It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police slam CodePink protester to the ground

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
As usual with these sort of videos you don't see the entire thing. You don't see what led to the police man losing his cool like that.

The woman could have been hurling abuse/violence and the policeman reacted to it.

It's a sickening thing to see though.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I have to say that's pretty scary. I live in Canada and if that happened here there would be people jumping all over the cops. I love how everybody just steps back and does nothing. You guys in the states have some real problems on your hands. And from what I have been witnessing it's only going to get worse.

The fact that nobody even has any regard for their fellow man sickens me. The worst part is, these cops are "normal" people like you and me. And they don't seem to give a crap about anybody. What could this cop possibly accomplish by nailing that chick to the ground. If he's going to go that far, why didn't he just stomp the hell out of her and finish her off?

Good luck my friends to the south, you're gonna need it.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I can't believe the number or people who keep trying to excuse this. The police work for us, if they arrest us there are rules to follow, they can't go beating the crap out of you, whether you said something to them or not.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Ok, I get it now.
I just looked up the 1968 DNC in Chicago,
Wikipedia says;

The 1968 Democratic National Convention of the U.S. Democratic Party was held at the International Amphitheatre in Chicago, Illinois, from August 26 to August 29, 1968, for the purpose of choosing the Democratic nominee for the 1968 U.S. presidential election.[1]

1968 already had been a tumultuous year for the United States, with the assassinations of Martin Luther King, Jr. in April and Senator Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY) in June during his campaign for the Democratic nomination, and widespread protests against the Vietnam War. The convention achieved notoriety because of rioting between protesters and police, and the generally chaotic atmosphere of the event. The turmoil was widely publicized by the mass media on-hand for the convention, resulting in a nationwide debate about the convention and leading to a flood of articles and books about the event.

The keynote speaker was Daniel Inouye, a U.S. senator from Hawaii.[2]

So you kids don't really know what happened back then, you have no clue which is why you can be so nonchalant about it now.

Now it makes sense to me. Your history has been deleted. It was much more than unrest between protestors and policemen. People were killed for wanting to bring attention to some basic rights.

This is why some of you can be humorous about a girl being brutalized by a cop, a public servant. You don't really know how bad it really was or could get again.

Sad, so sad.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Mmm, as someone with many, many years in the LE business, I object to what happened here.

Short and sweet, since I didn't understand the audio too well, I don't care what she said to the officer, he has a responsibility to control his temper. He didn't. He used excessive force on a fairly small woman. I mean she hit the ground good. He should face some form of discipline for that. He was wrong.

Plucking her out of an interview with the media ex post facto was complete BS. A good attorney will get that thrown out in a heartbeat. That is just harassment to intimidate her. I'm glad everything was taped and made it onto the Internet. 'Nuff said.

I don't know what this Pink thing is about and I don't care. When you put on a badge and a uniform you put on a robe of heavy responsibility. Unfortunately, despite the rise in media attention, this robe is given to more and more people who are unfit for the position. I don't know why this is happening, but it is and the public is paying the price for it.

We should be seeing less of this kind of thing. Instead, we are seeing more of it. I'm starting to wonder if we've passed the point of no return.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth
Mmm, as someone with many, many years in the LE business, I object to what happened here.

Short and sweet, since I didn't understand the audio too well, I don't care what she said to the officer, he has a responsibility to control his temper. He didn't. He used excessive force on a fairly small woman. I mean she hit the ground good. He should face some form of discipline for that. He was wrong.

Plucking her out of an interview with the media ex post facto was complete BS. A good attorney will get that thrown out in a heartbeat. That is just harassment to intimidate her. I'm glad everything was taped and made it onto the Internet. 'Nuff said.

I don't know what this Pink thing is about and I don't care. When you put on a badge and a uniform you put on a robe of heavy responsibility. Unfortunately, despite the rise in media attention, this robe is given to more and more people who are unfit for the position. I don't know why this is happening, but it is and the public is paying the price for it.

We should be seeing less of this kind of thing. Instead, we are seeing more of it. I'm starting to wonder if we've passed the point of no return.

So glad to hear a rational voice.
At least there is some hope. Someone else understands the role of enforcement.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
COPS are nothing more than gangsters. Yes you may have a FEW decent ones but a majority are nothing more than henchmen for the biggest organized Crrime syndicate in the world.

What's the difference between what they do and what the mafia soldiers do??? Nothing.

To be honest I actually have more respect for the mafia because they tell it like it is anddo what they believe in and that's why people don't mess w/them. Our gov't makes people like this believe they have rights, so they go out and protest then this is what happens.

Everyone needs to wake up and realize that protesting iss useless and unfortunately VIOLENCE is the only action which gets peoples attention.Why do you think ALL World Gov't use violence.

Peace, as nice as it would be will NEVER be on this earth. So either everyone needs to wake up and stop protesting and take action or we can all just sit here and poast as we continue to be raped and beaten of our LIVES.

Also to adress the issue. A few people posted about the video and it could've been edited and we don't know if she supposedly assaulted him earlier. To clarify this, if she in any way did anything to him he,as soon as he hit her to the ground, would have been right on top of her arresting her which wasn't the case.

Also for anyone who thinks he'll face disciplinary action. You don't really believ that, do you? Yes he should but this is America. Our slave masters do as they wish w/out repercussion.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by 19DCW71]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I was there, in person, watching this all occur from across the street. I did not try to be there, in fact, I am trying to avoid downtown like the plague this week. However, I had to drop off some plans at the city engineers office and had to walk about 10 blocks after finally finding parking.

On my way back to the car, I saw a man being arrested on the ground by about 5(ish) cops who were literally surrounded by people wearing pink clothes and SCREAMING at the cops from about 2 feet away with a bullhorn.
More cops are called.

Being human, I decided to watch from across the street.

This video posted here is highly edited and conveniently starts just after the bullhorn screaming by the woman who got knocked over. Just seconds before the video starts, that woman is standing 2 feet in front of that cop, pointing a bullhorn at his face and screaming all sorts of obscenities about them.

The officer told her to back up and stop using the bullhorn. At that point SHE ACTUALLY STEPPED CLOSER (as in, right up to his face, I thought she was gonna try to head-butt him the way she did it, seriously) and said "I'm not gonna bullhorn again", or something close to that. The officer responded to that woman directly disobeying a legally given command and rushing up on him in a threatening manner.

That woman was not hurt at all. Not even a little bit. Other protesters were actually telling her to stay down and act hurt because it , I'm quoting what I heard now, " It will look better on Youtube if you look like your hurt, don't move."

The whole thing looked like the protesters wanted to cops to get violent and had their minds made up to escalate until they did so they could get some good footage.

What I really noticed was the abundance of cameras around that one spot. I know there are a lo of camera downtown right now, but there were a LOT right in that spot. It looked like the line of photogs at a red carpet celeb event.

When she got up I thought the fun was over and left before she got arrested.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Tiloke]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
reply to post by Blaine91555

I wouldn't say "Do it again" is a threatening statement, and as he needs to uphold a code of conduct as a servant of the public, a police officer, he also has the duty as a grown man to not smash a young girls face in with a billy club. Call me crazy, but I don't think any man should use that kind of force to get their point across to a woman. An absolute shocking display of force by the toughest guy ever.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by DeadFlagBlues]

Ok, so no man should ever use force when dealing with a woman. So a 450 pound woman charging me with a knife and is bent on killing me i'm supposed to what, hug her? you want to attack me like a man, you will get treated like one.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

If this innocent cop felt so threatened, all he had to do was arrest herhow would you feel if this was someone you loved?

As far as you saying she wasn't hurt. How in God's name do you know that.Not to be rude so don't take it that way, but after that I am sure she could very easily have internal neck problems that even she doesn't know exist at that moment because of the adrenaline and shock.

I understand where you're comig from but still doesn't justify the actions or your medical opinion.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Nobody knows if the cop who delivered the whack was removed from the line. Id like to think the on-site supervisor did so. This use of force was unwarrented IMO. Arrest her or let her shout and sputter.

BUT my god what a bunch of ninny panzies we've become - disturbed by Code Pink,critical mass bike rides and public f-bombs?

If your mindless routines cant take such minor disruptions, youre dead to me allready. Theatrics aside, educate yourselves and be more kind, as that one annoying protestor could be you and your special cause someday - unless that is, you are the type who 'never' has a problem with the Matrix.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

"SINGLE ACTS OF TYRANNY MAY BE ASCRIBED TO THE ACCIDENTAL OPINION OF A DAY; BUT A SERIES OF OPPRESSIONS, BEGUN AT A DISTINGUISHED PERIOD, AND PURSUED UNALTERABLY THROUGH EVERY CHANGE OF MINISTERS (ADMINISTRATIONS) TOO PLAINLY PROVES A DELIBERATE, SYSTEMATIC PLAN OF REDUCING US TO SLAVERY." - Thomas Jefferson.

Some great replies in defense of Civil Rights. There is an unmistakable pattern of brutality by law enforcement in the U.S. and yet there has been no legislation or judicial ruling in support of our Constitutional rights. That's no accident; it's a plan being carried out to fruition.

So much for Operation Vampire Killer 2000, that supposed behind-the-scenes committment from law enforcement officers to up-hold the ideals of the Constitution in support of our free Republic. I guess we really are on our own.

Operation Vampire Killer

LET IT BE WELL UNDERSTOOD, WE PROTECTORS OR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE NOT ASKED FOR THIS BATTLE. IT IS OUR NATION'S ENEMIES WHO HAVE BROUGHT THIS FIGHT TO THE VERY DOOR OF EVERY GOOD AMERICAN.

BE IT RESOLVED:
• Our prayer and promise is to do all within our power, as faithful countrymen, to overthrow this evil, treasonous plan in a completely non-violent, lawful manner.
• Our sworn duty is to protect the people of this nation and its Constitutional, republican form of government from any enemy that would come against it.
• Our pledge is that WE WILL, BY EVERY MEANS GIVEN UNTO US, UPHOLD OUR OATHS AND FULFILL OUR SWORN DUTY TO OUR COUNTRYMEN.

Originally posted by lunchboxjunkie
The women got what she asked for, I don't see the problem here. Code Pink needs to get back in the kitchen and tend to there housework. Sometimes you need to smack a few bitches to get some respect.

I do think that knuckle-dragging opinions like the one quoted above add to this type of incident. The vitriole against Code Pink is seething in this thread. I tend to think it's because really men prefer that women just shut up and sit down. God forbid we should have opinions or speak them aloud with a bull horn. I wonder if the officer would have acted this way if the protester had been a guy.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiloke
I was there, in person, watching this all occur from across the street. I did not try to be there, in fact, I am trying to avoid downtown like the plague this week. However, I had to drop off some plans at the city engineers office and had to walk about 10 blocks after finally finding parking.

On my way back to the car, I saw a man being arrested on the ground by about 5(ish) cops who were literally surrounded by people wearing pink clothes and SCREAMING at the cops from about 2 feet away with a bullhorn.
More cops are called.

Being human, I decided to watch from across the street.

This video posted here is highly edited and conveniently starts just after the bullhorn screaming by the woman who got knocked over. Just seconds before the video starts, that woman is standing 2 feet in front of that cop, pointing a bullhorn at his face and screaming all sorts of obscenities about them.

The officer told her to back up and stop using the bullhorn. At that point SHE ACTUALLY STEPPED CLOSER (as in, right up to his face, I thought she was gonna try to head-butt him the way she did it, seriously) and said "I'm not gonna bullhorn again", or something close to that. The officer responded to that woman directly disobeying a legally given command and rushing up on him in a threatening manner.

That woman was not hurt at all. Not even a little bit. Other protesters were actually telling her to stay down and act hurt because it , I'm quoting what I heard now, " It will look better on Youtube if you look like your hurt, don't move."

The whole thing looked like the protesters wanted to cops to get violent and had their minds made up to escalate until they did so they could get some good footage.

What I really noticed was the abundance of cameras around that one spot. I know there are a lo of camera downtown right now, but there were a LOT right in that spot. It looked like the line of photogs at a red carpet celeb event.

When she got up I thought the fun was over and left before she got arrested.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by Tiloke]

you can clearly hear her say I wont do it again - and step back.
Your comments are clearly designed to tarnish the young woman and justify the actions of the police -

I have eyes and ears - you are talking crap - that much is without question.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916

Ok, so no man should ever use force when dealing with a woman. So a 450 pound woman charging me with a knife and is bent on killing me i'm supposed to what, hug her? you want to attack me like a man, you will get treated like one.

How interesting as there was not a 450lb woman charging with a knife, that you would engage in this type of comment. I fail to see your point, sir!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Not being funny but if i saw a copper do that, to a random woman, i can assure you he wont be going home tonight.

The seceond part of the clip, was actually the first in my opinon. and there was chance of conflcit. He got heavy handed, being used to people trying to scratch his face off. and would not be the responce from a fresh officer.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

"SINGLE ACTS OF TYRANNY MAY BE ASCRIBED TO THE ACCIDENTAL OPINION OF A DAY; BUT A SERIES OF OPPRESSIONS, BEGUN AT A DISTINGUISHED PERIOD, AND PURSUED UNALTERABLY THROUGH EVERY CHANGE OF MINISTERS (ADMINISTRATIONS) TOO PLAINLY PROVES A DELIBERATE, SYSTEMATIC PLAN OF REDUCING US TO SLAVERY." - Thomas Jefferson.

Some great replies in defense of Civil Rights. There is an unmistakable pattern of brutality by law enforcement in the U.S. and yet there has been no legislation or judicial ruling in support of our Constitutional rights. That's no accident; it's a plan being carried out to fruition.

So much for Operation Vampire Killer 2000, that supposed behind-the-scenes committment from law enforcement officers to up-hold the ideals of the Constitution in support of our free Republic. I guess we really are on our own.

Operation Vampire Killer

LET IT BE WELL UNDERSTOOD, WE PROTECTORS OR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE NOT ASKED FOR THIS BATTLE. IT IS OUR NATION'S ENEMIES WHO HAVE BROUGHT THIS FIGHT TO THE VERY DOOR OF EVERY GOOD AMERICAN.

BE IT RESOLVED:
• Our prayer and promise is to do all within our power, as faithful countrymen, to overthrow this evil, treasonous plan in a completely non-violent, lawful manner.
• Our sworn duty is to protect the people of this nation and its Constitutional, republican form of government from any enemy that would come against it.
• Our pledge is that WE WILL, BY EVERY MEANS GIVEN UNTO US, UPHOLD OUR OATHS AND FULFILL OUR SWORN DUTY TO OUR COUNTRYMEN.

Originally posted by lunchboxjunkie
The women got what she asked for, I don't see the problem here. Code Pink needs to get back in the kitchen and tend to there housework. Sometimes you need to smack a few bitches to get some respect.

I do think that knuckle-dragging opinions like the one quoted above add to this type of incident. The vitriole against Code Pink is seething in this thread. I tend to think it's because really men prefer that women just shut up and sit down. God forbid we should have opinions or speak them aloud with a bull horn. I wonder if the officer would have acted this way if the protester had been a guy.

The right wing of America - the Bastion of Misogyny.

Resistance to oppression should be a source of pride - the fact that people on this site can somehow condone the brutality of their fellow citizens is truly sad. Where will your heart be when your are alone and incarcerated, where will your filibustering be when you are sent to nowhere, the Gulags for being nothing more than you, white, black, Christian, Jew. How will you feel when it was you yourself who condoned your own demise, your own inhumane destruction at the hands of the dictatorial power crazed few ? When you look around at the pages of history, when you see skeletons piled up in trenches in Aushiwtz, the starvation in Eastern Europe, the Killing Fields of Cambodia, the slaughter in Rawanda, the genocide of the Australian natives - do you simply think Good! This horrendous brutality of people by those more powerful is as it should be ? Do you see this as a source of pride and how our world should be ?

There is great sadness and ignorance in the hearts of many on this board -

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
I can't believe the number or people who keep trying to excuse this. The police work for us, if they arrest us there are rules to follow, they can't go beating the crap out of you, whether you said something to them or not.

Im geussing youve never had a run in with the law. they dont follow rules when arresting you, if they so please they will stop off by a feild and beat the crap out of you, or slam your head into the top of the car when guiding you in, did you know that they can break your wrist with those handcuffs, actually snap them!, they even boast about it!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This is jsut like the "Don't Tase me bro" incident where it was POLICE BRUTALITY>>>>>>please.

Look, if you are going to protest, after ALL of the media coverage, the talk of the jails that were created, the media coverage of the amount of officers on hand...if this woman still wants to put herself in that situation there are only 2 reasons....wanting attention or baiting a cop for a photo op.

If that was my sister, who did many a protest at UF when she went there, I would tell her that she should have listened, and moved on. Where in the right to 'peacfully assemble' does it state that you can ignore law enforcement.

link

Now, it seems that she was arguing with an officer who was arresting someone else according to this article. That is called obstrcution of justice and she should have been arrested. You cannot do what she was doing and not expect a reaction. She should be lucky this is America or she would be dead. Look at the folks in Georgia right now if you think you have it hard in the US and your ability to protest.

How about these actions from these protestors you are protecting

www.denverpost.com...

the list goes on and on

Or how the Police distriuted this

www.denverpost.com...

Stating that you have the right to assemble but may be dispersed.

It is time to wake up and realize that it is not BUsh and Co who are destroying the country, but your own neighbors with their wreckless spending on homes they cannot afford, SUV's they cannot put gas in and 60 HDTV's. Stop blaming everyone but ourselves.....

Buy this woman a drink, tell her she stood up for what she believed in and go on to the next protest if you feel you can...

[edit on 27-8-2008 by esdad71]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by eaganthorn

Originally posted by Finn1916

How interesting as there was not a 450lb woman charging with a knife, that you would engage in this type of comment. I fail to see your point, sir!

My point was that deadflagblues stated that there was NO reason that a man should use force against a woman. I was stating that yes, there is in fact times when it is ok to hit a woman. It had nothing to do with the woman in the video, merely pointing out flaws in deadflagblues' logic.

[edit on 8/27/2008 by Finn1916]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I think it was a lack of common sense on her part that got her knocked down. Only a idiot would confront an armed police officer with a baton in his hand. She wanted attention, and she got it.

Today it's considered terroristic threatening to call a Law Enforcement Officer a name, getting in their face like that, is definitely a no-no. You reap what you sow..

[edit on 27-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join