It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The will to Survive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hi Everyone,

Following on from one of my previous threads regarding the survival mindset and actually having the will to survive as opposed to just having the equipment, I have come accross an interesting thought.

Do you think that it could be possible that through some method or means a government would actually be able to eliminate the will to survive within a population?

I know its a pretty wild scenario to imagine, but could it be possible? An entire population without hope or the want to survive? Hundred thousands of human beings like lambs to the slaughter.

The only realistic way I think that this could be achieved would be if a government or other organisation could convince the population that it would be futile to survive through some sort of psychological manipulation.

I'm not sure why a government or organisation/military would want to eliminate the vast majority of the population, but this was just something interesting I was thinking about before.

What are your thoughts?

[edit on 28/8/08 by Death_Kron]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Its happening now. If you dont have a blackberry, an ipod, etc... is life really all that grand? You cant take care of yourself, herbs are bad, you need more toxins in your water, dont waste time growning your own food, we(the government) needs to keep you safe. I see it every day how the media, the gov tries to demean peoples lives. Seriously, is life really worth living without all of your toys and connections?

I dont know if its about forcing people to submit to the NWO eventually or if the "elites" simply want the majority of the sheep to just go off and die when TSHTF, but either way, every day we see new attacks that cheapen life and find ways to make it all seem pointless.

Good topic you raised, hope to see how others see this.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

Good reply, I think your right in saying the the government tries to demean peoples lives. Could it be possible that the goverment is actually trying to "dumb down" members of the public with all the fancy inventions/gadgets you see on the markey today?

I know for a fact that todays generation would find certain things hard, if not impossible, that our previous generations would of coped easily with. Specifically, I'm talking about aspects related to survival such as growing your own food, making your own tools, cultivating your own land etc

When looked at in that sense then you could say that major corporations/governments are killing of mans natual survival instincts, however is this being done deliberately? Well most people would obviously say no, however you get my point.

Most people in the world today (apart from ATS members
) have become complacent with survival as there is no immediate threat.

Or should I say they don't percieve any immediate threat?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
In my opinion people give way to much credit to any government. They are so busy in fighting between the separate party's that always form in all governments how can they really accomplish any thing.

People are the ones who take away there own will to survive. They get so wrapped up in the every day luxury's that they forget they are separate from there TV's

I'm sure some will surprise me. I'm sure some will surprise themselves. I am also sure more will sit and die because they are waiting for help. Those lost soles cant be blamed on any so called government. They must ware the blame squarely on there own shoulders.

My opinion any way.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I find this topic to be very interesting. If you are interested in one of the most incredible will-to-live end-of-the-world books check out "THE ROAD" by Cormac McCarthy. Possibly one of the most painful yet ultimately miraculous books written in the last 50 years imo. Not as an endorsement or anything, just to mention it won the Pulitzer Prize.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican. They are so busy in fighting between the separate party's that always form in all governments how can they really accomplish any thing...

It's exactly that..the pathetic,immature,schoolyard name-calling and backstabbing attempts of one-upmanship that leads me to believe these CAN'T really be the guys in charge.

Anytime I ever had the misfortune to catch a glimpse of an election build up or party political broadcast I was left CONVINCED it was a comedy sketch.

There's someone behind the scenes peeing themselves laughing every time we vote ..I'm sure.

If they are that clever to convince most people with these puppet governments,then I'm sure the ability to generate this reliance on the latest/greatest stupid I-phone/lap remote-whatchimijiggy is DEFINITELY in their hands.

The idiot-box plays ads non-stop selling a million different versions of the same crap..Someone's gotta be buying into it.

Mark my words..
Salaries/money/wages will soon be a thing of the past.
Instead they'll reward you with access to their GM food and their gadgets for your hours of slavery instead.

No 'mark of the beast' .. no access .. wait for the chipping to begin.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
A government is sort of like a vampire: while fearsome, it is also quite weak, and relies on human servants to help it hide its weaknesses. It also require human hosts to feed it. Fewer humans, unhappy humans, angry villagers on the rampage with torches and pitchforks, are a vampire's, or a government's worst nightmare.

A government wants more servants, not fewer. This is why few modern governments really oppose illegal immigration. The illegals are weak and vulnerable, and turn to the government as their protector. They also need welfare, free medicine, etc., that grows more government programs.

Someone made a crack that life isn't that cush without an ipod or a computer or whatever. . . .

First, what are you smoking?!?!?! That's the corporate elites, that want you to buy their crap, and get a high paying job after college, so you can pay your student loans and mortgage a house and car and a vacation somewhere "exclusive" with all the other middle class sames who consume the media version of the good life.

I don't buy into that crap. If you covet their baubles and celebrity clothes from Abercrombie and Fitch, then you matter to them.

If you ate lunch out of your own garden, like I just did, then they don't get to sell you the food, and the fuel it takes to transport it to you. If you think entertainment is listening to your kid play the piano, then you don't need an i-pod. If you spend more time reading books than surfing the net, then they can't sell you stuff with ads scrolling down the side of each page.

I could go on and on. But suffice it to say that they've convinced you that a hundred bucks at the grocery is more "convenient" that cooking your own food and spending $40. They've convinced you that America's Got Talent is more riveting than watching your daughter learn to skate. That your spouse is less desirable because he/she is not famous for something. If you think Oprah's book pick is more relevant than, say, Plato's Republic, or The Gospel of Matthew then you have to pay them in order to stay relevant.

It really is a question of values. IF you let THEM set the agenda, then they control your happiness.

The truth is, happiness is not an emotional response to having the perfect surroundings. Happiness is a sense of the fitting-ness of things. Why do people get a rush for volunteering at a filthy homeless shelter, and helping to feed some smelly homeless people? Not because those are the perfect surroundings, but because of the feeling that you're contributing to the harmony of things, "making the world a (slightly) better place." The Establishment doesn't want you to figure that out, because there's no way for them to make a profit off of your sense of harmony with the universe.

They make money by selling your medicine for your various forms of soul-sickness. They make no money when you are already healthy.

all the best.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Im the one who made the comment about an ipod or computer. First off, Im not smoking anything.
Next, you made my point. Thank you. I agree its the corporate entities selling us this crap to toss us in debt to control our lives. Consume, consume and then some more. As agent t mentioned, money will soon be a thing of the past, I would agree with that. Its going to turn into a system of work for "things".

"Brave New World" by Huxley. People worked for their credits and daily Soma. Isnt that where we are headed?

So back to the OP, yes I still agree that the government, corporate America, NWO, whoever is making us more and more dependant on them and devaluing our lifes and therefore our will to live. "They" try to control everything to make our so called lives easier, and people buy into this. When it comes time for people to go it alone, they simply wont have the mental or physical tools to do it, and will simply give up. That will result either in death or servitude to a greater power.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

It's a sad world we live in to be honest, thats why I would rather rely on myself than the state. I feel happy and comfortable knowing that if disaster did strike at least I would have an above average chance of looking after myself.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
There are three ways to rid a population of the will to survive.

1) Complacency - The Declaration of Independence says it best:

all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A content population is a population that will allow the powers that be to continue with their plans. It is difficult to question a status quo when that status quo brings happiness (or at least the illusion of it). Thusly, the way to keep a people at ease and unconcerned about survival in future circumstances is to keep them unconcerned about those circumstances. After all, why fight a war with a non-existent enemy?

2) Control - As people tend to have less and less control over their own lives, they will tend (as a matter of human nature) to concentrate on the things they can control rather than rise up over things they cannot control. We see this in operation today clearly. Governmental spending is out of control, a fact that the vast majority of Americans agree with. Yet, this spending is out of the control of the average person. therefore, most do not concern themselves with a serious problem simply because they believe they have no control over it.

Obviously, this works best in conjunction with Complacency. As more and more is beyond the control of the populace, that populace will, when complacent, turn to those things which they can control: leisure or recreational activities, technological pleasures, even such mundane activities as shopping or sports. They may turn to certain minor causes which mean nothing in the larger picture, simply because they have a sense of control over the minor issues. By the time the populace realizes that things have become unbearable, they have effectively given up so much control that they are truly powerless to help themselves.

3) Chemical - Of course, there are a myriad of chemicals that will affect the mental outlook of individuals. Anything that placates or enslaves an individual through addiction is a definite barrier to self-sufficiency. The effect does not have to be acute; a slight chemical influence over time will suffice to enslave a population to the introduced chemical, or is sufficient to produce a general feeling of complacency. Fluoride is a good example of this type of dependence, with known results including a loss of mental acuity in larger amounts.

Taken together, these three methods of control have the combined effect of rendering the individual helpless to resist oppression, and helpless to survive without governmental intervention on their behalf. It is an extremely effective method of entrapment, one that was clearly shown on the TV show Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The Jem'Hadar were a warrior slave race, kept in check by their creators using a substance known simply as 'White', a drug required daily to prevent automatic excruciating death. That was a TV show, yes, but the moral is true: people can be effectively controlled by denial of those things considered necessary for life.

Today, we have all three control methods working simultaneously: complacency is encouraged by a corporate structure which produces new 'toys' regularly for the consumption of the masses. Control is then utilized by keeping wages at a level to make purchase of these toys unavailable to those who do not work long hours (preventing them from engaging in any activity that would produce independence). And finally, chemicals added to our water, our food, even our air, all in the name of safety and security, keep any remaining rebellious tendencies at bay.

So who would want to survive hard times, when all they have been used to is air-conditioned comfort and ready food and drink, combined with the latest large-screen hi-def plasma TV and a just-released Playstation N? The very thought of providing for themselves becomes foreign, alien even, and is intimidating to say the least. So they feel helpless and unempowered to take their own survival seriously, preferring to simply lay down and die.

It's sad to see. but it's also prevalent in our present society.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Great post and so right.

Hell I see people who can't go a day without beer or ciggies.

Everyone likes the little pleasures in life when they can get them,it's just sad when life revolves around aquiring them.
Just how many people could be controlled by threat of lack of cigs alone?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

I totally agree with all you say.

I feel, now I have switched off my TV for over a year now (with the odd BBC program thrown in without adverts), that my eyes have opened. However, I am not immune yet to baubles, gadgets and other useless stuff, but the need to get out of the city is growing stronger.

I need to have a garden to grow my own stuff and shoot the odd rabbit. Me, a born and bred urbanite. It is a regular topic in my house and I think that we might make the move within the next few years. If I can get my act together...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Just how many people could be controlled by threat of lack of cigs alone?

Oh, great Agent_T, point out my flaws...

At least I am taking steps to create my own smokes... and yes, you are right. It's all a means of control.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Do you think that it could be possible that through some method or means a government would actually be able to eliminate the will to survive within a population?

Would anyone even wonder what was HAPPENING?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Anything and everything is vigilance of the state of Ones mind.
If one sees no value in all the fancy trinkets and toys around them then one will
not invest there time and space in them.
Hence if you understand that it is only the state of your mind and not your seeming bodily urges that make you do things. Then one can stay focused in life and not be affected by whatever latest gadget, Government ploy, Chemical or poison or fad that is out there. As you will have divested your belief in its value system to your oneself.

The answer in life is simply in changing your mind about your mind, it is never about changing your behavior first, as that is simply the effect of your mind.

top topics

join