It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracking Down Multilingual Members to Help in Threads

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Modulus
I've recently become aware of the multi-linguil depth of ATS users and I'm sure it would be a waste not to utilise their willing skills.

I think it would be fantastic if there could be a formal coding addition to the site to manifest this user skill, something along the lines of a translator button that automates the process. Users could register as translators in specific language groups, then when someone needs something translated they can hit the button, select the language and a u2u request could be delivered to the respective translators.

The_Modulus, that was exactly what I was thinking while reading the first posts..
you just beat me to it, in time... hehehe

Perhaps we could discuss even further on how this "system" would work (?)...

It is a fact the ATS has members from all over the globe, and the language barrier should not be an obstacle in our never-ending search for the truth.

Something else that crossed my mind:

Not only this "system" could help in order to translate and interpret data, but also the same members willing to translate could be reached for questions about their region, information about locations, distances, etc, the local culture and knowledge they may have about their surroundings.

I had this thought yesterday while trying to explain something to a member about a place in my country which is highly interesting for UFO and paranormal researchers, though there's almost no information about it on the internet... and the little there is, is in portuguese.

Hope I could help...

Peace

EDIT: spelling..

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Sator]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator

Not only this "system" could help in order to translate and interpret data, but also the same members willing to translate could be reached for questions about their region, information about locations, distances, etc, the local culture and knowledge they may have about their surroundings.

That's an excellent idea! If you're googling some random event you could search the location in the ATS correspondent locater! Who could then provide a sort of field study of the area...

However, many people may not be so happy to give away their physical locations, you know, in case...

new topics

<< 1   >>

join