It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why did the mayans leave???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

So it's very similar to what Muslims are doing today?
They've almost conquered Europe.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

So it's very similar to what Muslims are doing today?
They've almost conquered Europe.

The early Arabs yes, mainly now it's been in the opposite direction. Militarily they were pushed out of Spain and Sicily then the Turks and Mongols put them in a submissive state. The Turks fell about and the the West moved in - then left as soon as they could. Western culture is slowly overwhelming the older Islamic ones -part of the reason for the reaction.

Conquered Europe? Hardly

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Geez, what is it with the Europeans' thirst for conquest of the Anericas?
France invaded Canada, England went into the US, Spain into Mexico and Portugal into Brazil.
But all we always hear about is how the early Americans killed of the Native Americans.

Well, actually the French got along pretty well with the locals...you know, in a relationship like that, anyway. And you can pretty well thank the Church. For better or worse, it cared more about saving the souls of the 'savages' than it did about extinguishing them. All the parties took sides as they were divvying up the continent.

As far as Mexico goes, it's pretty well been shown that these large complex societies had little respect for the average Joe, so you can bet that they melted back into the jungle the first opportunity. They got tired of being 'stinkards'.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

The French were more "gentle" at least in North America. That was due to their very low numbers and a trading cultures versus a farming based system. Oddly most of the French didn't actually speak French, but Occitan and Breton.

The French colonies in the Caribbean were a different matter, as soon as all the natives had been killed off they imported hundreds of thousands of African slaves. The situtation was so bad in Haiti that the slaves were able to revolt successfully.

In general the French had a lighter hand than the Brits and certainly the Spanish. They retained more of their old empire than the British, Portuguese or Spanish.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
No culture Disappears. No civilization Dies Out just out of a sudden.
They are assimilated into the Civilization/Culutre more predominant at that time.

Mayan Civilization did just that.

After the decline of Mayan Civilization, Most of it was assimilated into the Toltec culutre.

But still mayans do Exist. No the Ancient "mayans". But of Mayan descent. They still live in some isolated and indegenous communities places in gautemala and like.

Check out this link Mayan Civilization - Decline & Causes

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Leave???? The population vs FOOD was the problem.. The population was too large to sustain they must have run out of food....I dare anyone to come up with a better explanation... If all of them could eat, why would they leave?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by etombo
Leave???? The population vs FOOD was the problem.. The population was too large to sustain they must have run out of food....I dare anyone to come up with a better explanation... If all of them could eat, why would they leave?

These large centres were pretty well meant as ceremonial sites, and largely occupied by a priest/ruling class...supported by regular folks. As such, society was highly stratified and those on the bottom laboured to support those on the top. Many parallels can be drawn using the historical remains of the Mississippian culture in the southern US.

Bottom line is that people get tired of being abused and once the upper class are shown to be mortal by being pulped by conquistadores, the smart ones are going to head for the hills and jungles where there is plenty of food.

...and there are plenty of Mayans out there today...just look for that singular facial profile, and there they are!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

The last Mayan independent city fell to the Spanish in 1697. The collaspe of the classic civilization of separate city states seems to have been around 900 AD, drought and war seem to have been the problem. However the people continued to live there but many of the ceremonial centers were abandoned or put to other uses.

Lots of Maya still around about 6 million or so still retain an association or speak one of the dialects, millions more have taken on Spanish especially the Mestizos.

I use to work with the Maya - they are certainly still there.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

i find your views almost compelling. i have this almost, addiction to the mayan culture. i am curious to learn more about this. almost curious enough to risk a trip to the amazon.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
The clerics were so amazed, in fact, that they decreed the Mayans as devil worshippers, for only the Devil could have told them of such things. The Spanish started to systematicly destroy Mayan texts and books, and the slaughter of people, to keep the heathen teachings down.

This reminds me of what happened to the Pagans, they would not embrace the "new religion, Christianity" , from 20 AD to around 500 AD 99.9% of all Pagan text was destroyed, thousands Pagans were starved or murdered in that period. I have followed John Lash's work on the Gnostic's for years, he has done meticulous research in Belgium for over 20 years at a library near there that has facsimiles of what is left of the Pagan writings. The Pagan's were Cosmologist and Astronomers who discovered we lived in a Galaxy, it wasn't until the thirties and Hubel that we kniew that.
www.metahistory.org

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The mayans were not nearly as centrally organized as many would like to think. The other sedentary groups in pre-columbian latin america, such as the incas and aztecs, were far more socially and "economically" centralized than the Mayas. By the time of the 3rd and 4th conquests, done by Montejo's son, there was not much Mayan civilization left undisturbed, especially in the Yucatan. Due to drought, illness, war (both against the spaniards and amongst themselves), and other effects of Spanish conquest, the population of native Mayans declined sharply, and the few that were left were converted or assimilated into the new colonial era. It's very similar to what happened with the native americans up here in North America. Contrary to popular ATS belief, they did not just up and "disappear", well, no more so than many other native cultures demolished by or enveloped into modern living.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VirginiaGreen

You may wish to review the summary about the Caste War of Yucatan

en.wikipedia.org...

The Maya fought on until the late 19th century

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Very interesting read my friend, much appreciated. All the same, it offers the same answer to the question of where did the Mayan people go? They did no disappear as many would speculate.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
They appear to have just abandonen their cities. As famine and drought brought down the organized cities the farmers somehow survived - or others from farther afield took over the lands. Some cities lasted longer some collapsed immediately some lasted a few centuries.

When I worked around Merida and points to the SE the various Maya (the 'western' educated ones) had a deep interest in their past.

So, they are still there-as are the cities.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
There are still Mayans today. They didn't dissipate, they left.

It's like coming to Pennsylvania and saying all the indians disappeared. They didn't, they just went somewhere else because the whites pushed them westward (or killed them, in which case then yes I guess some did disappear.)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

This is one of my pet peeves, no offense but can you use some common sense please? the mayans did NOT dissapear, if they dissapeared then what in the world are so-called hispanics? they're a bunch of indians that got raped and conquered, im personally a so-called salvadorian so im a descendant of the mayans, nd im not no danm spaniard, many of the more pure blooded ones are pushed into corners of our countries hiding still trying to keep the customs alive but even they know nothing of the true knowledge heritege because if they did they would know they are descendants of the Israelites of the tribes of Zebulon, so no we did not dissapearedwe were conquered and raped by caucasians as punishment from God, which by the way Christ told us about, because we stopped keeping his laws and commandments, the curses of deuteronomy 28 fell on us

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gedaliahbenisrael
reply to post by they see ALL

This is one of my pet peeves, no offense but can you use some common sense please? the mayans did NOT dissapear, if they dissapeared then what in the world are so-called hispanics? they're a bunch of indians that got raped and conquered, im personally a so-called salvadorian so im a descendant of the mayans, nd im not no danm spaniard, many of the more pure blooded ones are pushed into corners of our countries hiding still trying to keep the customs alive but even they know nothing of the true knowledge heritege because if they did they would know they are descendants of the Israelites of the tribes of Zebulon, so no we did not dissapearedwe were conquered and raped by caucasians as punishment from God, which by the way Christ told us about, because we stopped keeping his laws and commandments, the curses of deuteronomy 28 fell on us

Common sense? I had a Belizian over for dinner last night and he proudly proclaims his Mayan/Irish descent. He sure didn't look Jewish.

Methinks there's a disconnect here between fact and dogma.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
And google won't bite your head off for asking a simple question you are curious about.

OP needs to follow the guidelines for posting a thread. Then he would still have his head.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join