It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong quake hits Siberia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Strong quake hits Siberia- 9 on the richter scale

www.alertnet.org

MOSCOW, Aug 27 (Reuters) - An intense earthquake measuring nine on the Richter scale hit the Lake Baikal area of eastern Siberia on Wednesday, triggering reports of panic, but there were no casualties or major damage, officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27/8/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
A Nine?! That is a freaking powerful quake. Any ideas or thoughts? Siberia already is a pretty odd place.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27/8/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

but there were no casualties or major damage, officials said.

What!!??!! A 9 and there are no casualties or Major damage?? Unheard of!!!

-Kdial1

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Thats what I was thinking, that sounds completely crazy. Even crazier is tha fact that Russia was thinking of putting a nuclear reactor there.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I can't help but notice the coincidence that as our tensions rise with Russia, they just happen to suffer a huge quake. A HAARP shot across the bow?

Just crazy nonsense, but I will admit that my mind went there.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
According to IRIS, (www.iris.edu...), it was only a 6.3

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a 9 is 100 times more powerful than a 8 and a 8 would wipe most citys, so what are we talking about here....

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

were either talking about a 9 on the richter scale or Reuter's alertnet not being able to tell the difference between a 6 and a 9.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
So what is it 9 or 6.3?

USGS is calling it a 6.3

earthquake.usgs.gov...

-Kdial1

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
I can't help but notice the coincidence that as our tensions rise with Russia, they just happen to suffer a huge quake. A HAARP shot across the bow?

Just crazy nonsense, but I will admit that my mind went there.

If it was it does not matter. The Russian Bear is impervious to most things...call me a sympathizer or whatever, but I've got much respect for those people that live there (in the 1980s you all would request that I be tired for high treason for such an admission). Incredibly harsh, incredibly strong. This Russian girl says "poop" sexier than anyone ever could.

ru.youtube.com...

So, yeah, no damages, ride that "poop" out. Russia is tough.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This must be a typo. A mag 9 would never be announced as "strong". They would use a stronger word, if you know what I mean. Anyway, nothing on USGS or EMSC on that magnitude, but I found a 6.8 at Lake Bajkal. I bet that's the quake in question.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

The Russians are apparently saying it was a 9 even though the USGS says it was only 6. Weird.

Quake hits Siberia, first reports say no dead

The spokesman said that on the Richter scale, the tremor measured an intensity of nine, although both the Hong Kong Observatory and the United States Geological Survey recorded it as measuring 6.3.

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yeah, I believe it was a warning shot too. What are the chances of a 9.0 and no casualties or structural damage. WOW.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
This is really weird, the Russians are claiming at the epicenter it was a 9 and an 8 at the Lake's Shore like it was concentrated somehow.

The Emergencies Ministry spokesman said that close to the shore of Lake Baikal, where a major pulp and paper plant is located, the tremor measured eight on the Richter scale.

What would cause something like that? Powerful explosions do something like that, but no where near a 9 or 8 on the richter scale. As far as I know, nukes dont even do that. This is really weird.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

According to preliminary data of the Baikal branch of the Geophysical Service of the Siberian department of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAN), the earth tremor in the epicentre was measuring eight points on the 12-point scale and in Irkutsk - up to six points.

www.itar-tass.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
an awesome technology weaponized that we dont know about

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I think I realize what may of happened.

The Russians dont use the Richter scale.

They use the Medvedev-Sponheuer-Karnik scale
en.wikipedia.org...

On the hand it all could be a conspiracy and were just responding to Russia's communication (The FAA incident) yesterday.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Star and flag for you!

9 is HUGE! interesting timeing!

[edit on 27-8-2008 by DarksDeception]

[edit on 27-8-2008 by DarksDeception]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
So anyone know how to take the HAARP down?

Electromagnetic? I don't like this HAARP, it's like something out of a superman movie. Can't see this thing helping mankind...

I say death to the HAARP.

And have a nice day!

Z

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
why siberia though?

shot across the bow????????

top topics

<<   2 >>

join