It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Owes America An Alzheimer's Test

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Oh to the contrary, McCain has been at a complete loss for information and made incorrect statements a number of times in this election process, all potentially inidicative of alzheimers.

And you mean to tell me that you've never had a brain fart?

I have. And im a longggggg ways from McCains age.

I'm not supporting McCain - but this type of attack is juvenile and totally not helping the cause.

Its the same type of smear campaign used against Obama. Why lower yourselves to the cess pool of the same attacks?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I agree with Andrew,

If you don't want to vote for him because of his age then that is your individual right. But to say that he may have Alzheimer's is taking it a little too far. And playing the age card is discriminating.

How many of you are medically certified to recognize the symptoms of Alzheimer's?

His doctor gave him a clean bill of health.

As far as our right to know a candidates health, how invasive should we be?

Do we ask the same of candidates running for other positions?

Personally I think knowing the health of candidates running for President is important but I really don't know when it crosses the line and becomes an issue of invasion of privacy.

Do you really want to know if a candidate has VD?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

c'mon loam,
would you be happy with an 80yr old running America?

Well, it just so happens I'm not thrilled about THIS 80 yr. old-- but not because of his age.

It's his character I object to.

I just hate all of the age-related hypotheticals projected in the future that assign an incompetency without regard to the fact of it.

In other words, the conversation doesn't appear to be about McCain's mental capacity now. It seems to be about some future date, where because of generalizations and assumptions, we think it's fair to penalize him for something that hasn't yet materialized and may never materialize during the relevant period.

Seems pretty prejudicial and unjust to me.

I also don't get all of the arguments that express undue concern over what might happen should McCain become incapacitated while in office. It's not like there isn't a succession plan. I could even accept the reality of his age, and therefore his potential demise while in office, elevating scrutiny of his VP pick. But otherwise it looks pretty prejudicial.

My $0.02.

But if what is found on the source article's website (which I think is down right offensive and hypocritical beyond belief) is subscribed to by the Obama people, it serves as an indication they will likely govern no differently than the morons currently at the helm.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by loam]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
In reality age is an issue, it does have a serious impact on decision making abilities and reasoning abilities. It also makes the decision for a VP running mate twice as important because a man in his 70's-80's could very well be unable to perform due to medical issues and could even pass away early on in his tenure.

It is sort of scary to think about an 80 year old having access to the red button. My grandma is only 76 and we dont even let her near the VCR.

Something to think about.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Whoa.

Hold on.

Wait a minute.

Most folks know that I try and bring some balance into discussions, so I feel the need to point out that Reagan was 69 years, 349 days old when he was elected into office.

I also should point out that complaining about attacks on Obama, his character and his life, and then turning round and suggesting that McCain has Alzheimers - something that is just as unsubstantiated as the Obama claims, is hypocritical.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
In reality age is an issue, it does have a serious impact on decision making abilities and reasoning abilities.

"May"- but not necessarily. Again, I really have no beef with questioning whether McCain's age impairs him now. But why do you think it's ok to assume he will acquire some disability while in office, when the fact of it hasn't occurred?

Aren't you really just "assigning" a disability to an individual on the basis of generalizations made about a group he happens to belong to?

It also makes the decision for a VP running mate twice as important because a man in his 70's-80's could very well be unable to perform due to medical issues and could even pass away early on in his tenure.

As I indicated in my previous post.

So? Why is this really a problem?

It is sort of scary to think about an 80 year old having access to the red button.

This is where your prejudice really shines!!!!

Why? Are you saying NO 80 year old can have sound judgment?

My grandma is only 76 and we dont even let her near the VCR.

Is that because she is in fact incapacitated in some manner or is that because you assume it of her?

Something to think about.

Yes it is. But not likely for the reason you think.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

True,
But there are symptoms of this occuring today, that could indicate something happening tommorow..

Would you be happy, having an 80yr old man babysitting your daughter?
(If you have or had one)

I wouldnt, and its not becuase of his old man smell,
Its purely because an 80yr old man, cannot make sharp decisions as well as a younger man.
Mental capacity has to come into play.

And yes, there are systems in place to ensure if something does happen to him, another will rise up. But how many lives must be lost, or money thrown away in the period it takes for us to define him as mentally unfit before these systems come into play?

I despise him, because all I see him for is More of Bush's BS.
If Obama was 80, id be saying the same thing, and to be honest, ive been turned of Obama as much as I have been Mccain.

But youve got to admit, 80yrs old poses some difficult problems, and I think its in the publics interests for those problems to be put to bed, through some basic medical testing.

To both candidates if need be.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
John Mccain seems fine to me and im following the guy closely.Im not concerned about his age since the vice president is there to take over in case something happens.Thats the point.
John mccain is strong spirited individual.Even i can see that,and the determination in his eye.
John Mccain '08!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
True,
But there are symptoms of this occuring today, that could indicate something happening tommorow..

Not according to his physician. So without real medical evidence to the contrary, I'm not buying that dribble.

Would you be happy, having an 80yr old man babysitting your daughter?
(If you have or had one)

Hmmm... political/military/economic policy/decision making....versus...babysitting?

Hands down babysitting is the tougher job, so I'm inclined to agree if we're looking a potential physical demand.

I wouldnt, and its not becuase of his old man smell,
Its purely because an 80yr old man, cannot make sharp decisions as well as a younger man.
Mental capacity has to come into play.

Prejudice. That is not a guarantee for all 80 year olds. Why don't you see how unfair that is?

For example:

The oldest Nobel Laureates.

Age Name Category/Year Date of birth
90 Leonid Hurwicz Economics 2007 1917
88 Raymond Davis Jr. Physics 2002 14 October 1914
88 Doris Lessing Literature 2007 22 October 1919
87 Vitaly L. Ginzburg Physics 2003 4 October 1916
87 Peyton Rous Medicine 1966 5 October 1879
87 Joseph Rotblat Peace 1995 4 November 1908
87 Karl von Frisch Medicine 1973 20 November 1886
85 Ferdinand Buisson Peace 1927 20 December 1841
85 John B. Fenn Chemistry 2002 15 June 1917
85 Theodor Mommsen Literature 1902 30 November 1817
84 William S. Knowles Chemistry 2001 1 June 1917
84 Pyotr Kapitsa Physics 1978 9 July 1894

I despise him, because all I see him for is More of Bush's BS.

I get that, but does that really have anything to do with his age?

*sigh*

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I dont believe I said that there arent any 80 year olds who are capable of performing a task and even holding important stations at that stage in life. We are talking about the most powerful position in the free world here. Im not saying Mccain would not be able to do a decent job as president because of his age.

However, to disregard the fact that older people, yes people in their 70's and 80's, do often show signs of their age and frailty is being ignorant of the facts. Many people at that age range tend to see a sharp decline in mental sharpness and overall ability to think clearly. Slowed motor skills, slowed reasoning skills, they are much more susceptible to illness and mental impairment.

Why do you think it becomes difficult for many older folks in their 70's and 80's to keep their drivers license? Because their motor skills and their ability to function decline and decrease rapidly. If you are even trying to imply that an 80 year old has the same mental and physical ability to that of a 40 or even a 50 year old is just plain incorrect.

Im not bashing older people, and I didnt make it that way, but when people age they experience decline in many aspects of their health. It is just the way it is. Again, not saying 100% that it will affect John Mccain in any noticeable way, but to say age isnt an issue when talking about a potential president of the United States is to maintain a level of denial.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
He got his head kicked in so badly by the vietcong...he doesn't no north from south. I don't like that man. Period. A very unpopular post I am sure.

[edit on 8/28/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

But none of that has relevance to McCain if you can't reasonably assert it's true about him now.

Get it?

It's like me talking about how weak women are physically, when I'm looking at one woman who wants a position doing manual labor. Unless the one women is in fact too weak to accomplish the requirements of the position, what relevance do my generalizations about women have?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Agreed, which again is why I said that in general people that old can very well have issues.

Let Mccain get tested and assure voters that he isn't in that category of aging people who have declining mental and physical health.

If he is in tip top shape there shouldn't be any issues, right?

[edit on 8/28/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I think I need an interpreter. I wish you could extrapolate your meaning for dummies...which would be me. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Except you have shifted the burden of proof to him.

Typically, the claimant has that burden.

Why should he start with the presumption of incapacity on nothing more than the basis of his age?

Moreover, his physician has already pronounced him currently medically sound.

Frankly, this whole "testing" thing is pretty outrageous. I mean think about what you are suggesting...medical diagnostic and assessment testing as a pre-condition to holding political office.

What could get more Orwellian than that?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Oh man. I am awash in the sea. I really need to be clued in with simple sentences. Or not...entirely up to you.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
So what is the objection to all candidates taking an alzheimers test?

Surely McCain will pass1

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Because he happens to fall within an age range that demands he be tested for issues.

Fact - old people get sick...the 70's are typically the age where people experience loss of mental facualties. John Mccain is already IN his 70's.

Fact - A position such as president of the United States demands that the candidate be in top physical and mental form in order to make sound judgements that will affect the entire world

Fact - age is unlike race or gender simply in the fact that there are expected medical deteriorations in health that accompany aging, especially the over 70 crowd. Race and gender do not affect a persons physical or mental ability. Age does.

As far as I am concerned Mccain is stable and capable until proven otherwise, but his health and wellness in all areas are indeed the business of the American voters and therefore should be investigated completely.

It is only fair in allowing people to make the best voting decision possible.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Except you have shifted the burden of proof to him.

Typically, the claimant has that burden.

Why should he start with the presumption of incapacity on nothing more than the basis of his age?

Moreover, his physician has already pronounced him currently medically sound.

Frankly, this whole "testing" thing is pretty outrageous. I mean think about what you are suggesting: Medical diagnostic and assessment testing as a pre-condition to holding office.

What could get more Orwellian than that?

They make you take a physical when you join the fire department, they make you take a physical when you enter the military, they make you take a physical to get insurance.

Why wouldnt it be a good idea to do the same for the potential leader of the free world?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
See...that's just it Cy. Lots of us don't think he'd cut the mustard. Could be wrong. Have been many times in the past. I have a serious major malfunction with both of the candidates spreading their malarchy when it could be put to more beneficial purposes. We are talking about 'millions'.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join