It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Neanderthals were more tech savvy than thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Neanderthals

"The term Neanderthal is still synonymous with 'knuckle dragging thuggish brute'," he says. "We're going back and rehabilitating the image of modern Neanderthals."

Neanderthal stock is on the rise. A slew of recent studies have argued that the not-quite modern humans hunted, painted and communicated like their Homo sapiens cousins. Now new research suggests that Neanderthal technology was at least as good as that of early humans.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Of course we humans are intelligent because the neanderthals were intelligent and they only first discovered how to make fire, and what is with this tech savy, it should be stated as intelligent, because there was no cars or mobiles or pc's back then.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yeah they were, it's actually from what I looked up on the net become a very big media issue, the racist branding of cave men as stupid and knuckle draggers...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'm very skeptical of this.
to me it just looks like a rock.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
I'm very skeptical of this.
to me it just looks like a rock.

Heh, wait, this isn't a Mars thread!
Just kidding. What sets this aside from other rocks is the way it's shaped, where it was found, and whether or not it's profile matches the known shapes of rock tools.
Which is why it took so long to move from the idea of "cave men" to early man. Rocks look like rocks, and it can be hard to distinguish them from other rocks, but based on their association, and similarities from folks who still use similar tools, we've been able to ID them.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Last of the Neanderthals here, at least thats what my wife refers to me as...and hell, I can use tools...not just rocks either!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It is thought that Neanderthal continue with heavy thrusting spears while Sapiens moved to lighter spears using spear throwers (atlatl) and around 18,000 bow and arrows.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
They also couldn't run nearly as fast as us, therefore making hunting more difficult, especially on open plains.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

Howdy CC

What is that based on? I've not seen anything outlining a different hip and leg structure for Neanderthals.

top topics

join