It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese cats grow 'wings'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Chinese cats grow 'wings'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Tom cats in Sichuan province in southern China have sprouted wing-like growths on their backs, which locals are attributing to the hot summer weather and the romantic attentions of females.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.vorchester.com

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Bizarre! There's more than one. There must be something in the water. I don't buy the 'result of licking' answer suggested in the article.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Cool!! I would rather see something like that happening in evolution than giant man eating spiders with wings.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ah evolution in progress.

Though I don't think these are to become "wings" more like thin flaps to regulate body heat. Like a heat exchange.

Of course, it's just a matter of time before the religious run in here and try to come up with some story as to how this isn't evolution. lol.

Genetic screwups are the building blocks of evolution. Those that turn out to be useful, typically stick around. Those that impede the species, are typically weeded out.

Lets see if this one helps or hinders the species.

(I get the feeling breeders are going to ensure this genetic screwup sticks around regardless through directed breeding... there will be plenty of people who are willing to buy one of these cats just because of these intriguing flaps of skin.)

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
just stop giving "red bull" for cats to drink.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Doesn't sound like evolution. They 'sprouted' the wings. They started to grow after the cats were born.

I had a cat once that was weaned too early and started to use the tip of its tail as a pacifier. It sucked the color out of its tail and was left with a light colored tail tip. But of all the cats I've had, and I've had quite a few, I've never seen one lick itself a set of wings.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by logicize
reply to post by johnsky

Doesn't sound like evolution. They 'sprouted' the wings. They started to grow after the cats were born.

I had a cat once that was weaned too early and started to use the tip of its tail as a pacifier. It sucked the color out of its tail and was left with a light colored tail tip. But of all the cats I've had, and I've had quite a few, I've never seen one lick itself a set of wings.

Uhm.... I don't know if you have been paying attention lately, but a species can have a mutation during one life, and then pass it on genetically to it's offspring. Evolution doesn't just show up in a new generation all the time. Sometimes it pops up during a generation and is passed on from there. Especially if the genetic expression is one that has been dormant for a span of time and is triggered by environmental conditions.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by logicize

Ok, so the articles say "CATS" but there is only one picture?

I don't see CATS... I see CAT.

Until there is more than one this is just simply a fluke.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I could be wrong, but I've never heard of a mammal mutating after birth. I have heard of them being born with a genetic defect or mutation and then passing that along. I would be interest in that though. Do you have any other examples?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I wonder How long before pigs have wings....

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Now thats weird!

Its a shame, the first thing i thought of looking at the pic was that they were tumors , their is nothing saying they were tested for anything, just that they are not bothering the cat, so i guess its all good.

very very strange though,the last reply beat me to the pigs having wings pun

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Man, my cat already causes enough trouble.

If he learns to fly, I hate to think what might happen

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Sometimes I wonder.

My cat gets so hyper, sometimes I swear it's flying.
He gets a running start, hits the wall at an angle, goes up the wall, hits the corner of the room, and continues along that wall until he gets to the window sill. Then bolts across the room skipping along the backs of the chairs.

... funny enough, after skimming the backs of the chairs, he usually collides head first with the wall.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Maybe they sprouted wings so they can fly the hell out of there before someone eats them! LOL
Seriously, this is some type of tumor or a recessive/mutated gene. Either way, not good. I'm not buying the heat thing. Is it possible someone has been playing God in a laboratory?
I really can't say, but it just gives me a bad feeling.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Is it possible someone has been playing God in a laboratory?
I really can't say, but it just gives me a bad feeling.

Me too. Imagine if this started to happen with humans. Maybe the Chinese are experimenting with creating a human flying army. Cats are just the beginning. Yikes.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Ah evolution in progress.Though I don't think these are to become "wings" more like thin flaps to regulate body heat. Like a heat exchange.

Cats are desert animals, why would they need "heat regulators" now, after so long?

Not saying evolution isn't real, but the growths could be something different.

Still hoping for wings because flying cats would be cooler.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

After reading

Maybe they sprouted wings so they can fly the hell out of there before someone eats them!

I read your post

Cats are desert animals,

as

Cats are dessert animals. Yuck!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i think that cat may have eaten to many birds...lol

are they sure it's wings and not other legs trying to grow ?

they seem to be towards the rear of the critter and not where wings would be like on a bird ?

oh and is this really breaking news ?

[edit on 27-8-2008 by easynow]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This has been seen many times.

Here is an interesting page on the subject:

Winged Cats - What are they?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
From the article:

Although the growths appear fluffy, they contain bone.

In fact, the hairy growths probably developed because of unusual grooming habits, a genetic defect or a hereditary skin condition.

Since when does a skin condition cause new bone to grow? I don't think I would have even included that conclusion.

Logicize:

I think the Chinese read it that way all the time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join