It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese cats grow 'wings'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Ungh, I was just looking at this on other areas of the net.

People are arguing that humans aren't evolving.
Others are arguing that all human mutations are failures in evolution.

I'm not a member of those sites, but I would like to point out, THIS IS TOTALLY BOGUS.

Evolution IS currently occurring in humans, and there ARE cases of mutations being beneficial to the individuals.

For instance, there are many cases arising in the eastern world, Arabia comes to mind, in which people are being born without Clavicles, (Without collarbones.)

The clavicle is not a mechanically necessary bone structure, in fact, in our standing form (as we are now) it actually impedes your capability to reach somewhat, not to mention is incredibly fragile and prone to damage.

In the past, back when we were crawling animals (you will find these bone structures on many other crawling animals), the clavicle was required to support the upper chassis of the body.

Now that we walk on our hind legs, the clavicle has outlived it's purpose.

These individuals being born without clavicles have a greater reach than those with clavicles, and increased flexibility, in that they can shift their shoulders forward to reach further.

They do not experience any undesirable side effects. (Aside from doctors wanting to xray and examine them repeatedly through curiosity.)

So if someone tells you that either "Humans aren't evolving" or "All mutations in humans are 100% useless, ergo, evolution isn't through mutation", you can point, laugh, and proceed to inform them they are full of it.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is fascinating!

Think of a cat getting ready to jump. The shoulders 'lift'.

I am sure that there is something to (physical)genetic memory and we don't understand it yet...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

It doens't surprise me that it's been seen before. There have been all kinds of defects seen in humans and pretty much all other animals. The disturbing part is that these cats were wingless and then suddenly sprouted wings.

I wonder if spicy cat wings will be next.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicize
reply to post by Quazga

I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a mammal mutating after birth. I have heard of them being born with a genetic defect or mutation and then passing that along. I would be interest in that though. Do you have any other examples?

it would make perfect sense if it was the kind of mutation that only shows up after birth. a post pubescent change of some kind maybe. i know it is a lame example but redheads that turn to brunettes with age. how do you know it was always like that? not all of them do. but it is something that does not show up right at birth. people's eyes have been known to change color too but that is whole other issue but still and example of a human mutation after birth.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Azrael75

Those would appear to be related to reduced or increased production of pigment rather than genetic mutations appearing out of nowhere. This would be more like the redhead growing another arm at a certain age. I'm not aware of any instances of this occuring naturally with mammals. Insects do it all the time. I think it may be possible with gene therapy though.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Too bad PIGS aren't growing wing-things. I was hoping pigs would fly so I can win my bet I had.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
this mutation is a result of the pollution that is rife in china.all manners of waste products are emmited throughout china and permeate the biosphere,there are cancer villages where every other person develops cancer due to polluted water supplies sourced from factory waste and manufacturing bi product dumping.these villages life expectancies are somewhat in the regions of the 30-40.s and there are alot of them.

this is nothing to do with evolution just non existant envirnomental standards.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
my cat could loose his legs and not notice he sleeps so much..

[edit on 27-8-2008 by fatdad]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Hmm maybe it is an evolutionary trait to help defend cats in china from being eaten. Ya know nature's saying "heck give em wings let the humans deal with a flying cat"

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Lol, I know what's going on.
You see over there in China, they eat cats. So the cats started experimenting with genecoding and x-men science and firgured the only way them asians could'nt catch them is if they sprouted wings so they can fly off Lol :w: .
Or it could be that the Chinese are trying to create BBQ CatWings, Sorta Like BBQ Buffulo Wings Lol.

Seriously though, this is some wierd stuff, I don't see how those wings would be heat regulaters though, they would have to be bald or incredibly short haired to have that function. I honestly think it's a result of some crazy chemical or something floating around.

Or God's just screwing with us, trying to pull an april fools on us in September lol.

-Jimmy

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by logicize

the key there is that you say that is how it appears to be. do you know? do you know the mechanism behind a green eyed person becoming a brown eyed or vice/versa. i get what you are saying and it makes sense but it also seems to be a hunch like most otherstuff relating to evolution, mutations, and these cats.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Evolution IS currently occurring in humans, and there ARE cases of mutations being beneficial to the individuals.

For instance, there are many cases arising in the eastern world, Arabia comes to mind, in which people are being born without Clavicles, (Without collarbones.)

The clavicle is not a mechanically necessary bone structure, in fact, in our standing form (as we are now) it actually impedes your capability to reach somewhat, not to mention is incredibly fragile and prone to damage.

In the past, back when we were crawling animals (you will find these bone structures on many other crawling animals), the clavicle was required to support the upper chassis of the body.

Now that we walk on our hind legs, the clavicle has outlived it's purpose.

These individuals being born without clavicles have a greater reach than those with clavicles, and increased flexibility, in that they can shift their shoulders forward to reach further.

On that issue, have these clavicle-less persons been physically tested to do some strnagely human things. For instance, how does not havign a clavicle affect the ability to crawl on the floor? I would say this may impede in a military situation.

What about pull-ups/chin-ups. Can they effectively perform these excercises, as well as push-ups as well as a person with a clavicle?

I broke the same clavicle twice when I was a young child. Was it all for naught?

As far as the cats go, if there are no bones its obviously just a skin disorder/mutation

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join