It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are their any aircraft that look similar to a nimrod?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
hello, i woudl have posted this last week but i couldnt recover my account till today.

a week ago, and a week before that , their has been a very strange aircraft circling where i stay (blackpool). The first time i saw it flew in from the sea (west) and looked to be heading to Warton (raf / B.A.E base), it flew in quite low, as low as a jet coming into land (below the clouds) and it had a very distinct noise, different from any normal jet that would be flying about this area.

Last week, i saw it again, this time it was circling blackpool for about an hour.,

now, the craft was dark grey / black in color which was what made me think it was strange, i have looked all over the net for a pic, the closest i could find was the NIMROD, the only Differences were that the body did not seem to bloted at the top part, and their was no jet intakes near the body , but the points on the wings (that look a bit like jets, but i dont know what they do).

was very strange, i looked all over the net, found pics of nimrods which were very close, exept for those differences.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
There is one aircraft which looks very similar to a Nimrod, that being the DH Comet. However to my knowledge there is not a single one still flying.

The dark grey point made me wonder if perhaps it is a Sentinel R1

Sentinel R1

The RAF's next generation of ASTOR aircraft, to replace the Nimrod R1

Jensy

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Incidently I just realised that more likely it could be a Nimrod MRA4 which in not only grey rather than beige, but indeed is completely redesigned including intakes and fusalage.

Jensy

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
if there were no engine intakes near the body, and the line about things on the wings that looked as if they could have been jets but you dont know what they were, I suppose depending on the angle it might have been a VC10.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
there is a thread started by Dan Tanna , he photographed the plane in question.

it was a Nimrod MRA4 on its way down to Warton.

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
here is the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

hope this helps

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensy
Incidently I just realised that more likely it could be a Nimrod MRA4 which in not only grey rather than beige, but indeed is completely redesigned including intakes and fusalage.

Jensy

Actually, the MRA4 fuselage is near identical to that of the MR.2 because it *is* the fuselage of the MR.2 - the MRA4 has a new wing et al, but the fuselages are coming from existing MR.2 aircraft.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

For the sake of ease, which one of these did it most look like?

The Sentinel?

Nimrod MRA4?

VC10?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Snoops, the plane in Dan Tanna's thread is an MR.2, not an MRA4

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Snoops, the plane in Dan Tanna's thread is an MR.2, not an MRA4

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
Actually, the MRA4 fuselage is near identical to that of the MR.2 because it *is* the fuselage of the MR.2 - the MRA4 has a new wing et al, but the fuselages are coming from existing MR.2 aircraft.

Right you are and mighty old fusalages they are! What I actually meant was the paint scheme (was posting in the ungodly hours of the morning).

RE Waynos: Indeed and the OP described the air intakes as being MR2 standard.

Jensy

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
hello again
sorry for teh late reply, i never realised this got any replied,

some cool pics their, when i saw it teh first time if flew pretty much strait over my house, i was looking at it flew over.

looking at the pics (thanks Psychopump) has got me a wee bit confused, see,at first i woudl have said the VC10, except for one or 2 small points... mainly the rear engines on the VC10 as they deffinitelly were not their and it looked a hell of a lot sleeker!

im 100% sure now its the Nimrod MRA4, i was unsure about the intakes near the body but i might just not have noticed, as i was stunned by the big bulges on the wings, and the fact it looked near black, most likely the unpainted one, as i could imagine them fixing something then testing it flying a few loops of the area then landing back at warton.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
here is the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

hope this helps

snoopyuk

sorry, double post!! the pic in that post where the whole plane is pictured looks a HELL of a lot like it, even the way the engines were hard to spot, and the bulgy bits on the wings look massive!.. just how i remembered!

top topics

join