It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two-headed baby boy Kiron dies at home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Two-headed baby boy Kiron dies at home

www.news.com.au

A BABY boy born with two heads has died after his parents took him home because they could not afford his medical care.

The Bangladeshi boy, named Kiron, was born on Monday by caesarean section and died at home late yesterday after developing a fever and breathing difficulties, paediatrician KS Alam said.

Kiron had attracted such attention that 150,000 people gathered at the clinic where he was cared for after his birth in Keshobpur, 135km from the capital Dhaka.

Police were called in to control the crowds and Kiron was moved to a hospital in nearby Jessore city.

But his parents decided, against doctors' advice, to take him home, Dr Alam said.

"We wanted to refer him to a hospital in Dhaka but the family was so poor that they could not afford to take him there, so they took him home where he died," Dr Alam said.

"It was a very unusual case. The boy had one body but two complete heads."

He weighed 5.5kg at birth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Would it have been possible for it to live this way with proper healthcare???

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I wonder why all those 150,000 people couldn't take up a collection for this baby's care? The poor baby, and the poor parents.

There is a set of twins somewhere in the US that were born like this. They are in their teens now.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I personally believe we're going to start seeing this happening in this country around the Great Lakes in the not too distant future. I've been reading alot about more and more frogs, snakes, turtles, and fish being discovered with extra limbs or two heads thanks to the heavy metal contaminants and pollution in the water & soil surrounding the lakes. As the human population there continues to grow, more of that land will be used for farming, more fish from the lakes will be used for food, and more water will be used for irrigation and drinking water, exposing the people there to the same high concentrations of whatever mutagenic contaminants the wildlife is consuming.

True, amphibians are much more susceptible to these types of mutations than other animals are, but when we're seeing it happening with the reptiles & fish as we are now, it should serve as a warning alarm that it is gradually moving up the food chain and action needs to be taken.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Allowed to die for a cost saving.

That's why our 'intelligent' species is long overdue extinction.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
www.earthtimes.org...

Doctor Abdul Bari who delivered the baby following a Caesarian section said there had been little chance of Kiron's survival.

The daily Ittefaq said many people were giving money to Kiron's mother in exchange of blessings from her odd off spring.

I'm wondering which account is accurate and which one has been embelished upon. According to this article, the chances of him surviving regardless weren't good and the family was actually receiving money from the throng of people wanting to see the baby. It is possible that this article is propagandized, but it is also possible the other article is agenda driven to use the little boy as a pawn in the fight against global poverty.

As is always the case, the real answer probably lies somewhere between the two articles. The boy's family was likely impoverished, but the chances for him surviving any procedure was probably very slim to the point that his parents didn't want to put him through it and just wanted a little bit of private time to spend with him during his final hours. I'm not very versed in Indian culture, but I do know many cultures view a relative passing in their home, surrounded by family more favorably than then dying in a hospital surrounded by strangers. That may have played a more important role than money here.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
There is a set of twins somewhere in the US that were born like this. They are in their teens now.

Link please...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LynUK

How much of your net worth did you offer up as payment for medical services?

Anything at all?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LynUK

Every species on earth acts the very same way. Intelligence has no baring when genetics decides the rules. We can try to defy the rules but in the end, if the body cannot survive on its own, or in this case on they're own, the body dies. No amount of soulfull caring makes a differance. Only when we can manipulate our genetic makeup in the womb will these occurances be kept at bay. Medical interferance can allow them to live but does it actually make they're lives better? I don't know, I just know that I would not want to live that way.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Wolf Among Sheep
reply to post by LynUK

How much of your net worth did you offer up as payment for medical services?

Anything at all?

You are out of order. I only learned about the original story here. Even if I didn't, no-one got a chance to 'chip-in', so that was a real cheap shot.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

It's true. The twin girls were featured on a program like 20/20. They were about 12 years old, when it aired a year ago, and I think they said that they lead normal lives.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Originally posted by virraszto

Link please...

Abbey and Brittany turn 16

[edit on 28-8-2008 by virraszto]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I'm not the one who mentioned it, but I believe he may be referring to the Hansels
en.wikipedia.org...

Abigail "Abby" Loraine Hensel and Brittany "Britty" Lee Hensel (born 7 March 1990, Carver County, Minnesota, United States), are highly symmetric dicephalic parapagus conjoined twins, and further, tribrachius, bipedus. They have two spines and separate half-sacrums, which converge distally within a slightly broad pelvis. They each control and sense their corresponding arm and leg; a third, rudimentary central arm was amputated in infancy.

Not to be an ass or anything, but this:

They expect to date, get married and have children.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around considering that they seem to be legally considered as two separate people everywhere else in the Wiki page. If they were to get married, would it be to two different men, or just one? If it was just one, would that mean it was just one of them married to him and then what would happen in the case of the other one not wanting to remain with that man? What happens if one of the girls wants to have sex and the other one does not, would it constuitute rape? The logistics here make my head spin.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I have a hard time understanding it, also. They each control one side of their body, but who controls the private area? Who gets pregnant and who gives birth?

Fyi...I'm not a guy.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

If a lady doesn't understand, a guy sure won't!!!! Like the saying goes- 'If a man says he thinks he understands women, you are listening to a man very confused!!!

Zindo

[edit on 8/28/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

I remember reading in a Ripley's Believe it or Not as a kid the story about the two famous Siamese twin brothers from the old PT Barnum sideshow era. They married sisters and ended up having 20 some children between the two of them. Slightly different situation as they had two full bodies connected at the chest, but same general head scratching at exactly how that would work.

I feel bad for these girls, although they appear to be amazingly well adjusted and happy, so that's good.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It certainly raises some interesting questions!

I guess if even biologically, only one of them is "able"
, that in order to keep things simple, that they're both considered "the parent"?

I say that because whilst they're two separate personalities, and I guess you'd say two people, they aren't physically separate, so it isn't like each of them has the option to walk away.

From that point of view, I think you'd have to consider them one person for certain legal things (such as child birth) but two people on an intellectual level for other things (work etc).

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
What if....one of the twins was a boy and one was a girl?

That's a whole other can of worms. I wonder if there has ever been a case of boy/girl in this situation?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Damn, the questions keep pouring out of my mind! For their job, I wonder if they are compensated as one worker or two and if they pay a single income tax or two? Also, since one twin controls one side of the body and the other controls the other side, what would happen if the right side twin killed someone? It would be horrible for the left side twin to be imprisoned for something they had no control over.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If the baby/s died that fast it is very unlikely they could have saved it anyways.

Doctors do not just start hacking away at conjoined twins, it takes them a while to figure out what parts they have, what parts work, etc...and I don't think they would have had time to diagnose/fix the problem that fast.

It was probably a blessing the parents took the boys home and let them die in peace.

Regarding the American girls, I have seen info on them and I do not recall that they ever had any major surgery. They are just amazingly lucky.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Sonya610]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join