It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TEXAS school thought to allow guns in school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   

www.thesun.co.uk...

A TEXAS school is thought to be the first in the US to allow guns in the classroom.
The 110-student school, near the border with Oklahoma, is 30 minutes from the nearest police station and officials say the weapons will ensure protection for their pupils.

School Superintendent David Thweatt of the Harrold Independent School District, said the move was designed to stop a crazed gunman rampaging through the classrooms and turning them into a bloodbath
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-8-2008 by asala]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Only in America! what next cs spray handed to students for their own safety, just in case a terrorist comes into their school.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Yeah, but that's why they are free.
They have the right to bear arms embedded in The Constitution which allows them to kill each other and themselves at an alarming rate.

www.gun-control-network.org...

www.scribd.com...

To think that Americans tend to ridicule us Brits because we do not have the right to bear arms.
Sorry, but they are welcome to it.
That is one freedom I don't really care about.

When will they learn?

en.wikipedia.org...

Sure, we had Dunblane, which seems to be an isolated incident, thankfully;
en.wikipedia.org...

As you say, only in America.

[edit on 27/8/08 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
ROFLMAO!!!

Ya...sure...ok.

"places this one in the tabloid folder"

Cheers!!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Yeah, it will work out just great when someone really does go ballistic. One kid pulls gun, another kid pulls gun on him, 3rd kid walks into the room and shoots "good guy".

Fun.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Only in America! what next cs spray handed to students for their own safety, just in case a terrorist comes into their school.

LOL.

So guns are the problem not criminals right?

And do you really believe if guns are outlawed the criminals will obey that law?

Further, so you think that having LAW Abiding citizens carrying a gun in school is no deterrent to a would be killer plotting to go on a shooting spree in schools?

Further do you not care enough about the safety of children that you would support DISARMING a law abiding citizen whom might be in the position to stop the murder of children by exercising his or her RIGHTS and protecting those by stopping the killer?

Just because you think it;s righteous and peaceful to to have no guns aroud are you that naive to believe that criminals will follow suit?

The pease symbol is nothing more than a chicken footprint.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

SALUTES!!!!

Indeed...since when did a criminal ever abide by the law???!!! LMAO!!!!!

Cheers!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Further do you not care enough about the safety of children that you would support DISARMING a law abiding citizen whom might be in the position to stop the murder of children by exercising his or her RIGHTS and protecting those by stopping the killer?

I think instead of fighting fire with fire, they first need to understand why weapons are being brought into the schools by pupils in the first place and maybe tackle that issue before issuing teachers guns just of the off chance that a lone gun man might open fire.

I think this action will only provoke more kids to carry weapons i.e schoollboy mentality "if its ok for the teachers then why can't I"

We shall see.........

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Many places in Texas are starting to allow Teachers a concealed weapon permit with proper training.

This isn't about protecting the kiddies, it's about the political aspiration of members of the school administration. The old "I'm a tough guy, thus I qualified to lead" gambit. Very prevalent in the SW. Every politician starts at the school board level. Or perhaps pandora's box has been opened and
gunplay in the streets of Texas will once again prevail. Thinning the heard might not be such a bad idea afterall.

Like all ill conceived ideas, this stupid proposal will be shot down [excuse the pun] as soon as an innocent is killed either by accident or when blood runs high at a AAA football game and a ref is killed for a bad call. Or the fans decide to take out their frustrations on the opposing team or fans.
Football In Texas is a Religion and there have been many wars fought over religion. Lone Star, Jack Danials, Tequila, football and guns don't mix.

Personally I wouldn't trust the teachers I know with a stick. And to think
they could protect the kiddies from a psycho killers is ludicrous. A couple of determined 6 graders could strip the teach of his piece and do some real damage.

Accidental killings and killings the result of alcohol and guns will far and away outweigh the psycho armed marauder.

I'll bet the cops are thrilled for there to be more guns on the street.

Here's a thought; actually use logic on this, follow it thru to it's logical conclusion and get back to me.....

I'm not anti gun, I have plenty of em; Longtime member of the NRA too.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If I thought everyone in my school had a gun, I'd change schools, fast.

Honestly, what happened to having a fight to solve the issues? Is that not civilized enough any more?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think to actually entertain the notion of allowing guns to schools albeit teachers, totally sums up the mind state of America.

It would be very interesting to see the statistics of school shootings in Texas once this has been implemented.

What is it with America and Guns?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Personally I'd like to see this happen in all schools. Especially in cities. I would've felt a lot safer in HS if there had been armed teachers and NTAs around incase someone did bring a gun or a knife into school and tried to use it. A year ago I was told by my friend who went to a school in my neighborhood which is one of the worst in Philadelphia that someone at her school who was pregnant at the time was stabbed in the belly and lost the child. Maybe that could've been prevented if a teacher was armed and able to prevent it. Although, it may not have happened infront of a teacher, I know that school is like a prison, and there are metal detectors on every school-rent-a-cop and walk through scanners that the students go through every morning.

And yes, it would be interesting to see the statistics of school shootings in the school district in texas after this has been implemented. I'd think they'd go down. School shootings are actually a rare occurance in the US as it is, and when they do happen it is big news. So I think having this would further reduce that rate.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Two posts about this already, with many many pages of pros and cons.

And there are many pros and cons, not just cons

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Three now and mainly cons

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Three now and mainly cons

The way i lok at it, if the teacher is properly trained(Which they will be, it has been pointed out a million times that to get a conceal carry permit in texas you have to go through proper firearm training) then yes this could be used to save lives.

Yes, it oculd also be used for bad. Personally if i want to kil someone i don't need a gun, so if a teacher decides they want to kill a student, there are plenty of ways to do that without a gun. 30 minutes from a cop is a long time to wait if someone is shooting up a school. Alternative? bring back paddling, maybe the little brats that always want to shoot their classmates cause they are spoiled little loners will think twice.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
As a boy,not too long ago, I remember taking my loaded rifle to school after hunting in the A.M. and leaning it against the wall next to the teacher. No one thought twice about it.
I also recall that there was something strange about a boy that did not carry a pocketknife with him at all times. We did not have wild gun shootouts, drive by shootings, or willful stabbings.
It was a part of who we were. Yes even as an adolescent we understood and respected the power we had and did not even think about using it even if we disagreed or got into a fight.
The problem today is not the tool it is the toolholder. Guns really don't kill people only people kill people.
For those of you out there that say that they are designed only to kill, you need to fully understand the purpose of firearms. Most military firearms are designed to wound. [the .223 cal AR15] A wounded man eliminates three from the battlefield a dead one only one.
We really need to look at changing the culture of today, not adding more laws to regulate behavior. People can get along if they choose, they just choose not to.
Besides an armed society is a polite society. For those that believe that this will start mass killings in the schools, I suggest you study Kennesaw GA. It is required that all people own and know how to use a firearm. Crime dropped dramatically almost overnight.
I think too many of you go by what the media agenda says and not by what the facts are. My firearms have killed fewer people than Ted Kennedy's car by the way. Maybe we should outlaw senators?

respectfully
reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
In reply to reluctant prawn

For those of you out there that say that they are designed only to kill, you need to fully understand the purpose of firearms. Most military firearms are designed to wound.

Wow you just opened up a tin of worms now, I am afraid to say I and the families of the deceased soldiers of Iraq would definately disagree with that statement.

I understand what you are saying but primarily guns were designed and manufactured for one purpose only and that is to kill and eliminate the opposition.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916

The way i lok at it, if the teacher is properly trained(Which they will be, it has been pointed out a million times that to get a conceal carry permit in texas you have to go through proper firearm training) then yes this could be used to save lives.

Firearm training is all well and good but having gone thru the teaching block at the University, teaching for a couple of years at the mid school level.

Teachers are the last people we want packin around abunch of kids.
Teaching is a highstress vocation. From the administration, parents and
mostly from the kids. Some kids will taunt the teachers unmercifully.
"Shoot me, dip s**t" "Think your better than me, just cause you have a gun"

I have seen teachers become mental over a stolen donut. And you think
a solution will be to have them armed? A majority of the teachers I know
are suffering from problems with self medicating, tranquilizing with alcohol, tweek, Valium, lorazapam etc. They now require students to take
random Pee test. Give the test to the teachers and I can guarantee you most
teachers will not be allowed a permit to carry, especially if alcohol abuse is a factor.

A problem that will crop up without a doubt is teachers killing their spouse or kids when they get home. Let me tell ya, a hard day in class isn't the best thing to promote maritial bliss.

More guns in school is a prescription for disaster especially in todays culture of violence, distrust and macho swaggerin, tough guy attitudes.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I graduated 2 years ago from a school about this size in Oklahoma, less than 200 kids in 7th-12th grade all in one building. Although knives and guns were obviously against the rules, being farm kids we still walked around with clip-on pocket knives and often had a rifle or shotgun in our trucks. Guess what? No stabbings or shootings ever occured there. Sure there were fights but no one ever pulled a knife or went out to their truck to get a gun.

I know we are moronic backward hicks but at least we don't have to have security guards and metal detectors in our schools.

Maybe its just that sophisticated urban "culture" that leads to extreme violence.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I think instead of fighting fire with fire, they first need to understand why weapons are being brought into the schools by pupils in the first place and maybe tackle that issue before issuing teachers guns just of the off chance that a lone gun man might open fire.

I think this action will only provoke more kids to carry weapons i.e schoollboy mentality "if its ok for the teachers then why can't I"

We shall see.........

Okay so next time we hear of a school shooting, instead of sending cops we'll send in psychiatrists to see what the troubled kid is thinking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join