It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge issues death sentence for rape and murder of Idaho boy

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

BOISE, Idaho - A longtime sex offender was sentenced to death Wednesday for the 2005 kidnapping, torture and murder of a 9-year-old northern Idaho boy after federal jurors who watched video of some of the brutality deliberated just three hours.

The jurors' recommendation was binding on U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge, who thanked them, dismissed them and then sentenced Joseph Edward Duncan III.

Relatives of the victim, Dylan Groene, remained somber as the jury's decision was announced. Duncan murdered Dylan's mother, older brother and his mother's fiance to kidnap him and his younger sister, who was sexually abused along with her brother but survived.

"We're happy with the verdict, but it's a shame — this should have been limited to one death," said Steven Groene, the father of the children. "He should have had the courage and the guts to kill himself before killing anyone else."

Duncan showed no reaction other than smiling as the verdict was passed to the judge.

He took Dylan and the boy's then-8-year-old sister, Shasta, to a remote western Montana campsite where he raped, tortured and threatened them before shooting Dylan in the head and burning his body. Jurors viewed horrifying video Duncan made of him sexually abusing, torturing and hanging Dylan until the boy lost consciousness.

"This defendant is dangerous. He is a predator who takes pride in his work," prosecutor Traci Whelan said. "He earned this day. His actions ... call out for the death penalty."

Duncan acted as his own attorney but had offered no response to prosecutors' closing argument.

News Article

Good to see that justice has prevailed in such a sad and heart wrenching case. The little boy is gone now and the little girl will likely never be the same after watching her brother get butchered by this evil monster, but at least the family and the rest of the world may take comfort in the fact that he will never have the opportunity to hurt another child again for the rest of his short miserable life.

My initial question when reading this was WHY wasn't he put away sooner?

Duncan's life

Feb. 25, 1963 -- Born, raised in Tacoma, Wash.

1978 -- Rapes 9-year-old boy at gunpoint.

1979 -- Arrested in stolen car, sent to Dyslin's Boys' Ranch in Tacoma. Tells therapist he bound and sexually assaulted six boys, and estimated 13 rapes of younger boys by the time he was 16.

1980 -- Duncan, one month shy of 17, is sent to prison on 20-year sentence for raping 14-year-old boy at gunpoint.

1994 -- Paroled in Seattle.

1996 -- Sammiejo White, 11, and Carmen Cubias, 9, half sisters from suburban Seattle, were last seen leaving their motel room in north Seattle. Bodies found in February 1998.

April 4, 1997 -- Anthony Martinez, 10, is kidnapped from Beaumont. Body found April 19.

Aug. 27, 1997 -- Duncan arrested in Kansas City, Mo., while staying at his half sister's house. Returned to prison in Washington.

July 14, 2000 -- Released from prison.

July 3, 2004 -- Duncan is arrested for allegedly molesting one boy and trying to molest another at playground in MInnesota. Released on bail.

April 11, 2005 -- Last contact with police officer in Fargo, N.D. Two days later, Duncan bought night vision goggles and other items at Fargo Wal-Mart.

April 15 -- Rents Jeep in St. Paul, Minn., and jumps bail.

Mid-May -- Duncan stalks the Groene family home outside Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, for several days before kidnapping Groene 9 and his 8 year old sister Shasta.

It is sad that our judicial system would give this werewolf chance after chance to molest and abuse kids. He left a trail of victims in his wake and most of these attacks could have been prevented by enforcing stricter penalties for the first act he commited against a little kid.

There should be a one strike rule in effect against people like Duncan, molest one child and rot in prison for life.

[edit on 8/28/08 by BlackOps719]

[edit on 8/28/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Why not molest one child and be executed with extreme prejudice immediately after losing the last appeal?

IMO, the death penalty needs to be issued for more crimes, not less.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by A Wolf Among Sheep

If anything I would like to see our prison system emptied of low risk, non violent drug offenders and filled to max capacity with violent sexual predators like this guy.

It seems like a child molester can abuse a young child and get away with a slap on the wrist. They only seem get tough on them after they have ruined multiple lives.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I happen to be against the death penalty, but at the same time I would like to be there to see this scumbag fry, slowly. I think death is too good for this monster. I think maybe locking him in a room without food or water might be a nice way to execute him.

As I said, I am against the death penalty by principle and for a variety of reasons. But I am glad that no one will be able to make the mistake of letting this monster back into society again. A mistake that was repeated far too many times as the OP pointed out. They let this guy out, meanwhile there is an old black guy down in South Carolina still sitting in prison since the 60's for stealing a television.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

There should be a one strike rule in effect against people like Duncan, molest one child and rot in prison for life.

The problem with that is that such a rule would be abused, and actually wind up a miscarriage of justice once again. There are plenty of people who were sent to prison for decades, accused of molesting children, only to be exonerated. Then there are the innocent people who will never get the chance to be exonerated.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Thank you for that comment, jackinthebox. I was going to say something pretty similar. Its sad when a sex crime can mean anything from harming a child to flashing your goodies to the cute neighbor lady to mooning grandma on the freeway.

Not all sex offenders are child molesters. Its time the government gets on the ball and corrects this injustice.

But on topic, I am thankful that he is finally put away. I do agree, that it was a bit too late and should of happened plenty of years prior. Someone should of seen the pattern that was happening and stopped it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I can see your point Jack, but damn. This guy had an estimated 13 rapes of young boys under his belt by the time he hit age 16.

He should have never even seen daylight as an adult, he should have been put underneath the jail and forgotten about. Then those kids he raped and more important the ones he murdered would all be in a much better place right now.

It baffles me how learned and eductaed individuals like judges can make such horrid decisions but letting these offender walk time and again until ultimately someone loses their life. And I agree, there are lots of men like you describe still in prison for minor offenses.

Think of how many drug offenders there are doing 10-20+ years for doing nothing more than using a controlled substance. There are some people doing life without parole for drug offenses, while podophiles and people who are actually a danger to our society are getting out in 2 years with counseling and good behavior.

The justice system in America leaves a lot to be desired.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think the video was what hung this guy. Discribing how the accused abused a kid does not have the impact that a video does.

Unfortunately accusing someone of sexual abuse of a child is often misused by those who have an ax to grind. I have seen it used as a weapon against friends in four separate cases. A classic case is this

mysite.verizon.net...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I can see your point Jack, but damn. This guy had an estimated 13 rapes of young boys under his belt by the time he hit age 16.

And even there is another whole can of worms. The Juvenile Criminal Justice system in this country. You have 14-year olds being tried as adults and even executed, while others are still treated as juveniles and released at 21 no matter what they have done.

In this case though, it certainly seems that someone should have been able to do something to keep this animal off the streets. Even at 18 or 21, if not at 16.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

It seems that the laws pertaining to minors varies from state to state.

When I was in high school in Virginia I knew a 15 year old who was arrested for armed robbery of a convenience store. He received 25 natural years, even though he was only an accomplice and didnt even hold a gun.

On the other hand I also knew a 16 year old that stabbed a crack head to death because he owed him money, he served two years and was released on his 18th birthday.

It would seem that the legal system on the federal level needs to get on the same page as what the states are doing and make it even across the board.

Even still, a 15 year old really isnt the same today as they were even 10 years ago. There are hard core gang banging murderers walking the streets at 14 and 15.

Sexual related crimes involving children should receive hard sentencing for first offense, and multiple offenses should be a capital crime.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

If prostitution were legalized, you would probably cut down on 80 percent of sex crimes. There was a child molester on the Steve Wilkos show today who said he goes after little girls out of fear of rejection from grown women. That's true for a lot of child molesters, if not most of them. Many child molesters are not true pedophiles, they just seek out easy targets, which happen to be children.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I have always believed that many child molestors are more or less are inadequate and unable to maintain a normal sexual relationship with an adult female (for whatever reason) so instead they go after children who are less threatening and unable to reject them. Some are born with a predisposed preference for kids, but many evolve into such a role.

This was the case with Andre Chikatilo, he was a Russian child rapist who murdered hundreds of girls in the woods near the train station in his home town.

His reason for doing what he did was sexual inadequacy and impotence.

Prostitution should be legalized anyway, it is a victimless crime when performed in a safe and mutaully beneficial environment. It is the oldest profession in the world, and when legalized and overseen by government health boards and regulators is in reality not harming anyone.

It takes away the criminal element of drugs and pimps, it provides safety for the women, and most important it provides a sexual outlet for ticking time bombs who would otherwise turn to children and other sources of means to obtain sexual gratification.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You ever read this guys blog? His ramblings sound a bit like some of the stuff that gets posted on ATS...here is an exerpt:

The Demons Have Taken Over 9:17 PM
Thanks for the comments. As far as letting God take care of the Demons, too late. They've locked up the "Happy Joe" person in the same dungeon that "Happy Joe" kept them in for so many years. Now they are loose and I am very afraid. From now on I may refer to "Happy Joe" as "Jet" (me) and the demons as "The Bogeyman." If you are familiar with me or even my fifthnail website then you will understand the names (see www.fifthnail.com).

I have been asking God to help defeat the demons. In fact, last night I was on my knees begging him, crying out loud to him, to help me. He didn't answer, again. The problem is I am loosing my religion. I don't accept anything at face value, not even my own thoughts. So when I start having religious convictions I question the source. And in my current situation I figure I am under a lot of stress, and there are perfectly natural human mechanisms that account for all religious experiences. The demons (if that's what they/it are/is--I use the term for mere convenience) have convinced me that I should at least question my religious beliefs, (this makes sense, otherwise I would believe anything) and that is how they got the key to the dungeon, and trapped me inside.

To be more specific, I am scared, alone, and confused, and my reaction is to strike out toward the perceived source of my misery, society. My intent is to harm society as much as I can, then die. As for the "Happy Joe" (Jet), well he was just a dream. The bogeyman was alive and happy long before Happy Joe.

fifthnail.blogspot.com...

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Well after reading that psychotic filth I for one am happy to know that "Happy Joe" will be going for a happy ride in the gas chamber.

So long Happy Joe, sorry you were ever born you POS.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Well after reading that psychotic filth I for one am happy to know that "Happy Joe" will be going for a happy ride in the gas chamber.
So long Happy Joe, sorry you were ever born you POS.

See, I read that and I see a really crazy individual. Keep in mind he did NOT write that blog so that it could show up at trial.

Pull it up, read how he says he "is not a pedophile". He was not speaking to a parole board, he was not addressing a jury, he was not pleading for mercy, he was not putting a nice "spin" on his crimes for others.

He was rambling on an internet blog and sharing his sincere reality. He talks about how he never abused a child, why even bring that up? I see it as a true glimpse into the relaxed mind of a psychopath that has lost touch with reality.

Fascinating stuff.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Awesome, I heard about this today. We are sick of watching our state screw around with this guy any more. Kill this piece of human garbage and let him be forgotten by history.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

If prostitution were legalized, you would probably cut down on 80 percent of sex crimes.

I am female and I could not agree with you more. Make prostitution legal and medical test the women and the johns. It would cut down on disease and abuse of run aways who wind up as prostitutes. We clutter our jails with people who have done no harm to anyone and let the real criminals go free. Now the government is about to shove NAIS down the throats of another 2 million people (Farmers) and either turn them into criminals or welfare recipients so corprations can buy up their land cheap. Maybe that is what all those prison camps are for, the farmers who rebell against the corporate land grab.

www.citizensforaconstitutionalrepublic.com...

"Suspicion is a Virtue, if in the interests of the good of the people." Patrick Henry

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I have trouble with the death penalty..ONLY because of the politics involved, not the ethical assumption that life is sacred. This beings words from his own mouth decided his fate. I have read the transcripts of this man and I can come to only one conclusion...I would gladly put my .44 mag in this cretins mouth and pull the trigger with no compunction. I would not blink an eye nor lose any sleep over the action. I don't care that he might be mentaly ill or have been a victim himself. I applaud the actions of this jury and i pray that his lawyers let the execution procede without the circus of apeals that last 20 -25 years. He is guilty by his own words and no apeal will change this mans fate.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I found the blog a bit too disturbing.

The man is either mentally ill or just plain evil. Some of the stuff he wrote in there is just twisted. It wouldnt suprise me from the wording if he were ruled mentally ill as a lot of signs in his wording points to schitzophrenia or some other defect.

It still doesnt change the fact that he deserves to be executed for what I would classify as one of the most dispicable crimes in recent memory. I feel so bad for the little girl who lived and her father who lost his entire family.

If there is a hell then this creep will burn for sure.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I don't usually get nostalgic, but on the subject of child molesters and rapists, I yearn for the good old days in America, when those sorts of people were put to death as a matter of course.

This has been said already, in this thread and others, but it bears repeating. People routinely spend decades in prison because they sold or imported drugs, while rapists, pedophiles, and cold-blooded violent offenders are released in a few months or a few years.

It's wrong.

It needs to change.

The people of this country are the ones who have to change it - don't wait for the politicians to do it for you. Do it yourself.

I would love to see the justice system live up to its name before I die, wouldn't you?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join