Why?

Quite frankly I am here to do my own research and share what I find interesting with people who like it... I am not here to convince anyone of anything... I 'left that out' so others would have to do a little leg work on their own But rather than you simply posting the info from Living Moon you spent MORE effort arguing my methods

I am surprised that YOU did not point out that Malin had stated that they were Defrosting North Polar Dunes by simply following the link at the get go...

Like they say "Timing is everything"

Why did YOU not do more research on the dune possibility?

Ummm gee though question... let me see now... Well once you decide its a dune just how much more is there to research?
You yourself just pointed out what it says at LM

I also want to know why you would say that line of dunes looked like a herd without saying the hundreds more above it weren't also in the herd?

Perhaps I don't look at things in the same way you do?...

And BTW I don't respond well to demands for immediate answers
My computer is on all day and I go out on calls, so just because my Avatar is here does not mean I am... and I also have many questions to answer in many threads so I do apologize for not being able to maintain your schedule.

Now I hope that covers you qustions as I have promised not to 'engage the enemy' anymore. There is work to be done

So all I can say is if you do not like my style, then please go find the images yourself and present them as you see fit...

Deal?

It seems that you are selectively presenting the information to create the most sensational post.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
I DO think posting interesting pictures is cool though, keep doing that. But there is no need to sensationalize every picture with wild ideas.

Well wait till you see the next one...

Now then I have a question for all you guys/gals saying you prefer a more 'honest' approach to my headlines...

Fair enough... I expect your INTELLIGENT comments in the Fossil thread... If I don't see this I can only assume everything you have said about my style here is total BS and only meant to inflame... and as thus will be ignored in the future

You can't have it both ways

Thanks

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Well it appears your memory is faulty... but I won't hold that against you
This is why I do what I do now... because people like yourself prefer to argue.. but do not read, do not follow links, do not pay attention but have time to point out what others are doing wrong...

1. I know for a fact that you are associated with, and contribute, to the LM and PRC. Though in this case you may have taken this portion from the website, because the very next picture is what you posted for your "Alternative 3 Base" thread.

2. Actually I did read. You didn't post the site on 'The Living Moon' which referred to your photo so I had to use the URL and find it myself. The only link you gave was to the full picture itself. I had to find the page which showed the specs for the photo (pixel width, etc.). You posted very, very little information to read and one link to follow.

The caption below the picture mentions that they were labeled as dunes. Why did you not mention this in your OP? You even challenged the assumption that they were rocks.

Why yes so it does... so I guess had anyone LOOKED they would have seen it presented what it is... So without any effort all you had to do was look at the full source link below the OP photo and you would have found where it came from

You didn't post anything for people to LOOK. You didn't post the site on "The Living Moon" which referred to the dunes. You didn't post the Malin site which labeled them as dunes. How hard would have that been?

Stating "Dunes on Mars" would hardly have gathered people together for discussion... "like the Fossil on Mars thread... "A Herd of Martian Creatures?" with a QUESTION MARK on the other hand has brought this cool image to the attention of many... and I doubt there is one person here who thinks they are truly 'creatures'

Then what's the point?? There is nothing to discuss because they were already identified as dunes! What is the point of talking about this photo?

Quite frankly I am here to do my own research and share what I find interesting with people who like it... I am not here to convince anyone of anything... I 'left that out' so others would have to do a little leg work on their own But rather than you simply posting the info from Living Moon you spent MORE effort arguing my methods

Are you kidding me? You don't come here to convince others? Do you not remember just saying...

So yes an 'interesting" headline draws the crowd... and without crowd pleasers there would be little point in providing the effort

The people who end up doing leg work, like myself, are only angered because our time was not productively spent. We research only to find that you knew the information was already there. I'm more than willing to help research this kind of thing, but you're wasting the time of people who will when you hide info.

I posted the info from the living moon to back up my argument against you. I prefer to link evidence to arguments. You "left out" information that would have averted any discussion. This thread was unnecessary because it doesn't further anything but creating drama about a issue that you knew was already solved.

Why did YOU not do more research on the dune possibility?

Ummm gee though question... let me see now... Well once you decide its a dune just how much more is there to research?
You yourself just pointed out what it says at LM

EXACTLY. There is no point to this thread, you just admitted it. You knew there was nothing to discuss so you left out information which forced others to spend time discovering something you already knew. I don't see how you can say that you don't care what others think or pander to them, yet you create an entire thread that could only do so.

I also want to know why you would say that line of dunes looked like a herd without saying the hundreds more above it weren't also in the herd?

Perhaps I don't look at things in the same way you do?...

You mean logically, and not with the intent to fool others?

And BTW I don't respond well to demands for immediate answers
My computer is on all day and I go out on calls, so just because my Avatar is here does not mean I am... and I also have many questions to answer in many threads so I do apologize for not being able to maintain your schedule.

You responded to others questions while bypassing mine multiple times, which I why I asked.

If you spent less time attempting to fool us, and hurting your rep in the process, people would spend more time on the threads you consider real. When I see you post threads like this it doesn't make me want to check out your other ones, knowing that I might spend my time researching an answer you withheld from us.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Parabol]

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Parabol]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I know for a fact that you are associated with, and contribute,

You missed the FACT that it is MY website bought and paid for by MY dollars and uses MY bandwidth to host those huge files so it doesn't strain lesser websites resources and the content is provide free of charge to viewers of ATS... and unlike here I do not run it as a business, have no ads nor take donations

So again what is your point?

Bu bye now... I have threads to make...

Maybe I will try the multiple !!! method next

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ha, ok, my bad on your relation to LM then. I thought you meant you didn't contribute by your earlier statement.

My point was withholding information to force people who willing to research is counter productive because it wastes our time when we could be researching something with meaning. It is also generally misleading and does not help promote something you find which may have merit.

I'll also be in those threads as well. By no means do I mean to attack you or your material, but I will give my input or research when available. Heck, I hope you find something great, just don't waste our time with pictures like this one.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
"By summer, the spots expanded to encompass the entire dunes that were then completely thawed and dark."

Aare there any summertime photos available?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

My point was withholding information to force people who willing to research is counter productive because it wastes our time when we could be researching something with meaning.

Well showing an odd picture of Mars hardly qualifies as research. It is merely an exercise in perception... As to those wishing to do real research it generally works like this...

I toss in an interesting comment like Aquila Cargo Transports have been going to Mars for some time... Then a few people notice that and make smart ass comments... But an even fewer amount take the time to ask me what I am talking about. At this point I usually get a U2U asking me. Then I provide a document and see what 'understanding' they get out of it. At this point they become true researchers who wish to spend their time better

Now when you say "researching something with meaning" what did you have in mind?

It is also generally misleading and does not help promote something you find which may have merit.

Well I disagree... when I state "Base on Mars Discovered?" and post this image below... I literally mean that I believe it to be a structure on Mars and am thus promoting it as such... you are of course welcome to call it "just a rock" But then you could have posted the same image and said "Hey Interesting Rock Here!" and I would come into your thread and say "Looks like a structure to me"

By no means do I mean to attack you or your material, but I will give my input or research when available.

No attack perceived or taken
I get a lot of opposing views.

Heck, I hope you find something great, just don't waste our time with pictures like this one.

Well I have found lots, but the good stuff is not in pictures... but it is only a waste of your time if you chose it to be... would you have been here if I said "Come and look at this face I see in the cloud" then show you a face in the cloud?

Of course YOU might say "its just seeing what you want to see" or "pattern recognition" whereas I might say it was a 'cloud spirit looking back at you'

Its all a matter of perspective... but never a waste of time

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Have anyone else noticed that the "animals on mars" have a dark spot on one side. Almost all of them have.

I thought of sand dunes as well from the start. But could these things be huts?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Could it be buggalo?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Interesting anomaly! almost looks like a herd of elephants but I have no idea of the size area of that photo. Looks like ponds or dunes with something growing along its edges, its hard to tell, the photo is always of poor, colorless quality...

I cannot believe they didn't take military-grade color cameras to Mars. They probably have the best stuff for themselves and pass the crud to us, though. Its impossible to tell if something is the size of a car or the size of swimming pool, etc.

Hard to tell whats around it, bushes, boulders, pools, depressions in the ground...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
Ron, there's an Hirise image, PSP_007040_2570
Labeled:
Defrosting North Polar Dunes Seasonal Changes
that maybe may help somehow

I've cropped an odd formation: but i won't say what it does look to me, lol.

All kidding aside that looks like a fungi. Much like some wee have on earth.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xylophobia
It makes me think of ice balls of some form. The spring idea is good... perhaps those are springs that have frozen.

But... what I find most intriguing is... what are the things that do look like trees of some sort.

And yes... I am a rock person. You have found something that doesn't look like a rock.

Let me get this right, you are a rock person, a person made of rock? Wow thats worthy of a thread all of its own.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4x4fun
Maybe it's Mr. and Mrs. Pacman and their family in search of alien ghosts.
Pretty neat stuff

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hi all. First post ever

This looks like a dollar bush - commonly found growing in deserts in Africa and gravel plains. the dune builds up behind the bush due to being in the lee of it, and traps moisture from the air which is utilized by a network of very fine roots. still very interesting though.

Sorry if thats a bit boring... saw it on Ray Mears.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
First time posting,constantly lurking. This site makes me happy.
Anyway My first impression is something like igloos/domes perhaps where the darkened triangles all facing the same direction could be openings. My second guess would be an oranic growth like leftovers of a type of coral reef. I don't see sand or beasts. It's very interesting whatever it is.

What is the scale on these images?
S.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Its quite refreshing from the rock idgits don't you think?

"Rock Idgits" ?

Your just jealous because we are always right

Loved the bugs by the way.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It seems they are dunes with defrosting spots.. well according to the folks at the Planetary Sciences department of the University of Arizona anyways. The HiRISE camera gives a great view of Mars land formations and at a very high resolution. They are fun to search through that's for sure.

HiRISE dune images

[edit on 30-8-2008 by NiNjABackflip]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Well I bet I have more rocks in my garage, backyard, side lot storage unit than YOU do
Now about that secret location? Wouldn't want you to take it to the grave
Promise I won't tell anyone

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It looks like big snowballs with vegetation growing on them. I am not sure about sand dunes because you would think they would be smoother and not have well developed ending around them. I am going for weathered ice. Maybe the formation of glaciers,

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join