It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery virus kills 160

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Mystery virus kills 160

www.hindustantimes.com

Rural Kanpur is fighting its most frightening scourge — a mystery disease that has left a long line of bodies in its trail and doesn’t seem anywhere finished.

What started from one village two weeks ago has now spread to 350 and has so far claimed 160 lives. Thousands more are bed-ridden. On an average, 15 to 20 people have been dying every day; Saturday saw the highest toll in a day: 24.

The district’s health department is somewhat confused about the nature of the disease that has struck. At the beginning, the diagnosis was viral fever. Then doctors concluded that it was falciparum malaria. But after two weeks, they have ruled out both but still don’t have an exact answer.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
160 dead and thousands sick in just a couple of weeks?

Has bird flu been ruled out or are they trying not to make the connection for fear of panic?

Very strange.

- Lee

www.hindustantimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well i found this article, its only a few days old but they strongly suspect its malaria.

But your article says they have ruled out malaria, so i dont know.

Kanpur, August 24 : Malaria outbreaks in Kanpur with reports of at least 500 people falling prey to high fever and many succumbing to the vector spread disease. Over the past few days, several cases of malaria have been reported from Kanpur Dehat of the region. Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of the area, Satya Singh, said that blood samples of about 600 patients have been taken and the area is being sprayed with chemicals to prevent the spread of the disease. "A total of 586 blood samples have been taken. And those patients, who have tested positive for malaria, are being attended to and given all necessary treatment. We are also spraying in the areas, fogging and spraying of DDT is also taking place in those areas," said Singh. Meanwhile, residents said that almost every house in the village had one or two patients suffering from fever possibly malaria. "Many children in our village were running high temperature. But when two children died, our village head informed the hospital authorities, which then sent a team here. The team referred us to this hospital where those suffering (from malaria) are being treated," said Vinod Kumar, a resident. According to some reports, more than 62 people have succumbed to the disease while thousands are affected by malaria that broke out following heavy monsoon rains in central and northern parts of India. Malaria outbreaks are common during the monsoon season in India particularly in northern, eastern and northeastern states.

Source.

Although from another source, which is over 4 years old, says that Bird Flu could very well develop from somewhere like this.

Shariq Alvi, a businessman, for whom chicken dishes were a must eat everyday, has in the last couple of days switched over mutton and fish preparations. "In Kanpur most of the non vegetarian food outlets are not hygenic and bird flu virus could wreck havoc in poultry farms in Chamanganj, Latouche Road, Meston Road and Parade," he says.

Source.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This story is doing the rounds but it's fake. It's from an article posted a couple of years ago. Check the link and see for yourselves.

This story is found on Fark at www.hindustantimes.com...

Look at the date in the top left : )

[edit on 26-8-2008 by Kandinsky]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This type of story is always quite worrisome to me. My work leads me to fly internationally quite often. It would be quite easy for one individual to contract a virus and, via the simple act of entering an airport, disperse it into the rest of the world. It could spread like wildfire. Factor in the thousands of aid workers and researchers who travel to developing areas (with a higher potential for unfamiliar epidemics) and we have a potential catastrophe on our hands. It has not happened yet but the potential is there. Can you imagine what our planet would look like if an unknown and untreatable illness were to spread throughout the world?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
doing some google-investigations, one quickly finds that there is a smiliar outbreak in Afghanistan, and in Nepal..

both seem to indicate hemorrhaging, deaths and relation to flooding..

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Denied

Yea, they ruled out malaria, and apparently Hep E as well. Here is some more info

ATS thread

They started reporting this two weeks ago but only two girls had died at that time. Since then in that one village, the villagers reported 1-2 people in every home having the fever. They are also reporting up to 24 deaths a day to this mystery fever that is spreading like wild fire. "fear of the unknown is causing a mass exodus" now 1000s are ill in the surounding areas.

With the flood waters, the filth and the sick, it has created a very lethal incubator for nasty viruses including H5N1. What is worse, is that they are having a hard time getting Dr's in the area.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

It is not a fake. The date you were looking at is the date the company began. Look down a bit and you will find the date of the story is August 25, 2008.

Unfortunatly this story IS very real.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
ooops. my bad...

[edit on 26-8-2008 by jtma508]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Believe it or not, the best way to keep safe from a killer virus is to avoid contact with it. As with flu and most diseases viruses enter the body through the mouth, nose, eyes, etc. The helpfull tips are.

1. During a time of sickness such as flu season, avoid touching your face with your hands.

2. Wash your hands good before eating or touching your face. When you wash your hands, dry them with a clean paper towel and use the towel to turn off the faucet. This will avoid reinfecting your hands again making washing worthless.

3. If a person is coughing around you, leave the area if you can. If you cannot, stop breathing while the person coughs so as to avoid inhaling the virus. Follow steps 1 and 2 around such people.

I have used this procedure and when my family caught the flu, I did not. It works. I also did not catch it from my workplace in an enclosed industrial building. It's simple, safe, and reliable.

The best place to be if a pandemic infects the nation is away from people as much as you can be. The government will quarrintine everyone to their homes to attempt to stop it when it breaks out (and it will). But when if first beaks out there will be a small window of oppurtunity to leave to some sparsely populated area before they close all the roads.

And don't be taking any kind of vaccine from the government. They could be giving you something else that could kill you.

A very bad virus is coming. I believe it will be manmade for the purpose of reducing the world population. Be prepared. When the shoe falls don't be in any major city.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Make sure your Guns are clean and have plenty of amo. Make sure you have plenty of food stuff. Make sure you have plenty of potable water.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the info guys!

No this story is not fake.

The story is real and quite alarming and I am wondering why the MSM isn't really picking up on it much.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The MSM will... but right now they're all in Denver Colorado. If this is the flu pandemic, it will spread like fire around the world at lightspeed. That's when they'll cover it. But I think Drudgereport posted an article on it at least.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I was most impressed that they just don't truly know what it is. But the living conditions are abhorrent. They better cdc this and get a handle on it but soon. No Drs. That's a problem. They cut school so as not to make the kids walk in molasses of alphabet soup. Problem. Big time.

[edit on 8/26/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It was posted on ProMED yesterday:

PRO/EDR> Undiagnosed fatal illness - India (03): (UP) RFI

UNDIAGNOSED FATAL ILLNESS - INDIA (03): (UTTAR PRADESH), REQUEST FOR
INFORMATION

[url=http://www.promedmail.org/pls/otn/f?p=2400:1001:3509139574824227::NO::F2400_P1001_BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1000,73706]

I hope I inserted the link correctly...

[edit on 27-8-2008 by riverdrive]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by riverdrive

here it is
promed

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

Hmmm, my time wont stay set correct.

Anyway, looking forward to more news from this post thanks.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
No problem.

Here's an update from a couple more sources:

Viral spreads in Kanpur Dehat, full hospitals have no relief for patients

Kanpur Dehat, August 28 Over 1,000 patients are turning up at the District Hospital of Kanpur Dehat every day with complaints of fever.

Till August 15, the number was almost half at 500 patients. While the authorities claim that each patient is being carefully attended, an 11-year-old was not admitted in the District Hospital on Thursday. Deepak Kumar’s father Ashok Kumar was forced to leave his shivering son unattended in the hospital portico, while he went to purchase the medicines. expressindia.com

And from Yahoo News:

Virus spreads in Kanpur, babus fight losing battle

Wed, Aug 27 12:50 AM

Spreading its lethal presence beyond Kanpur Dehat, the mystery virus has begun playing havoc in other districts of Kanpur division. Kannauj has reported 51 deaths in two days while 10 people have died in Farrukhabad in as many days.

The deaths in Kanpur Dehat continue to mount with 11 more being reported on Monday. In a knee-jerk reaction to the epidemic, Navtej Singh, commissioner of Kanpur division that comprises six districts, summoned the chief medical officer of Kannauj.

"I have asked for a detailed report. Additional teams of doctors are being rushed to the district," Singh said.

Yahoo News

Other other recent article was in Denmark and another language.
Why is the MSM not reporting on this in a larger way?

- Lee

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What a colossal mishandling, they have allowed a mass exodus from the 350 villages. Whatever the disease is, if it passes human to human, then they have disseminated it to all of India. The death toll could be in the millions if that proves to be the case. You cannot know the deathrate until about 2 weeks. Most influenza victims die from pneumonia as a secondary infection about two weeks after the initial infection.

new topics

top topics

join