It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Suicides, Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I want to start a thread about an issue that is very personal to myself but one in which I'm sure you have all observed in the media. The topic I would like to discuss is the increase in suicides, particulary amongst young people.

As shocking as it seems but its almost gotten to the point where committing suicide is actually a fad and something young should actually do.

Now, in question to the older people on this board, more specifically older than me do you remeber suicide rates among young people in your generation as high as they are today ???

I have personally lost a very close friend and nearly lost another in the past two months, I don't know why this is or whats the driving force of this behaivour.

All I can say is that the two people in question were the least likely, in my oppinion to commit suicide or even self harm. They were both strong minded, stuborn individuals who would never say never and most of all would never quit.

Seem's to me that suicide is becoming a trend almost! Recently a 13 year old boy hung himself just up the road from where I live, now I'm not sure about you but when I was 13 I hardly knew what suicide was, nevermind how to actually go about it.

Your thoughts please.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
There was quite a few suicides in an area of Wales a while back but it seems to of died down now (no pun intended) sorry to hear of your friend, no-one knows why people do this but them selves, and all they leave behind is great pain, no matter how bad things are you gotta keep going, I actually plan on taking my life on my 62 birthday in some sort of crazy way that won't hurt anyone else, I'm not rotting in an NHS hospital thank you

[edit on 26-8-2008 by Pockets]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your story OP, my prayers are with you.

I think most young people (im 21 and sound 91 lol) today are put under insane amounts of stress, to them the newest trainers/sneekers are must haves or die. Ever heard someone say "If I don't get it i'll kill myself". The world is basically going to schitz, it's really hard to put it in words to describe what I mean.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I agree with "Renegade Phsycho" about the pressures young people get stuck with, competing with friends in sports, school etc.

And recently I was stopped in town by the samaritans and they said the biggest killer of males was something like 18 to 35 was suicide.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Well, looking at it objectively, life is a kind of ongoing horror, where we're trapped in flimsy, easily broken bodies motivated by pain and fear. There are a few brief moments of enjoyment, but mostly they have to do with a temporary cessation of the pain. Eventually, we'll all either slowly or quickly decay, or be killed in a random accident. All of our efforts in life will ultimately mean nothing as we die and fade from the memories of our friends and family. Even the great Alexander, conqueror of the world, died and turned to dust.

I mean, when you think about it, life sucks horribly, and there's no way to honestly say that it will get better enough to make it worth sticking around for any length of time. It's all over soon, anyway.

The most annoying thing about teen suicides (or any suicides, for that matter) is that it makes us think about these things, ourselves, and wakes us up to the horror that we usually are successful in forgetting most of the time.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear of your losses. I have worked with high school children and spoken to quite a few who said they were unhappy in their lives, had difficulty with pressure, and many who felt unwanted or unheard. While it is not even remotely easy to explain why such things seem to happen, having someone who is willing to be a friend and to just listen sometimes can make all the difference in the world.

The fact that you have taken the time to post on this issue clearly shows your concern and caring. Continue to look out for your friends and those around you. Show support as I am willing to bet you already do. Maybe one day someone who is frightened and a bit lost will reach out to you and allow you to help. Unfortunately, that may be the only way to stem the tide of the "epidemic" of suicide among those of all ages. If enough people care then maybe fewer people will feel they have no other alternative.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
In the part of yorkshire i'm from it seem's to happen alot more often now, my best friend took his life at 23, 3 years bak in sept and like u mention was the least of all likely to do that. Then again, another two friend's have come close and two of my friend's brother's did it about a year back. Is it the UK it's hapening the most ?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

To say it is a trend or a fad would be a bit of an overstatement IMO.

I think that if there is an increase, it would be mostly due to the fact that a lot of these kids are being pressured to fit into molds that they can't ever fit into or because they have been so spoiled that they are not realizing that life is about the lessons, not about getting what you want.

It is sad that kids aren't taught how to deal with the often very harsh downside of life in ways that can effectively shape them into honest, fair, and confident adults.

I just can't believe though that most of the suicides are being done because of a trend. If they are stupid enough to do so, maybe for the sake of all the rest of us it is a good thing they decided to go out early before citing trend as a reason for more horrible acts.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
From my experience of people, young suicides are related to emotional and logical paradoxes called double binds. When presented with double binds, there is no path available to successfuly overcoming both imperatives.

In a double bind situation someone may slap you across the face while saying, I love you, that's why I a must beat you into line.
Or something like that. You must be independant, you must listen to your elders. And on and on.

The unresolvable internal conflicts become overwhelming. I once talked someone down from a clearly genuine suicidal conflict, where he had joined the Navy to remove the burdon of support from his mother, but now that he was in the Navy, he was not there to support his mother, and the pay just was not enough.

He had no way out. It took a lot of talking to get to the heart of this. And ultimately he calmed down when I faced him with existence of this unresolvable conflict and the fact that his mother had survived without him for longer than he had been alive.

Now that he was becoming an independant adult, he had to first maintain his independance and self sufficiency before he could help anyone else, otherwise he could only be a burdon.

The point is that unresolvable internal conflicts become all consuming and irrational. Often it takes an honest outside influence to act as looking-glass, so the person can see beyond the mental barriers which they have imposed upon themselves. The unending cycle of recursion saps the psychic energy of the person. More and more of the mental processing power is consumed in an unresolvable spiral of what the person views as failure and inadequacy.

You need to untie knotted double bind perspectives and replace them with healthy perspectives.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
im sry for your lose
i hope everything beacomes better.

i think people suicide beacise they see it as the onley way to exscape this place. exscape all this hate in this world. i onley know of a few ways to help thos who whant to suicide. 1.be there for them whenever they need help. help them threw the hard time in there live. show them that not everything in this world is evil. and
2. if it goes too far and there on the brink. take them somewear else beasides there current place. somewere happy. take them to a spot far away from everything they hate. show them that life is a whonderfull thing and not everything is bad.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
sorry to hear about your friend, my thoughts are with you.

The Bridgend suicides were put down to a suicide pact or a chain reaction, as all of the young people who died knew each other in some way. I have to disagree with previous posters who say it is due to stress and pressure on young people. There has always been pressure & stress on young people, and never has such an influx of suicides been recorded in such a short time.

The problem, i feel, lies not in the stress itself (keeping up with latest trends etc) but in how todays young people deal & cope with it, coupled with a distinct lack of practical support & early detection of depression. It seems that previous generations were alot mentally stronger or could actually talk about their feelings without fear of being labled. There is a huge stigma attatched to depression. Alot of young people dont know the signs, or are too embarrassed to talk about their issues. Now im 21 and so do realise that things can get tough.

When a teenager is being moody,sulky,quiet & un-responsive, it is easy to think that they are just being a "typical teenager". But it is that generalisation that mixes up moody teenagers with those that are depressed & have inner turmoil that needs addressing.

i think that this issue really does need examining and action taken by whatever powers neccessary to prevent such a waste of young lives.

and thank you for posting this thread.

stay strong x

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Thanks for everyones kind replies. Means a lot to me.

I'm not sure that todays youngsters are suffering from too much pressure/stress, I would think that its more likely that youngster from previous generations would of have to of dealt with things alot worse...

However, I agree with Briles that the problem could lie in the way in which young people actually deal with pressure/stress and how they let it affect them.

To be honest, I find it really really sad that todays young people have to resort to suicide in order to cope with their problems, its such a shame.

I suppose there will always be teenage suicides and suicides amongst young people, but I'm absolutely positive that the numbers should be greatly reduced.

Today's media plays a large part aswell in my oppinion, Coronation Street 10 years ago had storylines about ghosts, the local factory and the old shop keeper breaking her leg. Coronation Street has (or has had in recent years) serial killers, rapists, transsexual relationships -you get the picture.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I was a junior in High School, went to school and found out my friend had took his life the night before. We had had a few beers with him and a couple friends. No clue he was in trouble. Since then I have lost 2 more close friends. Its a very difficult thing to understand. Mental illness goes untreated most of the time, including addiction. When I was involved in substance abuse, the thought of ending it all crossed my mind. I got help instead.
Im not sure why there may be more suicides now, I suppose kids are afraid to reach out.
This is a tough subject, Im going for a walk.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
We've taken competition out of our schools and teach our children to win without losing. Then they get older and pressures get out of hand and there's no way out but the easy way. Suicide to me is a cop out and a cowards way of saying goodbye I can't handle life. I do feel for the kids that think it's to hard and don't want to sweat it out and work harder to achieve their goals. Failure isn't the end and competition should be an everyday part of young life to get them ready for the big world. I lost a good friend to suicide and to this day I still wonder why. He was the life of the party and very funny. One night over a girl he took a shotgun and ended his life.
I went through life the same and had break up after broken hearts and cheating etc... I decided to stick it out and live. I wish others could go through those troubled times because in the end you will become a stronger person. Sorry to hear about your friend OP, just don't give up yourself and teach any young friends you have that there is a better way and living does come with trying times.

new topics

top topics

join