It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy over ex president Jimmy Carter in video calling Obama "black boy"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well, he is young.
It's only ok when a fellow lib says it, don't cha know?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Im human.

In other words... you are white... and you have no sense of what it means to be offended by being called "black" or "boy"... you simply have your anglo saxon guilt guiding your outrage.

As a BLACK person... I can tell you that the word is not offensive. And if someone called me a Boy... yes... I'd be pissed... but... if someone made a statement about my childhood then saying boy... is 100% appropriate.

Now get off your high horse.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xylophobia

No high horse, just think that his choice of words were unfortunate.

Im also pointing out the obvious double standard when applied to race.

[edit on 8/28/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by xylophobia

No high horse, just think that his choice of words were unfortunate.

[edit on 8/28/08 by BlackOps719]

And that's your opinion. But... it's not a universal opinion. And when discussing someone's childhood... why is it bad to say "boy" that I simply don't understand.

I think you see him as calling Barack a boy in the present tense. Like... "He's a good boy and deserves to win" or something like that. He didn't say that... he was talking about when he was a boy.

And it's the twisting of the context that causes the problem. It's not WHAT Carter said... it's how you are applying meaning to what he said.

So the problem is not really with what he said... but in your interpretation of what he said. The context You (and others) are applying to his statement... that's the truly unfortunate thing.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Uhhh yeah, because we don't have dozens of exmaples of the media over blowing things Republicans have said and running them out of town.

Macaca anyone?

The fact is, you guys on the left and your propaganda media have always had one standard for us and another for yourselves.

Yeah kinda like how someone like Nixon is ripped apart for something small like bugging an office, but then when this administration lies about justification for a war, or enables the Patriot Act, or outs a CIA operative, you never hear anything about it and it's swept under the rug by the media.

If the media was truly liberal this administration would have been bent over and raped long ago for all the blunders and mistakes it has made, just like Nixon. So I just have to laugh when accusations are made that this media is at all liberal.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think if you consider that Jimmy Carter is in his 80's and Obama is in his 40's, the word "boy" means just that. Compared to Jimmy Carter, Barack Obama is a child. Perceptions that he was unintentionally uttering a racist term are what is wrong with this country and why racism in any context will never go away.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well, I suppose this means, given the context and what was actually said that it's no longer just the N word... but all reference to Black people period that is now disallowed for white people.

So I guess we just have to ignore Black people entirely and pretend like they aren't there from now on.

SERIOUSLY NOW

You realize there are White People behind PC right? That the law that scares us into walking on eggshells is controled mainly and fostered by white people...

Anyone care to guess what the Real reason for a huge behind the scenes push from white people with money for Obama really is?

Why one day the govt just turned around and said hey let them have whatever they want, let it get as lopsided as the liberals would let it go?

There are Racist people who... aren't neccessarily stupid on other levels

and ... this is all about Racism not supporting African Americans

and... it's really about creating an inevitable backlash

and... Obamas the guy they are using as the scapegoat for Huge problems on the horizon

and... after 16 years since PC started now, 16 years of loose immigration, 16 years of being told how to talk, 16 years of one sided policies where White people in coversation have been defering to Black people and 16 years of Rap dominating our kids culture

and... 8 years of a war on terror

and... a man named Barack Hussein Obama presides over the White House

and ... tons of White people go out of work and the economy colapses and there is nothing barack can do to stop it... but he's in charge

and... he pulls us out of conflict and befriends 3rd world leaders in the name of peace

and... then the False flag goes down

What do you think happens in America then? What are they counting on the reaction being?

In a nation where people of African American Decent are out numbered 7 to 1 by Whites and Hispanics...

After they all voted for him... and he's up on stage kissing the Ayatollahs ass... and pouring more benefits out to a minority

and then the Bomb drops... literally?

If your really Not a racisit, support things being fair, live your caucasian culture... don't allow this to happen, don't let them set up Obama by voting for him, don't jock "street culture" don't be any less tough on them than anyone else... don't let people slide who in the end dimish African culture or emulate anything unless it truely deserves emulating, don't kiss their arses as your told to...and build up a resentment, don't put them on a pedastil...

And...Definitely, don't let them teach a one sided agenda in school that paints young white males into an inferiority complex

Because it's Intended to one day result in a major backlash

Because Obama is being set up and set up Bad and Black Americans are walking straight into electing a guy who... has alot of dirty laundry and some real racism in his past

and he's being set up for serious fall and sympathetic White people are helping this happen

Black Americans are falling for this plot, feeling good about themselves being cocky, not seeing the reality of whats about to happen, have egos like anyone else alive and...

If you actually care about them

Don't vote in Obama

Because he is going to go in with his agenda of peace and liberalities and he will have alot of promises to keep to Black groups and he will try and keep those promises in an economy that is going to be devestating and white people are going to suffer... not from his ideals or policies but just from what is about to happen economically... and he is going to be seen, making peace with leaders most of us kind of hate... and it's the Right thing to do and I know this guy is a GOOD PERSON and MEANS WELL and Believes he can fix the unfixable

The the "Event" will happen and he will be the Fall guy and so will Black Americans everywhere

and a few superstars and one president, doesn't mean the Latinos haven't been ethnically clensing the Black gangs in the inner cities or that law enforcement hasn't been locking away all the more hardcore Black Males this whole time

and when the sh hits the fan they are being left defenseless...

and the military ( army in particular ) is about to be gutted in another moronic fight and they will be sent in first... everyone else is engaged and there may well be a draft

and...

look, just open your eyes, Obama and Black Americans in general are being set up Badly

They are going to generate a backlash it's obvious what is going to happen to the next President

Why do you think that pastiest, palest, most unhip white guy ever got the nomination anyway? And LOL the Power elite has the back of an ex Black Activist? because they share his vision and his goals?

Don't be Naive... there are people out there that understand history and psycholgy on levels hard to explain...

They know what is coming

and the First Black President will be in charge for a reason! and it's an sick reason.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Star for that my friend. I agree wholeheartedly that this is likely all going to backfire in a bad way.

And believe me when I say that I despise political correctness, I think it limits real open and honest dialogue and keep people walking on egg shells.

But you have to admit, what Carter said definitely tread heavily on the borders of good taste and at worst could have been construed as extremely offensive.

Certain words and names that one would call people need to be viewed differently than others due to the serious connotations and hurtful sting that they carry.

Certain inflammatory words should be used at ones own peril. You dont call a black man an N word or a "boy" just the same as you dont call a woman the "C word" without expecting to have to deal with some very angry and seriously pissed off women.

AGAIN - not saying Carter was calling Obama a "boy" in present day, his present and past tense was misunderstood. But I personally wouldnt use the word boy to refer to a black man on any level. It may not sound that racist to some, but that is the name that Jim Crowe racists used to address black men for decades and it is derogatory in every sense.

And I know all of you liberals wont admit it, but attach that same quote in the same context to anyone not affiliated with the democratic party and you would never hear the end of it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
I know it's prolly just me, but when he says "this ..... black ..... boy", it almost seems as if he is not in control of himself.

hah! You assume anyone is ever in control of themself.

I recommend you read What is Man by Mark Twain

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Obama was a little black boy who grew up to have a chance of being president of the USA. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Carter's statement in the context of his answer. Fortunately the "Liberal Media" is mature enough to see the non issue. The discussion taking place here shows that Conservatives are really mentally challenged, at least in areas concerning race.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
What was said wasn't in any way shape or form going to be misconstrued as being derogatory, except by a total idiot. We are so divided by such stupid issues.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It really has run amok hasn't it. BH did you color your dogs eyes in the computer or is that the real color of your beautiful dogs eyes?

He purposefully paused between the words to make sure it was not out together.

This "black" "boy" instead of this "black boy". He probably wishes he had said child, but what the heck.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Well thought out scenario! I have been trying to figure out the twist in this very strange election.

Frightening scenario...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by davion

Originally posted by Dronetek
Uhhh yeah, because we don't have dozens of exmaples of the media over blowing things Republicans have said and running them out of town.

Macaca anyone?

The fact is, you guys on the left and your propaganda media have always had one standard for us and another for yourselves.

Yeah kinda like how someone like Nixon is ripped apart for something small like bugging an office, but then when this administration lies about justification for a war, or enables the Patriot Act, or outs a CIA operative, you never hear anything about it and it's swept under the rug by the media.

If the media was truly liberal this administration would have been bent over and raped long ago for all the blunders and mistakes it has made, just like Nixon. So I just have to laugh when accusations are made that this media is at all liberal.

I really dont see any conservative slant in the media at all other than Faux news, and people already know what to expect from them.

I would assert that if any bias is evident it is in favor of the liberal view point in most instances. Obama is on just about every channel on a daily basis. MSNBC is liberal, NBC is liberal, CNN is very liberal, CSPAN is typically liberal.

This coming from an unbiased person such as myself being that I am a Libertarian and dislike each of the two big parties equally.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Funny how people who only have one black parent is called 'Black' when its as plain as day that this person also has one white parent.

In some cases if even the person has one half/black-white dad and one white mother, the kid is still called 'Black'

Speaks volumes of just how lame society really is.

No wonder the aliens wouldn't touch us with a 10 foot pole.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Funny how people who only have one black parent is called 'Black' when its as plain as day that this person also has one white parent.

I've always assumed it was because the black gene is so strong, giving the offspring more black characteristics than white.

What would you rather people use ......half-breed? Like that would go over nicely.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
eh, let it go, he's like 89,000 years old..moving on...

[edit on 28-8-2008 by dragonseeker]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The fact this is news is really sad. I thought as a nation we were trying to move away from this sort of thing. In order to erase racism, we need to stop making these types of instances issues, its what drives people like Sharpton to continue to fuel the racist sentiment that makes it even worse, because then more people are talking about it and watching what they say to avoid being labeled.

Granted, as a white male, if I called a black male "boy" that would be an insult, however, if you called me that, watch out as well. It boils down to respect in that manner.

Racism still exists in America, it always has and always will. Its sad, but it is a fact. Some ignorant people seem to think they are better than someone who looks differently than them. I dont understand these people, but they are out there. All we can do is point out real racism when it rears its ugly head and stomp it out, to get into fits over the smallest errors is only making the problem worse.

On a side note, why was Carter even speaking during the election? He isnt the most popular guy in the world, would have thought BHO would have given him a gag order?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
I know it's prolly just me, but when he says "this ..... black ..... boy", it almost seems as if he is not in control of himself.

I think he was in control, he was just picking his wording carefully. Remember Carter is what? in his 80's. So Obama would be a black boy to him, black man would have been better... but I think it is safe to say with Carter's reputation that he didn't mean anything bad by it. IMO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join