It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do ufos look like ufos (at night at least)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hello all

For a while now i have been perplexed by a thought that seems rather obvious, to me at least. At night, when it is dark enough that only sources of light can be seen, why do ufos have the look of a ufo as we envision them in our culture. If i were an alien, I'd go to down to "space Wal-Mart" and buy some blinking red and white lights for 5 bucks and make my craft look like an airliner would. Yet we see all kinds of bright, colorful, and vibrant displays from alleged ufos. this brings up two disturbing thoughts...

First, if aliens exist, they WOULD have thought of this by now. This means that they either want us to see them, or all the lights we see are not really ufos but are actually explainable circumstances. The idea that they want us to see them is not so disturbing, at least to me, and is the option i prefer to believe.

Second, every time i see what looks to be a plane flying at night, i can't help but think that so many could actually be ufos that nobody would ever suspect. There could be a larger ufo presence than many have speculated just because no one every questions the flashing red and white lights they see night in and night out.

just some food for thought. Try to put yourselves in the shoes of alien visitors and post your opinion on this idea.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by wi1shire

Second, every time i see what looks to be a plane flying at night, i can't help but think that so many could actually be ufos that nobody would ever suspect. There could be a larger ufo presence than many have speculated just because no one every questions the flashing red and white lights they see night in and night out.

just some food for thought. Try to put yourselves in the shoes of alien visitors and post your opinion on this idea.

Or, they could actually be planes flying at night.

Why would our space brothers give us only tantalizing glimpses of themselves rather than a full and dramatic disclosure? Why don't they provide something that will finally allow everyone to say, "YES"?

Perhaps they are intentionally separating the skeptics from the believers for some purpose of their own.

Speaking of food, I wonder which group tastes better.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I dont know, the only real reason I can think of as to why they dont disguise them selves is, Mabye they WANT us to see them. Mabye they want us to know they are their.

Just a thought

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

hey man, i'm right there with ya on the disclosure issue. As i stated, i believe that they do want us to see them and that is a rather provable fact given that they wouldnt have bright ships just because and expect not to be seen. My main point is the added mystery that this idea creates, that we can never know the true nature of the alien observations of or planet.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Please read the entire OP before commenting. I said EXACTLY what you said.

Just a thought

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Tried that, been there. In my case, I try to look at every ufo/plane that comes over head via bino's. I frequent the desert every 2 weeks or so, and I dont quite have much to do, but look up and use my telescope or bino's. Still have yet to see anything out of the norm. I will say this. I was near 29 Palms a few years ago with a few good buddy's and some women. Doing the norm, trying to beat the hangover or atleast slide near it. We all saw massive red lights in the east valley. Bino's and naked eyes, made us go "wow, thats crazy, what is that". Finally dialed in a 8" SCT, sure as SH, flares. They must have floated over from the southern mountains from 29 Palms. You could just see the smoke trails at 200x mag. It did make the night, and spook the girls. You never know.

Keep looking up, just because there are standard nav lights don't mean a thing. Put the Bino or scope on it too.

Take care,

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Please read the entire OP before commenting. I said EXACTLY what you said.

Just a thought

I did. I was just reiterating what you said, because like I said, that is the only real reason I could think of. In other words I was agreeing with your speculation. Is that really a problem that I agreed? You said to state my opinion and I did. I didnt know that I needed your permission to have a similar opinion as yours.

Not that it matters but,I also read the entire thread before posting. Its a huge pet peeve of mine when people post with out reading everything. I even created a thread about it.

So yeah, I did.

Mabye next time think before jumping to conclusions.

Just a thought

EDIT: Correcting typos
[edit on 26-8-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I'm sorry that i did not see the meaning of your post, but when you post two sentences that mirror the OP followed by a VERY frequently sarcastic statement such as "just a thought", i saw no other reason other than you not reading the full post.

On a lighter note, I'm glad you agree with me because i believe that this line of thinking proves that they do want us to see them and realize the presence of other intelligent beings in this universe. The only other explanation would be that there is a whole lot of rampant swamp gas out there being ignited by an invisible fire in our atmosphere. In that case i would be very worried about the air i'm breathing

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I'm sorry that i did not see the meaning of your post, but when you post two sentences that mirror the OP followed by a VERY frequently sarcastic statement such as "just a thought", i saw no other reason other than you not reading the full post.

On a lighter note, I'm glad you agree with me because i believe that this line of thinking proves that they do want us to see them and realize the presence of other intelligent beings in this universe. The only other explanation would be that there is a whole lot of rampant swamp gas out there being ignited by an invisible fire in our atmosphere. In that case i would be very worried about the air i'm breathing

ah, well just to clarify things. The first "just a thought" wasnt meant sarcastically. The second one was meant to mock you to be perfectly honest though.

let me just explain that im usually alot more detailed in my posts. Just not this time. I will try my best in the future to make things more clear for everyone. My fault

Now with that out of the way, Im glad that your glad that I agree with you ( wow thats a mouthfull) It just makes since to me that if they didnt want us to see them they would disguise them selves some how. Similar to the way soldiers where camo so the enemy wont see them as easily. Mabye they are trying to show their intentions. Mabye by not hiding them selves and sneaking around they are trying to show that they come in peace ( cliche, I know).

If they have the ability to get here from where ever they are I would assume that they could disguise them selves if need be. So yes, thats still the best thing I can think of. They want us to see them.

Sory for all the edits. Im just correcting a bunch of typos I just noticed

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Hypothetically, let's say 'they' exist and are indeed coming here (not saying they are or aren't... wait for the question.. here it comes), since you have decided that it *must* be 'they' want 'us' to see them, why are only some of 'us' being picked to see them? Why is it always the same ppl over and over?

I personally am thinking it is a case mistaken flying objects. You see, I am an avid sky watcher (minus the past couple of weeks, which is when I am *sure* 'they' decided to fly by) and I see MANY things that have been described by posters on here yet every single one of them can be explained either as natural or man made.

I just find it odd that the sightings are being seen by only some. I wasn't skeptical in the least until I came here and it is the same people over and over giving the accounts. I find that and the descriptions have made me a pretty damn hard core skeptic.

What is your explanation for seeing these things over and over (this is the question that your post brought up in my head) and not considering the logical over the (what sound to be) wild imaginings?

*puts target on back* FLAME AWAY
I have come to expect it, but won't quit questioning until the defensiveness stops and someone gives a rational explanation why they don't believe the rational.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

Just for the record, i have never seen a UFO, day or night, and i remain skeptical while still contemplating that of the thousands upon thousands of ufo sightings, only one has to be true to prove the whole kit and caboodle. I would probably put myself in the "i would not be surprised" camp as far as alien/ufo existence

My questions raised are more of a "what if" game of thought on just how aliens might go about watching us from their craft. It seems to me, as i said in another reply, that if the lights are alien, then they want us to be aware that they are there.

Now you've done it. You got me thinking now and it doesn't make much sense anymore. If u can agree that they want us to see them, then why don't they just come out and expose themselves. The least they could do is fly around more often and show more people that the lights in the sky are intelligent beings. Instead, they appear sporadically, rarely in groups, and never do much to irrefutably show that they are intelligent. I'm gunna count that as one point for the non-believers. Not exactly the direction i thought this line of thinking would take me but it seems logical.

lets call it even

[edit on 26-8-2008 by wi1shire]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
Hypothetically, let's say 'they' exist and are indeed coming here (not saying they are or aren't... wait for the question.. here it comes), since you have decided that it *must* be 'they' want 'us' to see them, why are only some of 'us' being picked to see them? Why is it always the same ppl over and over?

I personally am thinking it is a case mistaken flying objects. You see, I am an avid sky watcher (minus the past couple of weeks, which is when I am *sure* 'they' decided to fly by) and I see MANY things that have been described by posters on here yet every single one of them can be explained either as natural or man made.

I just find it odd that the sightings are being seen by only some. I wasn't skeptical in the least until I came here and it is the same people over and over giving the accounts. I find that and the descriptions have made me a pretty damn hard core skeptic.

What is your explanation for seeing these things over and over (this is the question that your post brought up in my head) and not considering the logical over the (what sound to be) wild imaginings?

*puts target on back* FLAME AWAY
I have come to expect it, but won't quit questioning until the defensiveness stops and someone gives a rational explanation why they don't believe the rational.

hmm. thats a good question. To be honest it is something I have thought about myself.

I wish I knew for sure, but I dont so I can only speculate. I wonder if mabye its not that they are willing only to show them selves to certain people but mabye its just that only certain people are willing to see it and say yes thats a ufo.

I dont know, like I said I can only speculate. I have seen three ufos before but two could easily be explained away as a whether balloon and military flares. But the first one that I saw. well I never could come with an earthly explanation for it.

The one that I saw that I feel could could be explained away as a whether balloon My mom was with me as I was driving her to a doctors apointment. I noticed it when we got out of the car. She refused to even look up because she flat out refuses to believe in "such nonsense" She wont even acknowlege the possibilty of life on another planet. It took me all of 30 seconds to decide it was just a whether ballon. She still wouldnt look at it. I dont know if the majority of the world is in a similar state of denial ( or whatever you want to call it) but mabye thats why.

I dont know if this answers your question in a way you like. But its the best I can do personally. I dont know the answer. I dont even know if the reason why they dont disguise them selves is because they want us to see them.

Untill we know the truth for sure we cant really do more than just speculate. The answer I thought of feels right to me in my heart. So untill I learn other wise or untill I find a different possible answer that feels even more right, I just have to stick with this one.

I hope that helps. That is the best possible answer I am capable of giving at this stage of my life.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
High Five to all skeptics! hehe

That's what I am saying. I *did* believe that there had to be something flying around and such because I would hear tid bits all over the place. Then I came here and actually READ the accounts and being an avid star gazer (and hopeful UFO spotter), I could explain all but the fantastical accounts. And usually the fantastical accounts didn't start out as fantastical.. they got more and more fantastical the more one would post links to show how it could be explained logically.

Then the *phoenix* chick came into a thread and said I had stated my point enough and that sealed the deal for me that at least MOST of the believers want to believe so badly that they will deny all logical sense which led me to the conclusion that I will not ever say I believe again until I see something as fantastical as they claim to have.... I am not holding my breath.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
wi1shire,

Even and even my friend.

Im glad we could work it out.

peace

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

I will not ever say I believe again until I see something as fantastical as they claim to have.... I am not holding my breath.

Fair enough. I certainly understand. I am just lucky enough to be one of the few who have seen something "fantastical". I wont go into what because it doesnt really have anything to do with the thread.

But I can honestly say that if it werent for that one even I wouldnt really believe either.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   

At least you are honest about being able to identify the first two. There are just too many reasons why I don't buy into it completely anymore and honestly have just quit reading the threads. This is the first one I have opened in a while and I can not say that I am disappointed. At least there is a show that you all are willing to be logical with me here rather than barking at me to leave.

I just can't get over the fact that it is the same ppl seeing these things over and over... and it usually goes something like this:

"OMg, I just stepped outside for a cigarette and happened to get this 'feeling' when suddenly I looked up and saw this flashing light just sitting there. Then it moved. and then it........."

But yet I am out there most nights (minus, again, the last two nights) enjoying the view, NOT having just stepped out for a cigarette, but rather enjoying the view for hours at a time and have seen nothing that can't be explained and often sounds much like the descriptions (that is until you tell them, then suddenly they forgot a random detail that makes it "different", yet suddenly even less credible in my mind).

I am not trying to be rude... just trying to be REAL. I honestly am starting to think that ppl believe their tales bc they want to feel special.. maybe not all, but a good majority. Otherwise, why is it only these same ppl seeing them over and over.

edited to add: I just saw your reply to my reply to the op. This is really the only thing I had to ask in relevence to this topic and thus, having been dealt with fairly really have nothing further to add. Thanks for entertaining the question.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

At least you are honest about being able to identify the first two. There are just too many reasons why I don't buy into it completely anymore and honestly have just quit reading the threads. This is the first one I have opened in a while and I can not say that I am disappointed. At least there is a show that you all are willing to be logical with me here rather than barking at me to leave.

edited to add: I just saw your reply to my reply to the op. This is really the only thing I had to ask in relevence to this topic and thus, having been dealt with fairly really have nothing further to add. Thanks for entertaining the question.

Im always as honest as possible here on ATS. I see no reason to lie or strecth the truth or exagerate. I feel no need to impress the people of ATS with my stories.

I hate it when people make a claim about anything and as soon as you show even a hint of doubt or begin to question them they become so upset and start with the insults and things of that nature. They just expect us to take their word for it as if asking for evidence is a ridiculous request.

For that reason I dont blame you for reading the threads anymore.

I would never bark at anyone to leave just because I disagree with them on whatever the matter is. Especially when I myself dont know the answer. For all I know your right and Im wrong. and if thats the case id look pretty silly trying to throw you out.

Like I said, 2 out of the three ufo's I have seen could be easily explained away. But its just that one that I couldnt find a logical explanation for I tried, believe me, But I couldnt. The only thing I was left with was that it was indeed a real ufo.

Sorry for rambling I just enjoy talking to a logical person who is willing to consider more than one explanation, instead of just deciding its THIS and anybody who says its THAT is a blankity blankity blank.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Not that I dissapprove, but this has kinda sidetracked.

I want to get back to the OP. Does anyone else have a different perspective on this or has anyone seen a ufo disguising itself with commercial plane lighting?

top topics

join