It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rove asks Lieberman to withdraw from VP running

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Jonathan Martin

Jonathan Martin
Wed Aug 27, 11:29 PM ET

Republican strategist Karl Rove called Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) late last week and urged him to contact John McCain to withdraw his name from vice presidential consideration, according to three sources familiar with the conversation.

Lieberman dismissed the request, these sources agreed.

Lieberman “laughed at the suggestion and certainly did not call [McCain] on it,” said one source familiar with the details.

“Rove called Lieberman,” recounted a second source. “Lieberman told him he would not make that call.”

Rove did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Rove, President Bush’s former top campaign adviser and arguably the most prominent political operative of the past generation, has no formal role in McCain’s campaign. But he knows much of the Arizona senator’s high command and has been offering informal advice, both over the phone and in his position as a Fox News analyst, since McCain wrapped up the GOP nomination.

His decision to wade into the vice presidential selection process could provide Democrats fresh ammunition to tie McCain to the polarizing Bush.

It is also chafing some Lieberman allies and others wary of the selection of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“Rove is pushing Romney so aggressively some folks are beginning to wonder what's going on,” grumbled one veteran Republican strategist.

From his perch on Fox, Rove has touted McCain’s fierce primary rival as strong vice presidential material.

“Romney is already vetted by the media, has strong executive experience both in business and in government, has an interesting story to tell with saving the U.S. Olympics, and also helps McCain deal with the economy, because he can speak to the economy with a fluency that McCain doesn’t have,” Rove said on “Fox News Sunday” in June.

The sources spoke about Rove’s involvement after Robert Novak, writing his first column since being diagnosed with brain cancer, reported Wednesday that McCain and some of his close associates would like to tap Lieberman for the number two slot but that putting an abortion-rights-supporting former Democrat on the Republican ticket was likely to be unrealistic.

Link to story

I would have to agree with Karl Rove on the point that I also think Joseph Lieberman would be a terrible pick to run next to Mccain in the VP slot.

Lieberman is a polarizing figure to most Republicans, he is known as the liberal Democrat who ran next to John Kerry in the last election. He is pro choice, which is bound to upset many old school conservatives and likely to offend the religious right considerably. At a time when Mccain should be appealing to his strongest target audience a choice for Lieberman would really put him behind the eight ball amongst his constituency base.

What exactly would Lieberman offer to the race that would actually help John Mccain win votes? He doesnt have enough drawing power with Democrats to pull swing voters away from Obama, he has no appeal to moderate Republicans who are looking for reasons to support Mccain.

Lieberman has a good amount of experience in government but as far as his leadership skills or his understanding of the economy Im just not sure. Mccain needs to find a running mate that can help unify the party. He desperately needs a running mate who can add credibility to his campaign in regard to the economy, which is the #1 most important topic listed by potential voters.

I really don't see very many good aspects to John Mccain naming Lieberman as his VP, but the selection would certainly anger his most loyal supporters. My question, what is Mccain even thinking here? Why would he even consider such a controversial and dangerous move when there are guys like Romney available who would add great credibility to his campaign and more importantly be welcomed by most conservatives.

Is Mccain letting friendship get the better of him, or does he actually have a reason for considering Lieberman so heavily? I think it would be a terrible move on his part, and evidently so does Karl Rove.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Lieberman would also get destroyed by Joe Biden in any vice presidential debate as well. Here is a video of him getting owned by Chuck Hagel on national television.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think this may just be a case of the McCain campaign messing with the media and trying to stir up a little controversy over what amounts to nothing (so far) in order to keep them in the news this week. At least, I hope that's what he's doing.

I don't dislike Lieberman, but I think he'd be an awful choice for McCain. He would completely alienate conservatives on everything but foreign affairs and his dull personality wouldn't draw in many moderates and undecideds. There's really no upside that I see to that pick.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Honestly I don't believe the American public has had a say in who our next president will be since Truman was put in office as a replacement.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Interesting. The fact that Rove is sticking his pudgy fingers into this speaks volumes. Wasn't he supposed to be in contempt? Anyway, if McCain does choose Lieberman, it would show that he made his own decision and isn't a puppet of the party. So... I doubt Lieberman will be the guy.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I agree B.H., I think Mccain could do worse than Lieberman. But he has to know that to select a liberal as a running mate would anger his entire party and would cause a lot of hard line Republicans to jump ship.

I dont see the up side really, and I am baffled that Mccain would even consider such a move.

My guess is he will select Mitt Romney or possibly Polenti (sp?) but he may suprise us all. How do you think the female Senator from Texas would hold up? It would definitely force the Hillary crowd to sit up and take notice.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Its plain to a group of old middle aged Texan women that our government isn't ready for a woman to take office as vice president or president.

Its my contention that most of the TEXAN men would rather have a silent submissive wife than a mother welding an iron skillet.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Skydancer]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I saw an internet ad about Elizabeth Dole yesterday so I wondered if that was going to be the pick. Having her next in line to be president doesn't sit well with me. I have wondered about Olympia Snowe from Maine. She's got tons of experience but voted for Bushs' wishes for the most part. They only time she and her fellow senator Susan Collins vote outside party lines seems to be when the vote is far from crucial.

McCain should pick a libertarian leaning Republican if he is to have any hope of reaching the White House. Then again the GOP scare monger machine is bound to wind up with some controversy about 3 weeks before the election.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Skydancer

Well thank god that the entire country isnt as "progressive" as Texas I guess

Elizabeth Dole wouldnt be a bad selection, she is definitely a beloved figure here in N.C. and she strikes me as an intelligent and capable politician.

Lieberman is just a polarizing figure. The democrats hate him because he has sold out and the Republicans hate him because of his past as well as a lot of his policies.

If I were John Mccain I wouldnt even want to open up that can of worms. There are better options available. Friendship can ruin careers if you allow it to.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Elizabeth Dole would be an interesting pick along the same lines as Hutchison. Neither would likely do any real damage to the ticket and would probably strengthen it. The biggest drawback to Elizabeth Dole is the name, and of course, being the wife of election-loser Bob Dole.

Olympia Snowe? Probably a bad idea. She's too much at odds with the Republican base on many social issues, abortion being the big one (and incidentally, the GOP convention platform adopted this week supposedly contains some of the strongest anti-abortion wording ever). She is popular in her state, but has a reputation in conservative circles as a first rate RINO.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

My guess is he will select Mitt Romney or possibly Polenti (sp?) but he may suprise us all. How do you think the female Senator from Texas would hold up? It would definitely force the Hillary crowd to sit up and take notice.

Selecting Lieberman would indeed anger the party. Lieberman is a trusted friend of McCain. They've been friends for decades. But unless McCain discounts what's good for the party completely, he'll pick someone else. Lieberman is not young and doesn't come across as filling in where McCain is weak. It would be a completely selfish pick, on McCain's part and probably cause him to lose the election.

I don't see an upside, either. (Of course, for ME, as an Obama supporter, there's a HUGE upside, but we're talking about McCain's campaign.)

I agree with you, it's going to be Romney or Pawlenty. Or it could be Tom Ridge. BUt at this time, I'm thinking Pawlenty because of his age and "nice guy" thing he has going.

I doubt picking a female would have any effect on Hillary supporters. They love Hillary for who she is, not because of her gender.

Kay Bailey Hutchison is a pretty "good" Republican. She's anti-abortion, anti-affirmative action, anti-gay rights, opposes getting out of Iraq, government funding for health care and alternative fuels. She favors prayer in schools and the death penalty and the Patriot Act...

I think she would probably do fine. And she just might be selected to show that the Republican party can be "progressive", too! But I doubt it. Not many people know her.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'd like to hear some names of distinguished and honorable Constitutional Republicans and then I would like to see McCain pick one of them. I think Lieberman and Rove are both kind of bottom of the barrel politicians. They make me kind of sick.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Another problem with Lieberman is he is all for the continuation of the war in Iraq and he is a strong supporter of invading Iran as well.

Contrary to popular opinion I believe that a lot of conservatives have had enough of this war as well. Two guys who want our troops fighting in the middle east for the next 100 years on the same ticket is a bit scary.

I just think Lieberman is a weak public speaker, and as I said before I think Joe Biden would tear him to shreds in an open debate. Mccain needs a VP who denotes confidence and as I mentioned someone with a clue as to how to repair and maintain a flailing American economy.

[edit on 8/28/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Kay Bailey Hutchison is a pretty "good" Republican. She's anti-abortion, anti-affirmative action, anti-gay rights, opposes getting out of Iraq, government funding for health care and alternative fuels. She favors prayer in schools and the death penalty and the Patriot Act...

She definitely sounds like a hard line Republican.

I believe you are right about the Hillary supporters, it would be tough at this point to convernt many of them. The Clintons seem to have done a bang up job at the DNC of convincing their supporters and the rest of the party that they are fully on board in support of Obama.

My belief is they did this only for the betterment of the party. I have serious doubts that there is much love lost between Bill Clinton and Obama. Bill seems like he still feels slighted in spite of what he has been saying to the media.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I am 100% sure Romney will be VP. I wont be surprised when announces this tomorrow. Why did Romney loose in the first place? Wasnt he prefered by the core conservatives?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by southern_Guardian

You want an honest answer?

I think it was because of the fact that he is Mormon...I think it creeped out of lot of the old school hard line conservatives. Especially the fundamental Christian types who are so valuable to the GOP considering how close the race will be.

If he was Protestant we wouldnt even be having this conversation and he would likely be running for president right now.

[edit on 8/28/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by southern_Guardian

The reason that he did not win is because of his numerous late-life changes of opinion on a variety of issues. Many conservatives simply do not believe that Romney actually has conservative values, particularly on social issues, and was only telling them what he thought they wanted to hear.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

As a Republican, how would you feel if Mccain named Joe Lieberman as his running mate?

Surely there must be some questioning as to his loyalty and willingness to serve the party considering that not very long ago he was running for the same position as a liberal Democrat.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Honestly, aside from electability, it really doesnt matter who Mccain chooses. Rove, wolfowitz, cheney etc will still be calling the shots.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I'm not a Republican, though I am a conservative.

Myself, I would have little problem with it. I actually like Lieberman. He wasn't exactly my ideal candidate, but I would've strongly considered voting for him instead of Bush in '04 had he made it through the primaries. I disagree with him on almost all domestic issues, but I know where he stands and I do believe he'd support a strong foreign policy stance, which is a plus. He's one of the few liberal politicians in this country that I trust to keep the country safe.

That said, I do think he'd make a poor choice for McCain, simply because most conservatives won't go for it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join