It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know what really grinds my gears....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
:bash: You know what really grinds my gears? How every time there is an argument on ATS about something, some people always think they KNOW everything already in the world! There are unlimited possibilities people! Theory of Knowledge. Everything is relative! That simple.

Then there are all the cliche remarks like.....

"open up your mind" & "wake up" or "wake up America!"

Lots of people seem to have these relative notions of uniqueness, thinking they are the special chosen ones to inform the feeble minded. Trust me. I get caught up in it too, especially since ANIME writers preys on this type of motif in their plots. Anyone who watches a crap load of anime knows what I mean! Goku, Vash the Stampede, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach, etc.

Anyway, this is how pointless arguments start, when we all think we know some relative "truth" that only we know. :bnghd: Instead of arguments we need discussions in which solutions are put forth to improve our current situation.

P.S. You all can add some things that "really grind your gears..."!!!!

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Why should I add anything?

Tell you what...I'll add a flag...a fave...a star...even you as a friend for the following comment

How every time there is an argument on ATS about something, some people always think they KNOW everything already in the world! There are unlimited possibilities people!

Done...

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
You know what really grinds my gears....

You America, *&%# You!

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
That is funny. I just remembered it was from Family Guy.

I guess I was looking for people to agree or at least fill in the blank but whatever.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
what grinds my gears...........hmmmmmmmmm

we all have something that grinds our gears, for me though ?

someone telling me what grinds their gears.:bnghd:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Well that why they call it the rant forum. To expel some anger correct?

I respect your anger.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
it was meant more light hearted, not angry. thats why i put the smiley in there

but thanks for the respect, that in turn is worthy of respect

something else that grinds my gears..... friends that claim to be your best friend and blow you off to go party when you were suppose to hang out:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81
it was meant more light hearted, not angry. thats why i put the smiley in there

but thanks for the respect, that in turn is worthy of respect

something else that grinds my gears..... friends that claim to be your best friend and blow you off to go party when you were suppose to hang out:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

Jeese. I know exactly what you mean with the friends' problem. I really do not support the whole best friend title but one of my "good friends" did that all the time too me! Now it basically is me following him everywhere he goes and to hang out with everyone I befriended through him. So in the end, it turned out alright.

Another thing that "really grinds my gears" are people who presume to know you and then judge you off of one day of hanging out! That and what happens in large highschools is similar! :bnghd:

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

good one, now that you mention it, that really really grinds my gears as well.

some people get stuck in high school

i for one refuse to go and do the things my buddy does so, oh well if hes my friend then i have a thougsand more just like him

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

good one, now that you mention it, that really really grinds my gears as well.

some people get stuck in high school

i for one refuse to go and do the things my buddy does so, oh well if hes my friend then i have a thougsand more just like him

Same. I refuse to drink. Basically I will drink every once in a blue moon. :w:

I seem to interact very well without the alcohol consumption!

(at least by the way people see me)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
You know what really grinds my gears? People responding to a thread after reading just the inital post, even putting "I didn't read the thread but,." in the post! How about some respect for content and context! :bash: I guess acknowledging your ignorance and doing nothing about it is the same as denying it, huh! And you know what may be worse? People responding to those posts, saying "you didn't even read the thread, the answer is back there!", thereby putting the answer even further 'back there' and diminishing the chances of people reading it forever! Oh noooooes!

So how about a rating system like the stars, but then on a scale of "read the frigging thread" - a rating which you could apply to each post .. and when the score goes up, the background-color of that specific post approaches the color of the font so it get's harder to read - e.g. the more people thought you should've read the thread before putting that garbage out, the more white the background becomes, therefore making it harder to read the white letters.. how about .. that..

Heh. I'm all ranted out now
Thanks!

P.s.
OP, totally agree with you on your initial post!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
excellent rant, i love it.

you know something else that grinds my gears.

people that start a thread and ramble on and on making it impossible to keep your attention span to read the darn thing. less is more

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by scraze
You know what really grinds my gears? People responding to a thread after reading just the inital post, even putting "I didn't read the thread but,." in the post! How about some respect for content and context! :bash: I guess acknowledging your ignorance and doing nothing about it is the same as denying it, huh! And you know what may be worse? People responding to those posts, saying "you didn't even read the thread, the answer is back there!", thereby putting the answer even further 'back there' and diminishing the chances of people reading it forever! Oh noooooes!

So how about a rating system like the stars, but then on a scale of "read the frigging thread" - a rating which you could apply to each post .. and when the score goes up, the background-color of that specific post approaches the color of the font so it get's harder to read - e.g. the more people thought you should've read the thread before putting that garbage out, the more white the background becomes, therefore making it harder to read the white letters.. how about .. that..

Heh. I'm all ranted out now
Thanks!

P.s.
OP, totally agree with you on your initial post!

I have to admit. I did it once but will never do it again. Just does not feel right when you skip through the entire thread, not reading a possible answer. :shk:

Yeah. I wish there was more ways to respond I.E. rate threads or individual posts. Maybe similar to youtube system?

In addition,
you know what really grinds my gears...? How some if not most are just talk and no action/solution seeking. Petty arguments are hard to resist but damn. IDK, we are running around in circles.

Anyway, thanks for liking/agreeing with the post!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

Samsies. Concise is more appeasing. Sometimes I guess its not possible but man come on. Shorten it already!

If its worth the information then I guess its okay.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Just wanted to add.....

When people say...."open your eyes"

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
know what really grinds my gears.

When I'm at the drive through and I ask for ketchup and the person goes here you go (dink) drops one measly ketchup packet into your bag tosses the bag at you and expects you to be happy with that.

I say they start making ketchup packets in real sizes that are actually useful. one that is like 3 times bigger than the ones currently around.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
What really grinds my gears? When people incessantly go on and on about a topic, which in turn gets off-topic, and leads to further off-topic posts. I hate it when people tell me to take a chill pill. I will not take a chill pill, I am perfectly capable of calming down when it's necessary. I only get angry when it's absolutely necessary to get angry! Also, I can't stand it when people tell me I won't get a job (background: I'm a philosophy major and every time someone asks me my major, they continue by saying what can you do with a degree in philosophy?). If my life goal was to get a job I wouldn't take philosophy, idiots! I obviously did it because I really enjoy the subject and I find it to be the best way to get to certain truths which have bothered me for years. Last, but certainly not least, I can't stand it when people write long paragraphs without any spaces in between certain sentences, which is precisely the reason I wrote this entire response in one bulky paragraph which more than likely nobody read, because it's annoying...and I don't blame you! To be continued..:w:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Yes I hear that BASSPLYR.

But you know what is really grinding my gears tonight?

Just got done watching the Selena Movie and actually was tearing up. I never realized how beautiful some of her songs were. Anyway, What really grinds them is the lady that shot her. It seems there was no provocation, other than her continual change in story of why she pulled the trigger! :shk:

It really saddens me when vivid, spirited people are killed for no reason.

[edit on 18-10-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Yeah that was a sad tragedy what happened to her.

So true though that often brilliant and caring people are killed, and usually for no good reason other than that the person pulling the trigger was completely pathological.

Today something really pissed me off.

A fire truck caravan was coming down the street with it's sirens on. Everybody was pulled over to let the trucks pass. as they went through the intersection they paused you know to look both ways. behind these brave men was some (no words are appropriate for T&C) driving a mercedes. he wasn't pulling over, he was using them to get through traffic. When the slowed down at the intersection the guy throws his hands up in disgust in a "hurry up" gesture, then passes them on the left on the incoming traffic lane and speeds off. driving past the fire trucks.

THAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS!!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR

Today something really pissed me off.

A fire truck caravan was coming down the street with it's sirens on. Everybody was pulled over to let the trucks pass. as they went through the intersection they paused you know to look both ways. behind these brave men was some (no words are appropriate for T&C) driving a mercedes. he wasn't pulling over, he was using them to get through traffic. When the slowed down at the intersection the guy throws his hands up in disgust in a "hurry up" gesture, then passes them on the left on the incoming traffic lane and speeds off. driving past the fire trucks.

THAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS!!!!

Maybe he was associated with them perchance? Highly unlikely but maybe he was a worried family member?

If not he was exploiting the good volunteers of the fire department.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join