It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain to announce his VP Friday. Predictions?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think its going to be Kay Bailey Hutchison. She seems to accomplish everything that McCain needs to do with this pick. She's strong on most conservative issues, which will appeal to the base. She'll also help among moderate undecided women voters and possibly the angry Hillary voters out there.

Baggage? Not much. She isn't 100% pro-life, which could cause a few problems, but her record is mostly in line with the party on the issue. She was also the subject of an investigation in the early 90s, but it went nowhere due to a lack of evidence, so that one probably checks out OK. Otherwise? No apparent problems.

Other possibilities?
Eric Cantor, the Virginia Representative.
Michael Steele, GOPAC Chairman
And yes, even Condoleezza Rice, despite the Bush administration ties. In fact, I think she'd make an outstanding VP candidate.

And I could certainly be wrong, but I do not believe that Mitt Romney will be a serious contender. The primary fight was just too ugly, and as we've seen with the Obama/Biden ticket, those words will be used against the ticket. The fact that he's only recently become a conservative hurts his chances severely as well.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I keep fantasizing that Senator McCain will offer, and be accepted by Senator Clinton as Veep.

Fractal balance. Think about it...... we'd have the whole gamut of experience, as well as a strong personality to forge through if Senator McCain had health problems.

I like it. I like it a lot.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I would like to see Condi as the VP pick. I happen to like her alot, she's very intelligent and has an impressive resume. Plus it would give every woman, and every african American something to be proud of.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 4x4fun

I agree with you. I think its the most unlikely pick due to her close ties to Bush, as well as her supposed pro-choice stance, but overall, I think she'd make an outstanding candidate even for the presidency itself. For my part, I'd be 100% supportive of her as the selection.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
plucky prediction: McCain will choose a slightly younger, rich, white guy. If I am right, I am a prophet.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

You make it sound like a bad thing to be rich and white.
Anyway, I think you're right. I think it's going to be Romney.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
If in fact McCain announces on Friday, which in addition to being his birthday is also the Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, I think there may be a good chance that Jindal will be the Choice, a backdrop of New Orleans would be powerful image of rebirth.

I read however that McCain will announce in Ohio, Republican John McCain to reveal vice-president choice, with a visit in Pennsylvania the next day, I believe. So possibly Ridge, if that is the case.

But I also heard that McCain will announce tomorrow to try to deflate Obama's sails as much as possible for his nomination speech, McCain's VP choices narrow ahead of Republican convention. So that leaves it 'open' if that is the case.

I don't know... Imagine if it were Ron Paul!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Kay Bailey Hutchison would be a pick that wouldn't deliver any states and would alienate at least a few single issue abortion voters; in exchange for probably getting a few more women on board. However her stance that Roe V. Wade shouldn't be overturned would likely be hammered on hard.

In my opinion McCain is going to pick someone he thinks can stand up to Biden in the VP debates, which narrows it down to Romney, Ridge, or Lieberman. All three have significant disadvantages; my instincts tell me McCain would be most likely to choose Lieberman out of those.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by alkali

No. Every Republican nominee, ever, has been old/white/rich. McCain is 80 years old, so the chance of selecting someone slightly younger, as I said, is likely. That person will also have to be slightly old, white, and rich; otherwise, people like my uncle (who is old/white/rich) will get upset.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I'm guessing Ann Coulter.

For VP.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Alex jones, or george noorey. They both share the values, of being two faced morons, with a need for conning people, like people in washington.

[edit on 8/28/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

This post seems like it was only posted to incite an argument. If you have anything against those two men personally, you should make a new topic with your opinion and have people discuss it instead of trying to get in a cheap shot and hoping to deter the main topic.

I keep thinking Mitt Romney is going to be the VP, but that might be too predictable. We will just have to wait until it is announced.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4x4fun
I would like to see Condi as the VP pick. I happen to like her alot, she's very intelligent and has an impressive resume. Plus it would give every woman, and every african American something to be proud of.

Thats not a far off idea actually!I never thought of that.I wouldve chosen Mitt Romney,so mccain can concentrate on the war on terror ,Romney for the home front.What do i know?im just a pundit!LOL!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I think I heard from Hill's mouth. McCain no way. I'm quite certain of it. Oh man... I guess I gotta go there. Madonna?, Prince? You got me. I think Elvis has got some free time. I am such a .......leave youre favorite quotation here.

[edit on 8/28/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

Originally posted by alkali

No. Every Republican nominee, ever, has been old/white/rich. McCain is 80 years old, so the chance of selecting someone slightly younger, as I said, is likely. That person will also have to be slightly old, white, and rich; otherwise, people like my uncle (who is old/white/rich) will get upset.

I would assume Romney based on what McCain lacks. McCain did very poorly in the mid-west states where Romney excelled. I believe Romney is the only way McCain can win.

McCain turns 72 tomorrow (august 29th). Still 15 years older than his VP candidates... But I realize you were purposely exaggerating now.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by beaverg]

[edit on 28-8-2008 by beaverg]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Well i would have said Romney, i think he would be an excellent choice and would hold out in debate against Biden. Kay Bailey Hutchison is someone who could further bring Clintons woman vote over. Joe Liebermen has been seen frequently campaigning with McCain so i find it almost too predictable. A name that has not been mentioned, that would indeed be an extremely popular choice is Rudi Guliani?!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by evanmontegarde

KBH isn't necessarily my first choice, but based on the rumor mill, I think that's probably going to be who he picks. I don't think she's a bad selection for him, but certainly, she would have some explaining to do on the abortion issue, though her record on the issue is at worst moderate, and nowhere near as liberal as her ultra-conservative detractors make it out to be.

Myself, I wish he'd select Fred Thompson (though he has no interest in it, as far as I know). In fact, I wish Thompson was the presidential candidate. Oh well.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
A smart man would pick Tim Pawlenty.

A brave man would pick Bobby Jindal.

McCain will pick Mitt Romney.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I hope he does pick Romney.

If he does, I'll gladly vote for that ticket in November. If he doesn't, I'll still have to wait and see whether to stay home or not.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
To plagerize a phrase from the Clinton days...."It's the economy, stupid"!

I'm going with Romney. Oh, and keep a close eye out for the Reagan Democrats....

By the way, the above quote is not directed at the OP or any ATS member.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join