It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia ready for 'anything': Medvedev

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
we, the people of the U.S., DID lose the cold war. but we didnt lose it to the USSR. We lost it to the military/industrial/corporate complex. At the end of the cold war, where was the vast economic gain for all americans? What happened to all the money we no longer had to invest in defense? We lost our greatest foe (who even then couldnt compete with us financially or militarily) and yet we continued to INCREASE the billions already wasted on many flawed and useless defense projects. This was all just money handed out to our defense contractors through nepotism and greed, pushed by lobbyists, and with our leaders getting many lucrative kickbacks. Since the 70's our GDP has DOUBLED and yet the purchasing power of the american worker has DROPPED. That means that even though our country is two times as profitable now, 90% of the population has never benefited from it. What happened to the days of my grandfather when one man working in a factory could support a family of 8 or 9, own a house and a car, have a stay at home wife, and the security of knowing that he and his family would have been taken care of after his retirement?? Obviously these things were no longer considered necessary, despite again, the fact that our country is twice as profitable, and we no longer are FORCED to allocate all that money on our military (but we still do). So dont give me that line about how profitable we were at the end of the cold war....it may have been some slight relief for a small time, but not nearly what it should have been, and now we are seeing economic crashing worse than any time since the late 20's, as our corporate leaders are raking in massive profits and obscene bonuses....and being payed billions of our tax dollars for signing risky loans and losing 4million americans their homes.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
This is great news. Finally we are ready for World War 3. Russia will pound Poland with a bombardment of the finest nuclear technology in the world. The United States is too afraid to start a nuclear war but Russia will not hold back at any cost. Poland will be destroyed and the threat of US aggression will come to an end. Just like predicted in the bible.

And let us cross our fingers for total annihilation of the Middle East. We could not ask for anything more thankful than to destroy the most useless part of the world. You got to love politics. I thought they were going to nuke Israel first but of course I'm not a politician running the show in Washington.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by WISHADOW]

[edit on 26-8-2008 by WISHADOW]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Once again I say lets put these world leaders in a cage match and let the leaders duke it out for a few hours, let the rest of us alone. The only good war brings is population control, raises the economy, and give people a focus (away from their own goverments)

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by patrickrpg

Putin would have an advantage, he knows Judo.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by maloy

that was one of the best deny ignorance posts i have seen so far
great post and truly showed how ignorant the OP really is about all this.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Oak
I personally think that Russia and the USA need each other. It is all a matter of balance. We will never fight each other directly, but meet through an intermediary like korea, vietnam, etc...

No one really needs countries that have nuclear stockpiles quite so large and we would all have been better off it the massive arms didn't take place. As for Korea and Vietnam those were attempts by west ( as allowed by US military might) to destroy liberation movements that were attempting to reunite their countries and set their own course in global affairs. The USSR were not responsible for creating those wars but did at first or later arm the north of each of those countries for self defense.

There has been a power void (at least a "perceived" void) since the fall of the Soviet Union. They were are main rivals in everything from Olympic competition to the space race.

Why do we need such overwhelmingly large powers in world affairs?

Without the competition we have become stagnant as a nation. Although I don't want to see war, I am afraid that is exactly what our leaders want and need.

The US economy has been going downhill ( well in the strictest terms) since the mid 70's and the stagnation that have now become apparent to many more Americans were visible to many decades ago. The Japanese didn't need 'competition' to develop possibly the most extensive civilian infrastructure in the world and such feats could have been easily copied in the US if not for the easy excuse of the cold war.

On a side note, I don't think China will ever become our main rival like the USSR was. I base this solely on racism.

Military or economic rival? Why base it solely on racism ?

We as a country would much rather have our rival be someone who looks like us, and in many ways live and act like us. I could be way of base with that analysis, but its the vibe I get.

It's not the type of thing one ultimately chooses and if China choose to embark on a nuclear arms race ( which it doesn't as it's allied with the Russian federation) there wont be much the US government can do but to seriously reconsider the deployment of a new generation of land based ICBMs' or deploy a ABM defense system along Russian lines.

Stellar

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by twisted_fate

The soviet union is back ...

All I can say to that is...great.

Finally we have a country who isn't going to get down on its knees for America.

the uk will be one of the first to feel the heat of russian nuclear warheads, you two countries havent been on good terms in ages

you may be too young to remember the ussr, i would recommend reading up on stalin, lenin and marx, to find out what swell fellows they were...

yes, it is fashionable to be anti-american... right up there with owning an iPhone... tres chic.

who are these countries on their knees for the states? remind us, wont you?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Even I have to give you a (blue, not red) star your your masterful spinning of this topic.

Example, everyone knew that by saying largest country, I meant largest in terms of land area (and acquired by conquest). Same goes for all your other responses. Again, hat's off to you for your masterful pro-soviet propaganda.

[edit on 8/27/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Originally posted by twisted_fate

The soviet union is back ...

All I can say to that is...great.

Finally we have a country who isn't going to get down on its knees for America.

As I would say, its about time we have somebody we can compete with since we are complacent.

The Soviet Union helped the U.S. pushed beyond what we expect in terms of military technology to the next level. Remember the Sputnik?

Usually I find myself in agreement, but you are actually missing the "good ol' days" when we all lived in fear of World War III?

And what about China? Are you so impatient with their rise to super-power status and competition with the U.S. that you want to bring back the soviet union while you wait?

Just

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by feydrautha
you may be too young to remember the ussr, i would recommend reading up on stalin, lenin and marx, to find out what swell fellows they were...
That is the funny part, Stalin was Georgian, Lenin was Russian and Marx was German, so we can say that the Soviet Union was the result of a mix of European ideas.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Were not talking Russia vs US here, its Russia vs US & the EU, military aside the Russians would have to pull off something special to test the 2 largest economies in the world. Ok it supplies Gas to Europe but that isn't enough. This is just more rhetoric babble that we've become accustomed to from Putin and alike recently, the Russian people are great people, they don't deserve another cold war because of mis-guided adventures. The US are responsible too, but lets stop with this constant anti-US garbage that does nothing but make people sound incredibly mis-informed and naive.

People need to step back, stop with the heat, take a pill or get laid or something, no one needs this, not Russia, not the US. Why can't we all warmly embrace eachother, hold hands and sing kum by ya ?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
its funny you say that, because to me Pro-US babblers, patriotic country listening flag wavers are the ones who seem un-informed and naive. It is easy to list all the atrocities that our US government has brought to the world, far harder to list any GOOD our government has brought around. Our government funds much more violence and weapon trade and economic control over banana republics than it does feeding the hungry, providing meds and shelter and water for people around the world.
When you read your history, you will see that all the things we think of as american, all the things that make us great, such as "freedom", equality of the sexes, equality of the races, Labor laws and humane working conditions, rights to protest and change governance....all these things were movements from the left, from the bottom up, and all of them were things those in power, our "government" fought and killed to keep us from getting. It took massive uprisings with many deaths and abuses on the parts of the working poor to get labor laws into effect which protected the workers from Terrible and mortal working conditions, a slavery like existence to the factories....and before it was all over and done with, both the military and the police forces were used around the country to kill and beat into submission low income workers on behalf of the business owners. The same thing goes for equal rights for women, for african americans, etc. People protesting illegal wars of occupation got similarly killed (kent state) beaten and abused. Most of the things we think make us great were taken FROM the government, not given BY the government, and the longer our system has been going on, the harder theyve made it to fight for those things worth fighting for. Now our media and our justice system has fallen to those government powers, and those were 2 of our greatest benefactors. It is generally the educated and the disillusioned who turn to anti americanism, whereas the ignorant, red neck, country loving folk are all strongly pro government, because they have never been able to see in context the effects their country has on those around them, and also because the ignorant are more likely to need such things as nationalism, patriotism, and racism in order to make themselves feel special.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by feydrautha
That is the funny part, Stalin was Georgian, Lenin was Russian and Marx was German, so we can say that the Soviet Union was the result of a mix of European ideas.

Maybe funny to you to play games with where these people came from instead of what they did, but I sincerely doubt that anyone who lived under their iron boots and anyone who lived in fear of their aggression would share your laughter.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by pexx421
its funny you say that, because to me Pro-US babblers, patriotic country listening flag wavers are the ones who seem un-informed and naive. It is easy to list all the atrocities that our US government has brought to the world, far harder to list any GOOD our government has brought around. Our government funds much more violence and weapon trade and economic control over banana republics than it does feeding the hungry, providing meds and shelter and water for people around the world.

Here we have a "good"
example for what passes as a history education these days. In fact, this anti-U.S. indoctrination children are being bombarded with is nothing more than revisionist history at its worst. Please, instead of just relying on what a teacher might have told you, do some of your own research before posting further on threads such as this.

Fact: the U.S. has given more aid to more people in more countries than the rest of the world has combined. And don't give us any of this crap about other (smaller) countries giving more aid "per capita" than the U.S.. I can guarantee you that the people receiving the aid don't give a ratz a$$ about per capita numbers, they just desperately need the aid.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Maybe funny to you to play games with where these people came from instead of what they did, but I sincerely doubt that anyone who lived under their iron boots and anyone who lived in fear of their aggression would share your laughter.
Funny but not funny ha!ha!, if you know what I mean. Maybe I should have said "curious" instead of "funny", but this is how I speak in Portuguese, I always use "engraçado" instead of "curioso".

As someone that lived under a fascist regime I know how things work in that type of regime and how it is when you do not know when the political police will enter your home just because you neighbour does not like you and said you had "subversive books", and let me tell that the best way to fight it is with laughter, not with stupid jokes but by laughing of what we can, mostly of our selves and with situations that are not connected to any type of violence, even if that violence affects only our enemies, they may be our enemies but they are also human beings, and even if we gain something with violence against them it does not make it funny or enjoyable, just needed.

What I was trying to show is that this is not a Russian thing, from the three names that feydrautha posted and that were the base of the creation of the Soviet Union only one was Russian.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
actually when i was in high school, the teachers never taught us a single bad thing about our land, all our generals and presidents where heroes, and lightning danced around their shoulders. It was only after doing my own research, finding that as a country the united states has KILLED more people than any other country in the world that i came to my conclusions. We are regularly at war, have started wars with more people than any other current countries. Our country was founded on the murder of tribes, the enslavement of peoples. Our current administration, like almost all presidents before him, have been involved in war crimes and illegal occupation. We have worked hard to keep the third world 3rd world so we may continue to steal their natural resources at rock bottom prices.
As to foreign aid, 2 things.....1) our PEOPLE are good, and yes, our citizens do a lot to help other people around the world, but dont confuse this with the government, and 2) our government may indeed give massive amounts of aid (especially to our favorite dictators that we installed in places like iraq, el salvador, columbia, panama, etc) but one condition of ANY money we give to people in aid is that 80% MUST BE SPENT BUYING WEAPONS FROM US ARMS MANUFACTURERS. What kind of aid is that? Its aid to chaos and destruction in the world. OR we send around the IMF or World Bank, which is like trade with a stick, its "well lend you some money now, and you will beggar yourself, sell all your resources to corporate thieves, and indenture yourselves to us for the rest of your lives". What we see going on in south america, the middle east, china and russia, are all backlash from people who are tired of having to kowtow to american will at the expense of their freedom and right to self determination.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Fact: the U.S. has given more aid to more people in more countries than the rest of the world has combined.

From NationMaster

Donor (most recent) by country

#1 United Kingdom: $10,700,000,000.00
#2 France: $10,100,000,000.00
#3 Japan: $8,900,000,000.00
#4 United States: $6,900,000,000.00

Does not include military aid.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX

Originally posted by The Oak

No one really needs countries that have nuclear stockpiles quite so large and we would all have been better off it the massive arms didn't take place.

The US economy has been going downhill ( well in the strictest terms) since the mid 70's and the stagnation that have now become apparent to many more Americans were visible to many decades ago. The Japanese didn't need 'competition' to develop possibly the most extensive civilian infrastructure in the world and such feats could have been easily copied in the US if not for the easy excuse of the cold war.

Stellar

Stellar, good points. At first I was inclined to argue some points, but on re-reading I have to agree with just about everything you said. kudos

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
thank you armap, i noticed that centurion just likes to throw blanket statements around, and that much of his comments are just hyperbole. This is typical of the rightist "pro america" crowd who are uneducated about facts and history, and parrot what they hear from other haters like oreilly and limbaugh. Clever talk devoid of facts often persuades many americans, and anger and hate for some reason inspires like in so many american minds. Its like they see these icons of anger and intollerance, and for some reason, want to emulate them.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kcfusion

THe U.S. and Russia both want control of the oil lines in Georgia. That is a big part of the problem. Also, the U.S. and Russia will probably both both be totalitarian eventually.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join