It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracking Down Multilingual Members to Help in Threads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I've come across some threads where translation skills are required. Sometimes the discussion can't really move on until a translation has been provided, sometimes its really just a matter of enhancing the debate. Here's a current example, requiring a Japanese speaker, for example.

I'm wondering whether there's any mileage in having a list of speakers of other languages somewhere on the board, say on the 'myATS' page. Those who are willing to help out when requested could then register what language(s) they speak, how proficient they are (perhaps using a simple scale) and how much notice they require (to reflect how often they check their U2Us).

Most of the requests would probably relate to video evidence, I guess, but there could well be a need for documents to be perused as well. A summary is probably all that would normally be required to put some oil in the works.

What do you think?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Check out this thread. Several members (including myself) have registered as willing to do translations from different languages. An excellent initiative taken by Scramjet76

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Reply to ziggystar60

That was a 1st-class response. Nice going!

I think there is still some mileage in a more formal register, though. For one, the author of that thread decided only 3 people could register for each language, arguably an unnecessary restriction. Also, a register made really visible by ATS itself would surely prove more effective.

The ball is in the court of others who might like to comment, plus anyone from the ATS staff who might wish to express a view.

zs: what do you think yourself?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

I speak/read/write French/Italian/Greek and some semblance of English.
So I translate good for you, if you need me.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
well if you ever need Croatian translation or other former yugoslavian language... and some German translation help

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I agree with you that the register should be made more visible. I guess a lot of ATS members are not aware that there are several members they can contact to get help with translations. And totally, there are now translators for 20 different languages. 20! Not bad at all.

So perhaps the staff here at ATS could do something to help make the list of translators easier to find..?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Nice going, people. I wasn't expecting people to start volunteering, but if this ever comes to anything it might help the staff to collate the information. I think this willingness to help suggests a positive response to the whole idea of an accessible list.

(I can join the fray with Russian & German, plus rusty French.)

[edit to add:]

How about some flags, people?

Let's get this show on the road...

[edit on 27/8/08 by pause4thought]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Eh, wouldn't it be better if people posted in the already excisting thread..? Or do you want to start a whole new list of translators?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Reply to ziggystar

Unfortunately the author of that thread decided only the 1st three who applied would be accepted for a given language. Surely the list should be as full as possible, so why not do it here in BBQ?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

There's your flag!

I'm on my way out the door. Going to a Avett Brothers concert.

I'll get back to ya...

-SJ76

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Reply to Scramjet76

Hi there.

Either that is a very long concert or you drank too much. Probably both.

Don't wait till your sober. Most people on ATS don't.

I'm hoping the positive energy emitted by your 'flag' (not to mention your avatar) says you are on board with this suggestion.

Mods/ArchMods/Gang of III - there is some serious goodwill behind what the linguists here, and in the other thread, are saying. Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Unfortunately the author of that thread decided only the 1st three who applied would be accepted for a given language. Surely the list should be as full as possible, so why not do it here in BBQ?

Yes I was a bit slow to get going this morning..

On topic, thanks for bringing these questions to the BBQ. I have been debating for some time on whether to do away with the 5 registrant (3 + 2 reserves) maximum per language. The only reason I placed those restrictions was to initially award preference to those who were 1st to register. I do see the wisdom in lifting this restriction, in favor of a comprehensive list in our quest for truth and denying ignorance.

I have U2U'd an esteemed member on ATS for their opinion on this subject. Also, if any registrants of The UFO-Alien Applied Linguistics Registry would like to give their 2 cents on this issue please sound off now. Your opinion is more important than mine... I'm not even on the list!
(although I'm ok in german and have japanese contacts)

As for the location of the thread. Although the BBQ would (also) be a nice location, the Alien/UFO forum receives even more traffic than the BBQ. The staff here was kind enough to support the idea and make it a permanent thread.

Thank you again for bringing this up pause4thought. If you are capable in other languag(s) please register. If you are looking for help with translation don't hesitate to U2U a translator. Please star and flag the registry. Thanks again to all the registrants, staff (who made it a perm thread), Internos (who was very supportive) and to you pause4thought.... for bringing this up in the BBQ.

Sincerely,

SJ76

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
As I did on the other thread about translators (and being am on the Reserve list), you can count on me for Spanish!

With regards to starting a new translator thread, here is my two cents on this: If anyone finds something of interest but it is on another language. Why not post the article or the link to it on its proper thread and query anybody to translate this for our members? This way we are not creating multiple threads for the same topic?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

hey SD,

Very cool. Please register if you haven't already.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

What do I need to do?
Should I just cut and paste my post from here at the above thread?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I can translate some German.

There are translating websites, though

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Mehemea e pirangi koe ka whakahuri etahi korerorero Maori i te reo Pakeha - a - tono mai ki ahau nei. Engari, kaore au e kite te maha o era tumomo mea i roto i toku reo.

"If you want anything translated from Maori into Pakeha/English, let me know. However, I've not seen a great deal of that sort of thing in my/Maori language."

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yeah you're fine.

It's nice to post your intentions in the thread that way we have you locked in for life.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Excellent suggestion pause4thought

I've recently become aware of the multi-linguil depth of ATS users and I'm sure it would be a waste not to utilise their willing skills.

I think it would be fantastic if there could be a formal coding addition to the site to manifest this user skill, something along the lines of a translator button that automates the process. Users could register as translators in specific language groups, then when someone needs something translated they can hit the button, select the language and a u2u request could be delivered to the respective translators.

I think such a system would be far more effective than merely having a thread burried in some forum with a bunch of usernames to have to confront. By sending a u2u to all users for a specific language you would ensure that only those who at that particular time want to assist can respond and do so, rather than having to knock on doors.

I speak German and would be glad to assist in translation!

I was actually somewhat offended recently when I was quite rudely warned not to manifest this second language of mine in the ats universe. I think it would be a very positive gesture towards the recognition of the international community represented on here on ats to make use of our diversity.

Flag

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Thank you alien and Modulus!

Not to sound picky, but in the future if you would like to be added to the list can you post to the registration thread. That will help me from having to check two threads.

Also, pause4thought relayed me to a thread which requires some japanese-->english translation. If you run across a situation that requires a translator please go to the thread and U2U the individual. Any translations which yield interesting data in regards to (Aliens/UFOs) should be posted in the thread for all to read.

Thanks again people!

-SJ76

Edit: added bowing icons lol

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Scramjet76]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join