It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong quake hits Siberia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
There's a fault line passing through the middle of Lake Bajkal. Quakes are common there. Click my link to EMSC in my previous post. Click on maps, and see the fault line.

edit to add a link to a map: Here. And it was a 6.3, not a 9.

[edit on 2008/8/27 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

technically you mentioned 2 different scales - Richter is a Magnitude scale whilst the MSK is an intensity scale - the USA themselves use the Modified Mercalli scale and Richter scale when describing erthquakes

so a 9 on the Richter scale would be felt around the world , a 9 on the MSK scale (similar to a 9 on the MM scale) isn`t quite as devastating

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Did you see what I posted about scales, the Russians said it was a 9. I think what may have happened is that the Russians were referencing their scale, which is different than the Richter scale. A 6.3 on our scale would be around an 8 or 9 on their scale.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Yup, I saw that. Somebody must have mixed up the scales, since the article says "9 on the Richter". Strong quake, but not major or great...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Europe uses another scale called the European Macroseismic Scale , which itself is based upon the MSK which itself is based upon the Mercalli scale.

The scale quantifies the effects of an earthquake on the Earth's surface, humans, objects of nature, and man-made structures on a scale of I through XII, with I denoting a weak earthquake and XII one that causes almost complete destruction.

as opposed to the Richter scale which quantifies the energy released

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I can't help but notice the coincidence that as our tensions rise with Russia, they just happen to suffer a huge quake. A HAARP shot across the bow?

Just crazy nonsense, but I will admit that my mind went there.

thats what i thought too... same thing happened when tension rose with China...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Hehehe, as long as we're speculating, the quake was around 100-120 KMs away from Tunguska - as the crow flies.
Seriously though, thank you for pointing out the difference between scales. I learn something new every day!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I can't help but notice the coincidence that as our tensions rise with Russia, they just happen to suffer a huge quake. A HAARP shot across the bow?

Just crazy nonsense, but I will admit that my mind went there.

Could very well have been a slap down. The problem with Haarp is everyone knows where its at and how perfect the array has to be. Its a pretty fragile weapon to try much with it.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Personally, I don't think it was an act of HAARP. I still believe that when earthquakes keep happening at a depth of: 10km (6.2mi) that there might be some evidence of HAARP, but who's to say. It's just really random that this number keeps popping up all across the globe.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Living in Cali, when I first saw 9 on the richter mentioned, it piqued my interest. Glad to read that it was of a lesser magnitude.

Man are there some deep rabbit holes around here.
The HAARP story is pretty interesting to me considering all of the unknowns and the words like radio frequency, high voltage and electromagnetism. I kept expecting John Hutchinson's name to come up somewhere in the various links I visited(maybe it woulda been on my next click had I kept going).

Anyways...yeah, who knows, right?

I do have a question for some of you who are no doubt smarter than myself. As much as I'd love to deny ignorance, I have to get outside.

Can anyone tell me if these graphs are fishy or if it's just the result of some being in more remote locations and, thus, being less prone to the drone of electronic interference around major cities in Alaska?

Magnetometer Chain

Check all stations(minus Trapper Creek as it has no info), all traces for the last month with a 500 nT plot scale.

To me, it looks the "geomagnetic storminess" as they call it, is either greater at the HAARP facility, or maybe it is just better able to take these readings due to it's isolation?

Cheers everyone and have a nice day.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
If the earth has the magnetic poles shifting, that could account for more earthquakes and volcanos.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Well I hope Russia would be ready for a magnitude 9 temblor. I think Medvedev spoke too soon about them being ready for "anything" On a second thought, doesn't it now move on to other parts of the world. It seems like it does, so get ready for a very strong quake or several in other parts of the world!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Maybe I am remembering something else, but is this region not known to have some rather mysterious and quite ancient ruins?

I remember there being this legend of a castle beneath a lake somewhere in Russia, something along the lines of Avalon or somesuch. I'm pretty sure it was Baikal.

Sounds like something might be waking up?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The power of earthquakes is 'exponential' A nine would be quite the dickens. I pity anyone who lived or not thru that. A HAARP shot across the bow. Obviously highly rated response my friend. Entirely possible, and probable. In a low populated area, for effect. [edit on 8/28/2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 8/28/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I would not put it past them to use HARRP to send a message to Russia back down or we will hit you where it hurt's,but the bear is strong and it will only make them really ticked off if it was HARRP.

With every thing going on in our world we are seeing some troubling times

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Chernobyl powered there own HAARP. I don't think our extrastellar space symbios is not going to go very well.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Under pressure. I found it interesting the reps want to deliver nasa shuttles beyond 2010. Because our ties with Russia are so tenuous.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
from what i've read, russia's scalar capacity makes haarp look like child's play. ive read that they have been working on this tech. for decades, while nobody else could make it work.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Earthquakes alone do very little damage to people, even if it is a 9. Deaths are usually caused by buildings collapsing, damaged infrastructure and fire/ disease as secondary damage. Russia is large and considerably baron, so its no surprise the quake went with no real damage.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Definitely HAARP no doubt about it!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join