It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Herd of Martian Creatures?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Is there any reference regarding altitude or the area where it was taken? I don't know whether it's a close up terrain feature or it's way below the camera.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
What in tarnations! I know the shuttle commander said there was intelligent life but...but..a herd of panda Mars bears? I'm floored.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Well I would be curious to see how the usual horde of "IT'S ONLY ROCKS" crowd deals with this one

Sand dunes with ice frosting. Balls back in your court Zorgon. Show us a second photo from a different date showing that they moved. Herds move pretty much constantly. Dunes move slowly.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Star and flag for you zorgon,
very nice find.

I have no idea what they are
but they aint no rocks

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seb2882

Mars Global Surveyor means it was taken from orbit. Those would be some HUGE animals

Classic dune shape, covered in frost.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Looks like igloos or something.. perhaps a native Martian habitat/community.
Cool image tho.. Thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Lets just send some private satellites up and have a real look see.

I'd pay a few bucks a month for the forums access if it meant in 6 years having access to private satellite photographs... Maybe SO will commit 50% of advertising profits to the mission as well...

Coven

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by coven

Above Top Secret LLC Satelitte Co. Incorporated

I like it! I will be the cocktail waitress at base.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by seb2882
Is there any reference regarding altitude or the area where it was taken? I don't know whether it's a close up terrain feature or it's way below the camera.

Map projection is north polar stereographic
Longitude of image center: 35.10°W
Latitude of image center: 78.74°N
Scaled pixel width: 5.06 meters
Scaled image width: 3.42 km
Scaled image height: 15.89 km

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Well sadly that satellite is no longer responding according to NASA... Its too bad really because you could actually put in a request for a area... figures the darn thing goes dark the minute I find out about that

I will have to see if Mars Express covered the Herd area

Dunes? Did someone say Dunes?
Hmmm I think I have some of those here somewhere...

Oh yeah here we go...

Triangular Dunes of Barsoom

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

LOL!

Great picture, it is very interesting no matter what it is. I thought it looked a lot like raw cotton! There is definately some kind of vegetation going on in this picture.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
What is most interesting to me is the frequency of reproduction of a feature. In the original source image, it looks like about 90% (eyeball estimate) of the objects share a similar dark triangular feature in the top left.

Here is a section of the original image I used

Here is that same image with all the objects that I believe display this similar feature marked with a red dot. (The red dot doesn't mark the feature itself, it is just identifying which objects seem to have the triangular feature in the upper left portion.)

This would seem to give credence to a wind or water erosion theory. However, the problem then is why each object also displays other markings in a seemingly random manner? Swirling might explain those random features. At the same time swirling would not support the common feature. Can anyone tie the similar and random features together with a geological process?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BuffaloJoe
What is most interesting to me is the frequency of reproduction of a feature. In the original source image, it looks like about 90% (eyeball estimate) of the objects share a similar dark triangular feature in the top left.

I think they are possibly shadows, which would explain why they all come from the same direction. As for the speckled black parts around the edges, I have no idea the photo is not detailed enough to give an explanation.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Whiterabbit29]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Buggalo?

That's what the photos reminds me of but i'd say dunes/erosion from wind are more likely.
The dark spots could be plant life or a volcanic rock of some sort.

Probably not Buggalo.... this time!

EDIT TO ADD SOMETHING USEFUL:

just saw this...

www.dailymail.co.uk /sciencetech

Looking like a gigantic series of hoofmarks, they appear to gallop across the Martian desert.

These massive dunes were photographed by Nasa's £360 million spacecraft, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The dunes, in the Red Planet's Hellespontus region, have been shaped by powerful westerly winds.

The wind heaps up the sand in a horseshoe shape also seen in earthly deserts and called a barchan dune.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by the00110001]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Belly intellestink. I'll give one possible answer.

What you are looking at could be a martian golf course, possbly with the holes being connected by a system of caves. And I'm dead serious. Chew on that one for a minute.

NOTE: Image is best viewed after pink elephant blocking sunglasses have been discarded.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
If you look carefully at the flecks on the "creatures" they are the same as the flecks elsewhere. This suggest that the anomolies are something swelling up from below. Still very intersting and not just rocks.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
At first sight it realy looked like a herd. Still if anything natural (not living), then why this kind of grouping? If it are sand dunes, then are those black things plants?

Good find

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
There are no tracks, which would indicate movement, such as most "herds" tend to do. I don't believe them to be rocks, but if they are a "herd" of anything, then they are a stationary herd. Certainly wouldn't rule out something organic, though.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The original pic you provided shows they are all over the place, so why do this?

obviously theyre not space moomoos..

typos.. meh

[edit on 8/29/2008 by bloodcircle]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acharya
reply to post by zorgon

CRAP! Thats AMAZING!!!

Nice work again, Z!!

Edit: Sand dunes me thinks too now...
But that sure seems like plants growing on them???

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Acharya]

Zoinks !!!
)

Hey those arent cows, they're sand dunes.. But ohmagosh, is that cows growing on those sand dunes?

oO

now my sides hurt.. thanks.. inadvertant meanie..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join