Swedish sea monster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I am not sure what to make of this. It looks like a silver blob. The news article only has one picture of it. But there is suppose to be a video of it. I guess once the video is available it will be easier to tell what it looks like.

A group of filmmakers claim to have successfully captured Sweden’s legendary Great Lake Sea Monster (Storsjöodjuret), which is said to lurk in the waters of the Storsjön outside Östersund in northern Sweden.
A film crew which set up cameras on one of the lake’s islets last spring now say that they have an image of the seamonster, according to Svergies Television.

The film clip shows a blurry, long and narrow silhouette moving in the lake’s depths.

“It clearly shows that it’s warm and is made up of cells, otherwise our cameras wouldn’t indicate red, so it can be a sea snake or some other kind of sea animal,” said a female member of the film crew to Sveriges Television news in Jämtland.

The effort to find the monster has generated a great deal of interest, with the American television network NBC planning to document the hunt.

Next summer, the number of special cameras placed in the lake will increase to thirty.

This isn’t the first time that crews have hunted for the Great Lake Sea Monster.

Back in 1894, a Swedish sea captain named Dedering created a stock company with the express purpose of catching the renowned beast.

The hunt, which was also sponsored in part by King Oscar II, even featured whale harpooners.

In 1986, Jämtland’s county administrative board banned anyone from “killing, injuring, or trapping a live animal such as the Great Lake Sea Monster” or from “removing or injuring the Great Lake Sea Monster’s eggs, roe, or dwelling”.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

story

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Video of it - In Swedish though.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akezzon
Video of it - In Swedish though.

Excellent!
Now what the heck is that? Its like a giant white leach.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Ribbonfishes)
Jump to: navigation, search
Ribbonfish

Scalloped ribbonfish, Zu cristatus
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Actinopterygii

Order: Lampriformes

Family: Trachipteridae

Genera
See text for genera and species.

The ribbonfish are a family, Trachipteridae, of marine fish. These pelagic fish are named for their slim, ribbon-like appearance. They are rarely seen alive as they typically live in deep waters (though are not bottom feeders).

They are readily recognized by their anatomy: a long, compressed, tape-like body, short head, narrow mouth and feeble teeth. A high dorsal fin occupies the whole length of the back; an anal fin is absent, and the caudal fin, if present, consists of two fascicles of rays of which the upper is prolonged and directed upwards. The pectoral fins are small, the pelvic fins composed of several rays, or of one long ray only. Ribbon fish possess all the characteristics of fish living at very great depths. Their fins especially, and the membrane connecting them, are of a very delicate and brittle structure. In young ribbonfish some of the fin-rays are prolonged in an extraordinary degree, and sometimes provided with appendages.

Specimens have been taken in the Atlantic, the Mediterranean, at Mauritius and in the Pacific. The species from the Atlantic has occurred chiefly on the northern coasts, Iceland, Scandinavia, Orkneys and Scotland. The north Atlantic species known in English the dealfish; its Icelandic name is "vagmaer". Its length is 5 to 8 feet (1.5–2.5 m). Specimens seem usually to be driven to the shore by gales in winter, and are sometimes left by the tide. S. Nilsson, however, in Scandinavia observed a living specimen in two or three fathoms (4–5 m) of water moving something like a flatfish with one side turned obliquely upwards. A specimen of Trachipterus ishikawae was discovered on a beach in Kenting, Taiwan in November 2007, alive but with a 10-cm cut wound to its side, and was returned to deeper water.

Trachipterus ishikawae are commonly called "earthquake fish" in Taiwan, and are popularly believed to appear following major earthquake events due to sensitivity to disturbances in the ocean floor. There are records of such appearances following a 100-year earthquake in Hengchun in late 2006 and in Taidong in 2007, but other recorded sightings do not correspond with seismic disturbances.

Just my opinion

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Great post, its difficult to tell the size though, does anyone speak swedish and know what they are saying?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles

I understand Swedish pretty well. There's not a lot of groundbreaking info but basically they're saying that they have mounted 6 cameras that they are monitoring from their tracking station. The rectangles on the video indicate warmth as the op said, and the lady says that they indicate the presence of cells as well. The lady also says that she's convinced that it's not plankton ("planktbit"?) by the patterns of motion.
The second video with the blue rectangle is supposedly the back fin of the creature. Again the rectangle represents heat.
NbC is doing a report this fall and next summer they will go from 6 to 30 cameras. (The cameras are mounted on the tripods with flags.)
The guy is fairly confident that they will get some good footage and believes that similar methods could be used to film other elusive aquatic creatures such as the Loch Ness monster.

Personally I don't really know what to make of it... the biggest question is what sort of scale are we talking about... the first footage reminds me of a sperm cell under a microscope but I'm assuming that it's bigger than that...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
A little history.

It starts back in 1635.

A parish priest by the name of Mogens Pedersen from Herdal wrote down the story. It tells of two trolls who were boiling water in a kettle beside the lake. After a long time, there came groans and wails from the kettle and finally a large explosion. An amazing creature with a black body of a snake and the head of a cat jumped out of the kettle and disappeared into the depths of the lake. The legend continues that the creature thrived in the lake, grew tremendously and could change its shape in front of anyone who looked at it. At last it stretched itself around the lake and was so long that it could bite itself on the tail.
source

There is a stone on shores of the lake with a picture of the lake monster. A spell was cast on this stone to bound the animal in the lake. Stone can be seen here.

What it is suppose to look like is very conflicting. From long and skinny to short and chubby. It can also be scaly to slimy. The colors can vary as well.

Explanations have ranged from moose swimming in line (not otters this time), gas bubbles, and even a escaped porpoise.

There is suppose to be a embryo preserved in a musem near the lake. Just like Champ in the US, this creature is protected by Swedish law.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I just pit my coffee all over my screen, wow that's an awesome story.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Just your opinion? you just copied an artikle from wiki...

My opinion is that there is more between heaven and earth thenwe know of. If this is one of these fenomenal, I don't know, but if it exists it will be found soon i think..

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

"Plankebit" Is just a piece of wood. I dont even know why it can be related to that after the video the reporter just saw.. hmmm

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
There is a stone on shores of the lake with a picture of the lake monster. A spell was cast on this stone to bound the animal in the lake. Stone can be seen here.

has this stone be placed just for that purpose or has the spell been cast later ?
I must tell you that the inscriptions on that stone (and the runestone itself) are very similar to all other runestones found across Sweden and jormundgand is represented on them almost systematicaly (over 2000 ) , wherever the runestones were erected (usually for commemoration purpose).
Over the years people probably linked the runestone imagery to the sightings, not knowing what the runestone said, and came up with the spell version.
If i have some time over the week end i'll shake my rusty rune reading and give a go at "translating" the inscription to latin script, which will still need to be looked at by someone who has a better knowledge of norse or proto-norse than me .

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Great find Testrat

First good pc of video in a while that can be easily debunked.

My big question is why not comment on the estimated size of the creature?

That would be an obvious point when relaying information about any creature, especially something that may be cryptic by nature.

I am not sure if I understand their 'camera technique' completely. They are saying they used six cameras on tripods??? And they feel this 'technique' may help in the filming of Nessie???

I have seen many documentaries on Nessie and the like, they all seemed to have ample cameras running for long periods of time.. with nothing to show.

Unless I misunderstood what they were saying, it doesn't really seem like all that of 'technique' IMO.

Still, an awesome find.

PS.

If noted as unidentifiable, I too, will go with the Sperm cell explanation

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
First of all, plankbit = piece of wood.
No real information in the video.. They're gonna get more cameras, that's basically it.

For the speculations as to what it can be, remember that "Storsjön" is an inland lake, not salt water.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Here is another alleged picture. This one was taken a while back. Really not a spectacular picture. But at least it adds to the mystery.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Woah, that does actually look like those long-necked dinosaurs. The Loch Ness monster is supposedly also one of those. Kinda forgot their official names;D

Wig

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Looks like a plastic bag to me. Also assuming it is a life form, does not look very strong, or menacing, so why not capture it?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Here is a link someone gave to me on a swedish lake monster

www.storsjoodjuret.nu...

(there is a button in the top right for english)
I haven't seen this website posted here but i assume it's the same thing =)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
This looks very similar to a video I just saw on Para-tube.
Snake like creature seen off the florida coast

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I live there and i can honestly say that i don't believe in this sea monster. And the people i know of who says they have seen this creature are all weird people often older women.

And second it's a cold lake so what kind of big creature could live there?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join