It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's so bad about TV?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'm just curious. Why is it that in so many youtube videos relating to conspiracy theories they'll have something saying that "oh and TV dumbs people down" in it? I think TV does the opposite. TV doesn't make us stupid. I think if we are stupid we are all that's to blame for the problem.

You don't believe me? Try going for 12 days without television. When I went on my summer vacation for 12 days I was unable to watch TV and I felt the effects of it. While we should not rely on TV for our only source of news and entertainment and while there are people that are out to get people to buy into their agenda on TV I don't think we can live without it.

I just don't see why TV is under so much criticism from everyone. Perhaps the people that dislike TV here so much should try going to a place without it for a long time and then come back here and tell us what their experience they learned from being without television... how they've been enlightened... and what-not.

I don't think TV is the cause for the dumbing down of many American citizens. It has to do with politics and the party in charge. The Republicans are at fault for the dumbing down of many American citizens. I bet it will all change if we have another party in power.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I would have to disagree to an extent. There have been times when I have learned something by watching a show on TV, but for the most part it is all mind-numbing junk. The recent reality trend for example. I doubt anyone can watch those shows and honestly say they are a better person, more enlightened, or more intelligent as a result. Personally the few times I have watched reality TV, or most of the other shows on for that matter, I spend a good portion of the night telling my husband I am losing brain cells from it.

There are many days/nights when I choose to not even have the TV on for background noise. I gladly go without watching it the majority of the time, simply because I would rather read. I've actually gone about three months without so much as turning it on and didn't really miss it at all. You'd be amazed how much you can get done when you aren't trying to watch TV.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I like reading a lot... but... I still like keeping around my television set for sports programs and the news. I do like watching local news so I can know what's going on around my state... and I do like watching ESPN. I also like watching the ocassional South Park episode when I'm up late at night. I can learn a lot from reading and I agree that a lot of shows on TV are junk but I just am saying that I can't do without TV because otherwise I wouldn't get C-span... and stuff. I get my real news from the internet. But I just don't feel like television dumbs people down. If people watch dumb shows on TV it's their own fault.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
family guy...hollyoaks
....bbc news 24....usually other comedies...yes it is a propaganda unit in front of you,but when you are aware it is,it doesnt do much harm i think....

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil
family guy...hollyoaks
....bbc news 24....usually other comedies...yes it is a propaganda unit in front of you,but when you are aware it is,it doesnt do much harm i think....

That is very true, when you know about it, you can look right through the bulls*it and just see fiction.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Honestly it's hardly their fault when the majority of shows on television are a few flimsy jokes with constant laugh tracks, or "reality" that still manages to look scripted. The blame for that goes on the producers of the shows, and the channels that air them. I watch the local news in the morning, but for the most part I ignore the TV when it is on. I don't have any problems with other people watching TV, not my business anyway. It's just something I never really have gotten into.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Its viewing dependant. If I watch a lot of documetaries, or nature, or science, I'll probably get something uselfull. If I watch nothing but reality shows, I can see how I would walk away feeling "dumbed down".

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I havent watched tv in over 3 years, though we have 5 of them, so i walk past them from time to time. But i no longer use it regulary. After year 2000 CE i lost interest more and more.

1)
Doesnt look like ive missed out on alot.
Now the old music channels doesnt show music almost, just silly programs.
The new music channels only shows like 12 different songs for weeks, over and over and over.

The programs only last ca 9 minutes before 5 min of commercials starts.

There is no more nudity on TV, not even at night.

There is censorship, like bleeping "bad" "scary", "inappropriate" language or blurring of mouths and t-shirts etc.

2)
Why does the speech pattern of the news-anchors sound like a hypnotist? They repeat information again and again. They look right into the camera in your eye.

They keep news back, and gives you bit after bit out through the day, they say: well bring you updates as the news unfolds. Its many times lies, so they can keep you tuned in all day.

3)
Ever seen someone with a blank vacant look in their eyes watching tv? You are volnurable to manipulation (mental programming) at that state.

Here is a video concerning mind control in america through media www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Television, as with the Internet and Telephone, is a medium for communication. Although nowhere near as advanced and interactive as the Internet, it summons a great majority of the global consciousness making it very effective for broadcasting information. Unfortunately some who use such a powerful medium have rather weak ethical conducts, and the implications being largely negative.

Trust the expansive Human mind to circumvent this problem with an ingenious design in bringing us closer to instantaneous communication, the Internet. Even here, our base of ethics is still largely infantile, with false information abound and the potential for ignorance at a high level. Quite obviously, the internet is not for the mediocre mind, those who know how to use it are richly rewarded in their quest for knowledge.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
THIS is why TV is bad

uk.youtube.com...

It is very controlled. Your news are highly manipulated.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

It does dumb people down. I get what your saying about going twelve days without TV, but what people don't think of is you can get just as much info out of a book or newspaper. If you went twelve days without TV and instead read books for entertainment and newspapers for current events, you would most def. excel you thinking power as opposed to watching it all on television.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daniem

Why does the speech pattern of the news-anchors sound like a hypnotist? They repeat information again and again. They look right into the camera in your eye.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I totally agree with you. We had the DNC on TV last night, but no one was really watching it. It was kinda serving as background noise if nothing else. When Obama came on, the anchor said his name 3 times in a row. Come the third time, everyone in the room looked up. I started laughing.. Talk about mind control. We had absolutely no interest before the anchor pulled that out of his hat.

Great point!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

This pretty much sums up what's wrong with TV (the tube)

[edit on 29/8/08 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Assuming you aren't watching the TV for news, the TV doesn't really dumb you down, it just wastes your time. You could spend it doing something else, like learning, or working, or all kinds of other things. If there's something worthwhile on, it might be worth watching, but most of the stuff on TV is utter crap by any literary standpoint.

Much as it might seem like it, people aren't literally dumber for watching reality TV shows; they've just wasted some time. If they really enjoy it, more power to 'em. The problem is when people waste too much time on it. In America, that's a pretty big problem. Don't people here watch something like six hours per day on average? That's a fourth of the day, which, combined with work, sleep, and transit doesn't leave any time at all really for self-education or prognostication.

EDIT: forgot a comma

[edit on 29-8-2008 by mdiinican]

new topics

top topics

join