It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC News Guy Gets Pushed Into Street and Manhandled By Cops in Denver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
www.tmz.com...

He did make a stupid move by telling the cops to "hold on," but why are they pushing him into the street like that? Why were they even telling him to move? lol

And this TMZ site acts like it's just a big joke and nothing is wrong with it.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Diplomat]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Whoops, my bad, looks like there is already a big thread about this.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I was there tonight. First, formalities.

I saw Pat Buchanan at the MSNBC booth. I gave him a shout out.

I saw "Peoples" from the film Shaft (he also stars in "W." starring the ultra-hot Josh Brolin: billboards over the city of DENVER advertising this).

ru.youtube.com...

(I remember him as the guy who stabbed himself and screaming down the street in Shaft. Today, he was much more calm, just talking on his cell phone and walking down the sidewalk.)

I also met the woman from Democracy Now!

Here's the meat of the story, somewhat out of order. I stopped and talked to these 2 guys, and I asked them if they were Secret Service because they looked the part, like G-Men of some sort or something. "They're not Secret Service" a girl called out behind us, "they don't have ear pieces!" The men were nice, and talked to me, but denied knowing anything. They looked so out of place! So the woman from Democracy Now walked up with a camera man and those 2 whoever they were, ran off like vampires. She had scared them off.

She asked me a question and I was like, "You're that woman from Democracy Now!!"

She replied "I know who I am, what do you know about Iraq Veterans against the war?"

I didn't know anything, at least not first hand, so she walked away.

What happened prior was on Speer and Auraria Parkway. Cops were ready. Cops on horses. Cops on boom-lifts. The sun was going down, there was something in the air. Someone with a blow-horn warned "take out your contact lenses...they will arrest you if you are standing in the street".

Very tense. The crowd was chanting "yes we can!" and when they were done and walked 50 yards away from the blockade to the Pepsi Center--per the police request--they chanted "yes we did!".

When it was all over, no one got arrested, no tear gas was thrown. From what I gather the vets got police permission and crossed the barrier line earlier in the day, defying everyone. It must be respect. And thank God. I could've been in that fracas.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

I hate to do this in a thread I know will probably get closed as a duplicate before I get an answer to this, but I'll give it a shot.

Someone with a blow-horn warned "take out your contact lenses...they will arrest you if you are standing in the street".

I don't understand the contact lenses part pf that comment. Is there some signifigance to it or is it code talk for something?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by pluckynoonez

I hate to do this in a thread I know will probably get closed as a duplicate before I get an answer to this, but I'll give it a shot.

Someone with a blow-horn warned "take out your contact lenses...they will arrest you if you are standing in the street".

I don't understand the contact lenses part pf that comment. Is there some signifigance to it or is it code talk for something?

Contact lenses and Pepper spray don not mix well, not wise to wear them for a protest. sorry for the one liner..

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I have heard two different opinions on contact lenses and tear gas:

People wearing contact lenses may experience increased eye irritation and damage due to chemicals being trapped under the lenses.
From Medic Wiki

So I guess the cops were just being helpful.

But then there is this:

Also reported is protection against tear gases (e.g., o-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile), which are insoluble in water, as determined in a study by Aalphen and co-workers (8). They reported that individuals wearing contact lenses and exposed to tear gas kept their eyes open more easily, recovered faster, and suffered minimal damage compared with those not wearing contacts. They concluded that the idea that soft contacts absorbed airborne chemicals during wear was not supported by their study.
From This Paper

In effect, the scientific study contradicts claims that nearly every stupid Wiki and "protester guides" type site says. Makes you start to wonder who really makes all those helpful protest guides.

*Note things may be different for pepper spray. I only searched for tear gas.

Jon

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Tear gas and pepper spray usually do contain different compounds, mainly because tear gas is intended to waft in the air while pepper spray is intended to actually contact the skin, eyes and throat/nose area.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I wouldn't have ever thought of that. Thanks for the information. Out of curiosity, is there any law that prevents the protestors from sporting gas masks?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

It probably varies from state to state but I have heard that there are laws prohibiting people from wearing any sort of mask or face covering at public gatherings. Of course, the cops in black face masks or gas masks at these events don't have to follow that law either.

New York’s current anti-mask law, enacted in 1965, states
a person is guilty of loitering when he:
being masked or in any manner disguised by unusual or unnatural attire or facial alteration, loiters, remains or congregates in a public place with other persons so masked or disguised, or knowingly permits or aids persons so masked or disguised to congregate in a public place; except that such conduct is not unlawful when it occurs in connection with a masquerade party or like entertainment if, when such entertainment is held in a city which has promulgated regulations in connection with such affairs, permission is first obtained from the police or other appropriate authorities...

New York Penal Law § 240.35(4)
From this PDF

Jon

[edit on 8.28.2008 by Voxel]

new topics

top topics

join