It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy over ex president Jimmy Carter in video calling Obama "black boy"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Holy smokes!!

Talk about a poor choice of wording!!

I wasnt sure if anyone else had seen this yet. How much of a fire storm would this have caused if it had been spoken by a conservative? The media would be crucifying someone right about now for sure.

Jimmy Carter is an old time Dixie Democrat, but personally I dont think he meant to say this the way it came out and I dont think he is racist. But wow!! What a terrible choice of wording.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I know it's prolly just me, but when he says "this ..... black ..... boy", it almost seems as if he is not in control of himself.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I've heard about it. Horrible choice of words, no question about it, but I don't think he had any ill intent.

But you're right, if this had been a Republican, the media would have burned him at the stake, regardless of the intent.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
People give too much power to words. It's the intent that truly matters. And for him to say "black boy" he meant someone that has faced many challenges due to racism. He was a child... a boy... that grew up in a society that was harder for him due to racial prejudices.

Carter meant nothing negative toward Obama... and for people to see it that way... or to be scared that he might have meant it that way... is just silly and sad.

Take the intention of the statement for what it is... and don't assign it some meaning out of fear or hatred or prejudice.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xylophobia

I agree that it is all about the context of which wording is used.

That being said, it is a serious gaffe on Carters part to use such an offensive term when describing Obama.

You just don't use the term "black boy" in ANY context, especially when describing a grown black man who may be the next president of the United States. It is very poor taste to use that term in any context as the term "boy" to most African Americans is a painful sting and a reminder of past decades of segregation and racism.

Just a bad idea all around.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
He was referring to his childhood... and not saying he is now a boy. He was talking about the conditions in which he grew up... when he was a child... a male child... omg... a boy.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It is obvious that Carter was referring to Obama's childhood. There's nothing wrong with what he said.

Now, if one were to take this remark completely out of context, I can see were it could be construed as something less than prudent. However, after watching this clip it is apparent that Carter was talking about Obama's upbringing and not insulting him in a racist manner.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
well, obama is black right?

since when telling the truth is bad?

Americans think if a white man says the word black they are being racist.

I DO NOT COMPUTE

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CzErased

If you cant figure out why the term "boy" is considered offensive by most black Americans then you obviously have never read a history book and most likely do not know any black Americans.

I realize that what Carter said when viewed in the proper context is probably not such an awful thing, but the sheer fact that he even used that term for Obama is a serious lapse in judgement.

And as I said, if this had been Bush. Sr. or Bob Dole who uttered that phrase it would be posted on every liberal news source in the country.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
"This black boy who grew up with a loving mother..."

Do people just zero in on the "black boy" aspect of what he said and not read into what he is actually saying? I guess so. He's just talking about his childhood.

I mean, I am all for being somewhat "politically correct" and respecting people, but this is just jumping at shadows.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If there's a controversy, it's because of political correctness run amok. Carter was talking about Obama as a child. He WAS a boy and black.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Since this is a democrat its all about context and nuance. If a Republican had said it, than it was white oppressive racism and he should be shunned from society.

I mean, look at what Biden has apparently gotten away with!

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Since this is a democrat its all about context and nuance. If a Republican had said it, than it was white oppressive racism and he should be shunned from society.

If a Republican had said it they wouldn't have shown the footage, it'd be in some buried news article the next day, and then the Republicans would whine about how the media is soooo liberal.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by davion]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by davion

If a Republican had said it they wouldn't have shown the footage, it'd be in some buried news article the next day, and then the Republicans would whine about how the media is soooo liberal.

Are you kidding me??? The media does have a liberal bias and if a Republican had said it, especially a white Republican the Democrats would be all over the news screaming "racism! racism!" You would probably be hearing from Al Sharpton as well.

I have to agree with Dronetek on this one. While it's sickening how poltical correctness has run amuk in this country, it's even more sickening how the double standard is used.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by sos37]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, People, If it was Don Imus, He would be hanging out to dry right now. I am sick and tired of political correctness.

At least he didnt call Obama a "nappy Headed Hoe"

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Of course during a campaign year the opposing political powers will use any sound bit for disinformation.

It was unfortunate word usage. Having said that I've also read classified documents where the CIA had withheld information to President Carter based upon his college degree during his presidency. Seems they didn't want him to know information on developing weapons.

The CIA will always discredit him in the media.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Skydancer]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by davion

Uhhh yeah, because we don't have dozens of exmaples of the media over blowing things Republicans have said and running them out of town.

Macaca anyone?

The fact is, you guys on the left and your propaganda media have always had one standard for us and another for yourselves.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

I forgot about that little gem from George Allen.

He was primed and ready to run for president under the Republican ticket and as soon as that Macaca business hit the media it was bye bye to that idea.

And to me "macaca" isnt anywhere as offensive as "boy". I have to agree that if this had been said by Limbaugh or anyone affiliated with the Republican party they would have Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton picketing in their driveway by morning.

Double standards and political correctness should not go hand in hand.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

What race are you?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Im human.

Thanks for asking

Edit: actually I am a "caucasian American" male......not sure where you are going with this but I figured I would at least answer honestly.

[edit on 8/28/08 by BlackOps719]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join