It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Comet Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
did a little search on recent comet findings here on ATS and didn't find any threads related to this except for one of the anything that moves is nibiru crowd..

Huge Comet Discovered

A huge comet-like object has been spotted inside the orbit of Neptune. The object, at least 30 miles wide, is on the return leg of a 22,500-year journey around the sun, astronomers announced today.

Becker's team found 2006 SQ372 by applying a computer searching algorithm to data taken from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey II (SDSS II), which is tasked with finding supernova explosions billions of light-years away to measure the expansion of the universe

follow this link to full story..

i find this ones orbit interesting though.. i'm sorry i still don't get the img thing yet..don't really understand which links are safe to hotlink to.. anyway onward.. the following links shows the orbit of the comet next to the orbit of sedna.. notice the enlongated orbit of sedna and the orbit of the comet..

another source for the information says

First object seen from solar system's inner Oort cloud

Add yet another new class of objects to the solar system's growing bestiary – the first known visitor from the inner part of the Oort cloud. Many comets originate in the outer Oort cloud, a shell of icy bodies that surrounds the solar system.

now does that orbit remind anyone of another famous orbit never proved..

follow that story
here
.. the way im reading it this thing is on it's inbound voyage.. this one could be a special one for amature astronomers.. depending on speed we may have something cool to watch in a few years as it heads for perhelion..

all comments welcome.

daz__

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Cometlike object.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Even a simple search for 2006 SQ372 would have done it....
Good story still.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by daz__
the way im reading it this thing is on it's inbound voyage.. this one could be a special one for amature astronomers.. depending on speed we may have something cool to watch in a few years as it heads for perhelion..

all comments welcome.

daz__

Very well armed amateur astrophotographers maybe, amateur astronomers in general, no. The perihelion on this object is 24 AU. Current magnitude is 22. Distance is currently increasing, so the magnitude is slowing going up (getting dimmer). It's a glorified small trans-neptunian object with a rare origin, but I'm afraid it won't get much closer than neptune.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
cheerz for the link phage.
suppose if i wasn't so impatient i would have found it but never mind at least my hedding has the word comet in it..

cheers for the head up ngc.. i know what ya mean.. s**t was getting excited there for a moment but never mind i love learning and you advice is sound.. but at the same time things can change in the solar system.. comet holmes made a fair show of strength there last year so guess ya never know what might happen..

daz__

new topics

top topics

join