It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK urges tough response to Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

UK urges tough response to Russia

news.bbc.co.uk

The Russian president says he is not afraid of a new Cold War... He has a big responsibility not to start one
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-8-2008 by all2human]

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 8/27/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
NATO and Russia are standing-off ,there once warm relationship is becoming very cold with the military alliance accusing Moscow of failing to honor the cease-fire agreement with Georgia. Both powers are ramping up the tensions in the region,with a NATO and Russian naval build-up in the Black sea,USA missiles in Poland and the declaring independent of Georgia's abkhazia and South Ossetia regions. The conflict between Georgia and Russia is all but over, but the war of words between NATO and Russia is in full swing.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-8-2008 by all2human]

CX

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Might be worth changing the thread title to the correct one, just incase you get people panicing. A little misleading.

CX.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Well outside of the eastern side being weaker than it was under the Warsaw pact this could be bad for Russia Nato has grown and Russia pretty much stands alone no longer having The Warsaw Pact nor it's former soviet puppet states to bolster it's position.

So with that in mind I think they are in a weaker position than they were in the 80's

mho

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
One could imagine a lot if Russia started to take control of the former soviet states and went in the direction of martial law but fat chance of that happening now a days.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
it said on the news in the uk that russia is not scared of starting a cold war/confrontation.
In its newspaper it had a one finger sign. the oil and electric supply comes from russia

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Without the backing of China or India, Russia is isolated and losing political credibility fast,Russia's defence of it's citizens in Georgia may have been just,but Threatening Europe,USA and former Soviet states is a NO NO. Let's hope common sense prevails through this crisis

[edit on 28-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
[edit on 29-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human

edit on 29-8-2008

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
EXCUSE ME, AS I WAS JUST PRACTICING QUOTING A POST,BUT I DON'T QUITE GET IT THOUGH.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well outside of the eastern side being weaker than it was under the Warsaw pact this could be bad for Russia Nato has grown and Russia pretty much stands alone no longer having The Warsaw Pact nor it's former soviet puppet states to bolster it's position.

So with that in mind I think they are in a weaker position than they were in the 80's

mho

Hard to tell. Having all the extra people to look after and keep in line might have been a disadvantage in some ways. They almost have as many strategic resources as before and less people to look after. So when it comes to economic warfare I think they are in a stronger position. In a ground war they are in a weaker position. However nuclear weapons make ground wars too risky for either side and I don't think Warsaw was ever stronger then NATO when it came to overall military strength anyway (maybe shortly after WW2 but probably not from 1960 onwards).

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
There is one thing people need to realize in the last 15 years the Russians have not been shy about using military force as a means of aggressive negotiations. With so much naval power in such a small ocean anything can happen.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The UK is taking a hard line against the old Ruskies,Maybe both can come back to the table and meet half-way, Someone has to give.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
i wish my government solved the immigration problem ..if we goto war the only people left home will be the rich and the immigrants...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

mho

They are in a military alliance with China and 4 other ex-soviet nations. India, Pakistan, Iran, and Mongolia are soon to be members.

The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is an intergovernmental mutual-security organization which was founded in 2001 by the leaders of China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. Except for Uzbekistan, the other countries had been members of the Shanghai Five, founded in 1996; after the inclusion of Uzbekistan in 2001, the members renamed the organization.

en.wikipedia.org...
Membership

Members
China
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Russia
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan

Observers
India
Iran
Mongolia
Pakistan

Guest Attendances
Afghanistan
ASEAN
CIS

Dark blue is NATO, Brown is SCO and light brown are observer states of the SCO.

None of the members of the SCO are pleased with Russia's actions in Georgia, China especially, as they all have semi-autonomous regions in their own countries and they do not like the precedence set in Georgia. China did not like the Kosovo dispute at all, and now this makes matters much worse for them regarding Taiwan and Tibet.

Nonetheless, most Shanghai Cooperation Organization members will remain circumspect about offering anything that could encourage secessionist impulses in their own countries.

"Kyrgyzstan has territorial issues in the south with ethnic Uzbeks and Kazakhstan are concerned with the ethnic Russian dominated north," said independent political analyst Parviz Mullodzhanov. "While we in Tajikistan have our own Gorno-Badakshan autonomous region."

The four Central Asian members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization — Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan — are reluctant to endanger their relations with Europe and the United States.

www.iht.com...

[edit on 31-8-2008 by ben420]

new topics

top topics

join