It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 year old told "you're too good" to play baseball

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

9 year old told "you're too good" to play little league

sports.espn.go.com

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/27/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This team was put together because of zoning ordinances within the little league rules.

Now - this boy - who's 40 mph fastball (9 years old) is being punished for his athletic ability and his entire team is being disbanded as a result.

What happened to the American Dream especially when it comes to the great American Game?

If there's anything that's more American than Apple Pie, its baseball.

And now we seem to be losing touch with it as well

:shk:

the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Whatever happened to Good Sportsmanship?

"Sore losers" anyone?

sports.espn.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I don't get it...

As a nation we just embraced Michael Phelps because he was "too good," but this nine year old boy should be penalized? This "league" (a league of idiots) is sending the wrong message to Jericho Scott, the other kids in the league and to the whole nation.

On a side note, the Yankees need to sign this kid quick... They need the pitching...

Baseball Monkeys, not just for singing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" anymore...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Completely agreed

Its the squeeky wheel that gets the oil. You see it everywhere in our Country today.

Right here in my home town - Urbana, IL, we were forced to retire the Symbol of the University of Illinois - "Chief Illiniwek" because a few people thought it was racist to portray an American Indian as the symbol of a prestigious school. Chief Illiniwek has been the Symbol of the UofI for more than 80 years...

Those who make the most ruckus AND lay on the most guilt, will win every time.

On a side note, the Yankees need to sign this kid quick... They need the pitching...

Thats hilarious

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The reason this is an issue is because of that "everyone is a winner" bs.

I don't like it.. it should be like in our day, you lose you suck.. if you don't want to suck get better.. How hard is that to understand.

I don't care if I make u whine cause you suck at something I am better at. Do better then I will suck.. THis politically correct life is starting to really irk me to the point that I will not let my kids play anything.. cause everyone is a winner attitude ends up wit the kid not wanting to compete in anything and expects things to be given to him..

Anyway that's all folks.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This situation is local politics gone mad. The local alderman wanted this kid to pitch for his favotite team and the kid wanted to play for the team he chose. The screws where tightened on the local officials and this poor kid is being held hostage for some buttheads testosterone level being way to high. Atrocious doesn't begin to describe this politician or the damned fools who kowtow to his whims!! But...Thats Connecticut !!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
the stupidest thing in the whole article:?

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Wrong. Little League isnt for "new players"

I remember playing farm league, little league, etc

So since when do "new players" get a world championship little league baseball...with it being broadcast on ESPN?...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
What a crock... talent should be sought after and encouraged. What the hell kind of world is this? I guess the only way for the losers to compete is to use laws and politics. Sad.

Are there more advanced leagues for kids like this? When I was a kid I played club soccer which was a lot more competitive than AYSO. There was no such thing as "too good", at least back then.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
here's a little something extra - more from the "action" stand point of what the parents are doing

arents are angry. There are lawyers involved. Conflicting and wild accusations are flying. The adults are fighting over the kids.

Sounds like a nasty divorce, but it’s actually a fight between a youth baseball league, one of its coaches and some parents.

“The spirit of the league was community, family, well being, nurturing. It’s an extended family and it’s been disrupted,” said attorney Peter Noble, who represents Liga Juvenil De Baseball De New Haven, Spanish for Youth Baseball League of New Haven. The league is not affiliated with Little League baseball.

Full Story

It's kind of sad that they have to bring lawyers into this

but its even worse that the league made them resort to legal recourse

"league of idiots" is damn right

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
Wrong. Little League isnt for "new players"

I remember playing farm league, little league, etc

So since when do "new players" get a world championship little league baseball...with it being broadcast on ESPN?...

Just for clarification...

The "league" (league of idiots) is not part of, nor is it affiliated with "Little League." It is a home brewed, one off bit of mismanagement and incompetence unto themselves. These jerks are on their own, and need to be kept well away from the rest of youth athletics.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Good point

i missed that part of it

right now - im contacting Bill Cloutier- he is the Assistant Sports Editor for the NewHaven Review

im trying to get an email address or business # for the league its self

Will post more if i find it

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Poor guy. Children's sports are getting weirder and weirder. My step daughter's school doesn't even keep score at any of the athletic competitions- and this is not an isolated thing. Many schools do such a thing nowadays.

This does them no favors in terms of real world experience. In the real world, the gifted and the hard workers get ahead and get promoted. Teaching children the concept that there are no winners and not to be be 'too good' is the opposite of how the real world works.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I was most surprised by the fact that a 9 y/o throwing 40 mph is considered such a rare phenomenon. I could find a couple handfuls of 9 y/o's who could throw 40 just in my city alone. I'd be more concerned if this kid was throwing splitters and ridiculous curves.

Peace

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well, yolks on them all.

A baseball team should take this kid under their wing, give him continuous training until he is old enough to join the mens leagues.

Think of it like an investment. If this kid is good enough to make teams forfeit instead of facing him, imagine what he'd be like with years of professional training!

If I owned a team, I'd be investing HEAVILY in this kids future.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

No offense, but that I would really have a problem with. A 9 y/o should not look at baseball as a business. The fact that this kid is getting all this press is bad enough.

Peace

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I would disagree with that, Dr. Love

The greatest athletes of our time were serious players in their childhood, which carried over into their professional career.

I never heard of a very successful athlete who said "i didn't take baseball seriously as a kid, i just set down and picked 4 leaf clovers in the outfield"

I say - if you see your child excelling at something - run with it. Give your child the opportunity to succeed.

A parent wouldn't deny their child the academic path of excellence, so why deny them the athletic path to excellence instead?

Both are equally rewarding...one involves physical superiority, one involves mental superiority

both will help the child live an adult life comfortably, if not make them rich

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If it's getting this bad then let's pack up the game of baseball and quit it altogether. Competition is no longer an American thing. There's to many wussies and babies who don't want to play if someone can beat them. Back when I was nine I got up there and swung at the air because a boy threw faster than most but I didn't quit!! Yep America is raising a bunch of losers anymore.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
A parent wouldn't deny their child the academic path of excellence, so why deny them the athletic path to excellence instead?

True, but most parents don't know where to draw the line between just nurturing a talent and becoming obssessed with nurturing that talent. Greed is too powerful an obstacle for most people to overcome, even at the cost of their own child's emotional well-being.

Believe me, I see it at the golf course every weekend and it's painful watching all the hacks following and critiquing their child's every swing because they think their's is the next Eldrick Woods.

Peace

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It's the same everywhere, the whole "Give everyone a trophy just for showing up to the games" mentality. I remember playing pee wee hockey. If one team got too big a lead, say like 10-2 or something like that, then they stopped adding to the goals of the winning team untill the losing team scored a goal or two, cause they didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. This PC BS has to stop somewhere. in fact, trying to not offend everyone with everything is offending me. Let the kid play, then maybe something good will come out of your town, and you can be proud of it for once instead of making retarded rues that hinder the kids competative spirit.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Is anyone truly suprised at the location of this ridiculous decision. This city is quite well known for bizzare ideas. It's really the San Francisco of the East.

12,000 illegals granted amnesty in New Haven’s sanctuary.

Source: sacredcow.wordpress.com...

I'm telling you, this incident with the pitcher is another step closer to the downfall of the values and principals this country was founded on.

Taking our ball and going home!! Geesh.

Becker

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join