It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary McKinnon loses extradition appeal to the European Court of Human Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
BBC News

A Briton accused of hacking into secret military computers has lost his appeal against extradition to the US. Glasgow-born Gary McKinnon was said to be "distraught" after losing the appeal to the European Court of Human Rights. He faces extradition within two weeks. The unemployed man could face life in jail if convicted of accessing 97 US military and Nasa computers. The 42-year-old admitted breaking into the computers from his London home but said he sought information on UFOs. Mr McKinnon asked the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg to delay his extradition pending a full appeal to the court against his extradition but his application was refused. He claimed the extradition would breach his human rights.

BBC News

[edit on 28-8-2008 by -Klaus-]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I think this is a shame and I was hoping the European court would have some sense to stand up to the U.S. government and prevent the extradition. This is twice now the U.S. has used its unfair deal with the U.K. to punish British Citizens under stricter laws in the U.S. than the U.K.

If he was to stay in Britain he would have been punished under the Data Protection Act and would have most likely received a sentence of 5 years about appropriate for his crime.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Just to let you know, there has been other topics started regarding this.

Gary Mckinnon loses appeal

ATS Thread

Plus a few others I can't seem to find off hand.

Hope it helps.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is a different appeal I'm discussing, he originally tried to appeal to the House of Lords in the UK and lost, then he took it to the European Court of Human Rights and this is the result of that.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by -Klaus-

Yes. I know what it says. There is a thread that talks about that ( Posted here : ATS Post ) It mentions an appeal to the Europeans Court of Human Rights.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join