It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does a member have to be a mod to point out things?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I see when members post for example:

• There is a thread already on this
  • All Caps
  • Wrong Thread
  • Comments
  • Etc

Do members have to be mods to make suggestions? I know, I have been attacked for posting recommendations. I saw somewhere a while ago a mod, said something along the lines of members helping other members out also.

I just don't understand, why people get flamed for pointing things out?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Well of course egos can get in the way.

There's an ambiguity I'd like answered though -- what is the 'ALERT' button for?

Is it just to bring a mods attention to something, for possible action, or is it only for definite T&C violations?

I can understand the mods not wanting to be bothered by every little perceived problem, but is there a rule of thumb about when members should use it, without looking like a ninny?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

But why hit the alert button, when a member can point it out on the board? For example, if your link is screwed up or you post a blog in the breaking news section and I point to the reference for the rules of the breaking news section. What is wrong with that?

I don't like to see, me personally, a blog listed as a news source.

Edited to add, I took it as you were asking me, but it looks like you are asking staff. But, that's my thoughts above.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Well the OP mentioned getting flamed. Notice that recently, the mods themselves are 'in the box' -- when they personally comment in threads, they can't mod. That shows there's a conflict of interest, perceived or real, between a thread participant and an 'objective observer' of T&C righteousness. So, even if you're in the right, and clearly so, it might not be a good idea to bash about off-topic, personal attacks, etc., on a thread you're personally involved in. It can just muddy the waters.

Edit to note to your edit: I note you are the OP. Heh. Sorry, quick on the trigger there.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I do it. I point out ATS standards, reminders, T&C, Stay on Topic stuff all the time. I have a unique advantage by having been a Regular member, FSME, and a Mod. I know what I went through as a Mod and, having had to learn all the nuances of the site and having all the relevant links bookmarked anyway, I'm just in the same mindset as all the Mods.
As I see it, the more people I see pointing out mistakes and links to cure the problem, the more people I see who actually listen and learn and care about the integrity of the Forum they spend so much time in. With ATS being 100% User generated content, it's us, the members, that make it good or bad. Pointing out what you recognize as a bad posting habit and, more so, trying to guide the member to the appropriate solution with links is admirable.

Don't be mad.
Don't be authoritive.
Don't be mocking, use NO ridicule.
Don't patronize.

Do suggest, don't demand.
Do be polite.
Do it with Class.

And most importantly? The Alert button is the PREFFERED method Mods ask you to employ. It creates a thread that the Mods see, thus, letting THEM deal with the issue.

Cuhail

[edit on 8/28/2008 by Cuhail]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I do it all the time, I point out T&C stuff, and other reminders. Do I feel wrong about doing so? Heck no. Its our duty as members to moderate ourselves to a certain degree and the forum moderators duty to enforce those codes.

One can be tactful about such things, and that helps a lot. But it's our board, we are the ones that make up the content here, it's up to us first off to make sure that the content is good here.

As far as the alert button, I feel that this should be used for T&C violations that need to be moderated. Most people can admit when they are going overboard. But when they can't it's time to call in the mod squad to bring things back.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
when a member can point it out on the board?

Hmmm I don't get it

If your going to do the work of a Mod... why not Be a Mod?

Then at least you have the Omnipotent Power that goes with the title?

Besides the Mods here have that new tag so they can post as themselves and not as Mod... while your way your acting as mod and posting in the thread

Just nibbles for thought

[edit on 28-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
We're ALL supposed to be mods right?

I moderate my usually naughty language when I post
Moderate my txt-spk. Etc.

I think the issue come with how SOME people do it..

eg

"Hey there,just thought I'd mention there's another thread on this topic.You might find what you're looking for in there..
(adds link to thread) "

OR

"JEEZ FOR F***' SAKE... How many more threads are going to appear on this topic......
"

I know which one I'd be p--d off at.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
How can members make their greatest contributions?

Be members! Contribute to the board with the daily above average intelligence and thought provoking threads that our daily visitors have come to expect from our great community. If you run into an infraction, submit a complaint or hit an alert. Publicly correcting the member or "mini-modding" as I have come to hear it described through my experiences with online communities is not something that most people take lightly. If a staff member publicly corrects a member publicly, they typically don't like it. Which is why we do our best to handle issues privately. u2u's are the most important aspect of the staff's position here. If a member is going to have some resistance to a staff member publicly correcting them, then that resistance could possibly be much worse if it is by another member.

When I was a member, this wasn't an issue for me. Whether it was a mod or member, I was just glad to be shown the error of my way and I tried to correct it as soon as possible. But I learned a good lesson as a young boy.. not everybody is like me. So just because it's something you wouldn't mind, doesn't mean it's something that everybody can handle.

If you see a thread with all capitals, or benign infractions of our etiquette, I'd say continue on with your day. We'll handle it in due time and chat with the member about how they can improve the small things as they author and respond to threads. If it's something serious, especially if it is directed at you, ignore it and submit a complaint immediately. With the board being so active, the complaints that members submit are absolutely vital to the successful moderation of this board. Without them, our job would be an impossibility.

To conclude guys, to each their own. But if I could suggest one thing, it would be not to publicly correct members for very minor mistakes. We see them and we chat with them about it in a very constructive way. If it is a member that you are personable with, send a quick u2u. I'm all for community building. But given our demographs, we are a group that typically don't want to be told they are wrong.. especially over trivial issues over board etiquette.

Time and a place, time and a place.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the insight everyone. It just seems everyone has a different opinion on the matter. But, nonetheless, it answered some of my questions.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

If your going to do the work of a Mod... why not Be a Mod?

I would see where you was coming from if I was actively lurking the board looking for mistakes, but that's not it. When I click on a breaking news thread, I know what to expect, and when it's out of the norm, I notice it quickly.

I guess I am the type of person to pay attention to detail.

Besides the Mods here have that new tag so they can post as themselves and not as Mod... while your way your acting as mod and posting in the thread

I don't agree, if I was saying hey keep it down in here, or I am going to delete your post, that is acting like a mod. But, saying, hey, there was a thread posted earlier about this and here is a link, that's being a helpful member and not being a mod.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm having trouble with this issue also -- and particularly in Breaking Alt News. I feel like relatively few of the stories that land there have a case made for their "alternativeness", some come out of questionable (blog/op-ed) sources, many have no comments or links added by the OP; basically, it seems like a free-for-all sometimes.

What is the best way for a member to handle these situations? I assume that people post their non-news in alt news to get attention (responses, and points), so responding on the thread loses some appeal. But it's not exactly an urgent, about-to-blow-up-if-we-don't-find-a-mod situation either

Edit: in "no comments", I am including comments like "I dunno, what do you all think?" that don't contribute any meat to the story.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by americandingbat]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
Do members have to be mods to make suggestions? I know, I have been attacked for posting recommendations.

Sorry to hear you've been attacked for trying to help. It must have been a member; some folks take suggestions as "campaigning for mod-ship" Silly.

Otherwise, small issues are best handled via a friendly u2u.
Unless it's a point that most members are unaware of or unclear on. Then a public suggestion works best, imo.

new topics

top topics

join