It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Iraq Open's up To Tourism

page: 2
2
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
@Canuck: Unless everything I leanred in University and from common sense was completely wrong, the average Cuban is pretty poor. I never said they were uncivilized. On the contrary, from what I gather they're as nice as the people from anywhere else on the planet. What I said was they lack basic resources. What good is socialized healthcare when you have to wait in line for your ration of beans and rice? For Heaven's sake, food has been rationed there since 1962.


You know, I'd think more along the lines of humble than poor. Basic resources they have and on top of that they are getting medical and education. The DR, where neither is universal, I'd be more likely to call poor. Rationing doesn't mean starvation...the UK had rationing into the 60's I believe...certainly the late 50's. They go to Cuba too...

There is no comparison between Iraq and Cuba. As to archaeology, I know a little of the subject and you might want to consult the forums to see what the professionals think about the looting of museums, and the destruction of sites. Remember...the first duty of the occupying army was to protect the oil ministry while the museum turned into a free-for-all.

I'll enjoy the sands of Cuba (along with it's history and archaeology) instead, thanks. And if you want to help fix Cuba...look to your government to drop the embargo.




posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Until all the tons of depleted uranium in that country is cleaned up, and the US and UK who put it there refuse, the risks in not only coming into direct contact with the nano dust that blows in the wind, and even taking it home to share with others is very high.



posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Now just who do you think will finance this boondoggle?
Who do you think the contractor will be for Disney in the Desert?

I find it ironic that Baghdad has no running water, limited electricity, no sewers or operating treatment plants but are starting to talk about tourism.

Sound like spin to you?? naaaahhhhh.....

Bend over American taxpayer, we're not quite thru with you yet....


........

Oh .. I don't know ... how about Iraq's 80 BILLION dollar SURPLUS (after expense) that is yearly funding a massive sovereign wealth fund (investments).



I think 80 billion will buy a few luxury hotels and golf courses. Construction will generate jobs, consumers, which will generate jobs and smaller consumers and ... oh .. soon all the Iraqi's will be to busy working 9-5 paying off credit card debts and suffering the burden of a mortgage.. Mohammad won't have time to go blow up a crowded market of women and children if hes behind on his car payment.



posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Originally posted by Rockpuck Oh .. I don't know ... how about Iraq's 80 BILLION dollar SURPLUS (after expense) that is yearly funding a massive sovereign wealth fund (investments).

Be nice if a little of that dough made its way back into the pockets of the American taxpayer, though, wouldn't it?



posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by sc2099
@Canuck: Unless everything I leanred in University and from common sense was completely wrong, the average Cuban is pretty poor. I never said they were uncivilized. On the contrary, from what I gather they're as nice as the people from anywhere else on the planet. What I said was they lack basic resources. What good is socialized healthcare when you have to wait in line for your ration of beans and rice? For Heaven's sake, food has been rationed there since 1962.


You know, I'd think more along the lines of humble than poor. Basic resources they have and on top of that they are getting medical and education. The DR, where neither is universal, I'd be more likely to call poor. Rationing doesn't mean starvation...the UK had rationing into the 60's I believe...certainly the late 50's. They go to Cuba too...

There is no comparison between Iraq and Cuba. As to archaeology, I know a little of the subject and you might want to consult the forums to see what the professionals think about the looting of museums, and the destruction of sites. Remember...the first duty of the occupying army was to protect the oil ministry while the museum turned into a free-for-all.

I'll enjoy the sands of Cuba (along with it's history and archaeology) instead, thanks. And if you want to help fix Cuba...look to your government to drop the embargo.


Your idealism is staggering. In the same post you say that Cubans are humble rather than poor, as if they choose to live simply as opposed to being unable to satisfy basic needs on the same basis as the rest of us. Then you proceed to say that the reason Cubans can't meet these needs (that's what you meant by needing to be fixed, isn't it?) is that the big bad US is standing on the throat of the people via a trade embargo. So which is it? Is the US keeping Cuba down or are Cubans so far beyond silly, base needs such as hunger that they prefer waiting in line for hours at the bodega to the quick trips to the supermarket we take?

If I were to take it at face value that Cuba does indeed need the help of the American government to fix its problems, I would simply say that if Cubans don't like the embargo then Cubans can very easily get rid of it, by dumping Castro on a raft and shoving it in the direction of Miami. I'm sure there's room enough among the refugees fleeing his regime daily.

Why is it inaccurate to compare an (hypothetical) Iraqi resort to a Cuban one? Both are oases of luxury amid a desert of poverty. Both give much needed employment to people who lack opportunity. Both countries lack infrastructure outside the bubble of the resort. Sounds pretty accurate to me.

I agree that the art/museum/looting fiasco in Iraq needs to be sorted out. But even without access to priceless pieces of history, people will still go to a resort if the deal is good enough. Your example of the Dominican Republic comes to mind. It's a veritable hellhole, yet people flock there all year long. And the resorts aren't even up to par.

It's myopic to think that Iraq is going to be a wasteland forever. Eventually tourists will be going there and the guy in the article will be waiting to take their money.



posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Originally posted by Rockpuck Oh .. I don't know ... how about Iraq's 80 BILLION dollar SURPLUS (after expense) that is yearly funding a massive sovereign wealth fund (investments).


Be nice if a little of that dough made its way back into the pockets of the American taxpayer, though, wouldn't it?



No, it wouldn't.

Should we expect them to pay for us destroying them? how does that make sense.

Hey. Tore your house down. My bad. Your uh, gunna have to pay me to fix your house again though ......



posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa
 


Turkey, along with many other countries have lots of drinking tourists and they are mainly muslim countries, to think that all Muslims don't drink is a very stereotypical view. When I was last in Turkey I asked a Muslim about it and he said it is like a pair of scales, for everytime he drinks alcohol he must do something good to balance it out.



posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BBTBE
reply to post by whaaa
 


Turkey, along with many other countries have lots of drinking tourists and they are mainly muslim countries, to think that all Muslims don't drink is a very stereotypical view. When I was last in Turkey I asked a Muslim about it and he said it is like a pair of scales, for everytime he drinks alcohol he must do something good to balance it out.


Good point! I'll go to Turkey but not Iraq. Turkey looks very nice.

Perhaps we should ask the troops now in Iraq about it's potential as a tourist destination.



posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck...Should we expect them to pay for us destroying them? how does that make sense.


Ok...it's sometimes difficult to tell an American who figures you destroyed Iraq from one who figures that you saved Iraq from Saddam and the rest is merely collateral damage.

You see both flavours hereabouts.



posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa
 


I wasn't saying that Iraq was a good place for a holiday destination, far from it, but I was trying to show that not all muslims don't drink.



new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 1   >>

log in

join